+ Reply to Thread

Newbie Draft Question

Hi. This is my first post. I've been catching up on the draft related posts and appreciate the level of thought and analysis that you all have put in. I feel like I have learned alot.

Like many others, I would like to see OL upgrades - hopefully 2 quality, long-term starters, though not necessarily taken in the early rounds. In many mocks that I've seen players such as Lewan, Ebron, Dennard, and Mosely are all forecast as possible selections.

My question for those that have done alot of analysis, is there a significant difference, in terms of value and performance quality, between the OL prospects currently graded for the first round - Matthews, Robinson, Lewan - from those projected to go in the second or third round - Moses, Tiny Richardson, Seantrel Henderson?

I know that the Giants tend to draft BPA so we don't truly know where on their Big Board any of the players fall. But, hypothetically speaking, if they are prioritizing OL and CB, would they be better off with a Lewan and Round 2 graded CB, or Dennard and a Round 2 graded OL?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my rambling.

Absolutely. There is a huge difference between Matthews and the following OL within the first round, some of which probably won't even be LTs which is where the most value is in.

And the greatest need for the Giants is in the interior which there isn't that much value for at 12.

Also, I don't know what blocking scheme will come with a new OC. Giants line has run both in the past 5 years with the zone/stretch used with what I suspect as a means to ease the deficiencies in a line that has been in transition for some time. But favoring one scheme over another can completely take a certain lineman off the Giants' board altogether.
    Last edited by penguinfarmer; 01-31-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeePartier19 View Post
    Hi. This is my first post. I've been catching up on the draft related posts and appreciate the level of thought and analysis that you all have put in. I feel like I have learned alot.

Like many others, I would like to see OL upgrades - hopefully 2 quality, long-term starters, though not necessarily taken in the early rounds. In many mocks that I've seen players such as Lewan, Ebron, Dennard, and Mosely are all forecast as possible selections.

My question for those that have done alot of analysis, is there a significant difference, in terms of value and performance quality, between the OL prospects currently graded for the first round - Matthews, Robinson, Lewan - from those projected to go in the second or third round - Moses, Tiny Richardson, Seantrel Henderson?

I know that the Giants tend to draft BPA so we don't truly know where on their Big Board any of the players fall. But, hypothetically speaking, if they are prioritizing OL and CB, would they be better off with a Lewan and Round 2 graded CB, or Dennard and a Round 2 graded OL?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my rambling.
    I would like to say that there is definitely a significant difference b/t Matthews and Robinson compared to the 2nd round OL... I would be very happy with Dennard in the first (feel like Detroit takes him though...) or Justin Gilbert in round 1and someone like Xavier Su'a-Filo or Gabe Jackson in the 2nd

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

It really varies year to year. This year, I would say there is a pretty big difference between the top guys and the 2nd tier guys. The exception might be the center position which is pretty deep.

the difference i feel is that we really don't need a premiere LT (well actually, we do, but with the money given to Beatty it is just not really worth getting a premiere LT this year)

so, in terms of overall talent, yes Matthews and Robinson are much more talented than the Guards in round 2. However, since we really only need guards/centers, there are plenty talented guys to be had in the second and third rounds. if that makes any sense