+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    If Mack or Barr fall to no 12, does JR do it?

    Obviously he hasn't drafted LBers high from going off he previous drafts. I remember the rumor was we were set to take Rolando McClain before Oakland took him (thank god). So that indicates he isn't averse to picking a LB in round 1. But the consensus out there in the media is that he doesn't like picking LB high. Is that true? What is true is that we need talent in the LB corp, no doubt even though we have other holes to fill. With that, I truly wonder if he would take Barr or Mack given the chance! or even CJ Mosley. After the combine, someone might rise or fall though. While we could use a lineman, or. WR or CB at 12, I'd love a sick LB to pair with a resigned Beason next year.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    589
    Depends on the current board but I doubt it. And since Fewell doesn't know what LBs are for I doubt it would be a good pick either.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Depends on the current board but I doubt it. And since Fewell doesn't know what LBs are for I doubt it would be a good pick either.
    You can't blame Fewell for our linebacker dilemna. We gave him a decent LB and he utilized him just fine. He also had great success with the Chase Blackburns of the world who OVER-ACHIEVED

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Geebanga718 View Post
    You can't blame Fewell for our linebacker dilemna. We gave him a decent LB and he utilized him just fine. He also had great success with the Chase Blackburns of the world who OVER-ACHIEVED
    I don't' blame Fewell for being given crap to work with. I blame him for his lack of stones to blitz and I blame him for having terrible blitzes in the off chance he does do it. If you get a Barr or a Mack then they need to pass rush a lot. Fewell won't do that.

  5. #5
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    39,481
    They have not really passed on any great LB talent in the first round.

    But overall most teams don't place a premium on non pass rushing LBs.

    Barr is certainly a pass rusher, and Mack might be. So they have more value than a "standard" LB.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    They have not really passed on any great LB talent in the first round.

    But overall most teams don't place a premium on non pass rushing LBs.

    Barr is certainly a pass rusher, and Mack might be. So they have more value than a "standard" LB.
    Which is precisely why I think they would be wonderful picks granted they fall to 12. But who know where the Big Boards lie after the Senior Bowl, combine, etc. Anyway, having one of them who can play the run, drop into coverage, and rush would be a huge asset to our team. We haven't had that element since basically Kawika Mitchell. It would create serious matchup problems, and we'd have a linebacker that could help with defending against the athletic TEs in our division.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    They have not really passed on any great LB talent in the first round.

    But overall most teams don't place a premium on non pass rushing LBs.

    Barr is certainly a pass rusher, and Mack might be. So they have more value than a "standard" LB.
    I have a hard time projecting Mack as a pass rusher. 1 reason is I dont have as much game tape of him as the others , 2nd he hasnt gone up against many elite tackles.1 of these days im going to have sift through all his tape and just focus on pass rushing situations and grade those. Might be a good piece for Draftbreakdown

  8. #8
    All-Pro titwio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bronx NYC
    Posts
    9,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I have a hard time projecting Mack as a pass rusher. 1 reason is I dont have as much game tape of him as the others , 2nd he hasnt gone up against many elite tackles.1 of these days im going to have sift through all his tape and just focus on pass rushing situations and grade those. Might be a good piece for Draftbreakdown
    Mack certainly ripped up OSU who have one of the better O-line units in college football. 9.5 tackles 2.5 sacks and pick six. Of the two I like Mack better for the Giants just because he seems better in space. I really like Barr but it's the same thing fans were complaining about when the Giants drafted Clint Sintim. He's better suited as a 3-4 OLB. Actually both these guys are but I think Mack is better suited to playing in a 4-3.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    Mack certainly ripped up OSU who have one of the better O-line units in college football. 9.5 tackles 2.5 sacks and pick six. Of the two I like Mack better for the Giants just because he seems better in space. I really like Barr but it's the same thing fans were complaining about when the Giants drafted Clint Sintim. He's better suited as a 3-4 OLB. Actually both these guys are but I think Mack is better suited to playing in a 4-3.
    Yeah he was great against OSU but I have to look at how he got the sacks or pressure to see if its repeatable in the NFL. For example Michael Sam has better pass rush numbers than Kony Ealy but Ealy was the 1 where teams would slide their protection against especially at the start of the season where Sam recorded most of his numbers. When the protections evened Ealys numbers went up and Sams disappeared

  10. #10
    All-Pro titwio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bronx NYC
    Posts
    9,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Yeah he was great against OSU but I have to look at how he got the sacks or pressure to see if its repeatable in the NFL. For example Michael Sam has better pass rush numbers than Kony Ealy but Ealy was the 1 where teams would slide their protection against especially at the start of the season where Sam recorded most of his numbers. When the protections evened Ealys numbers went up and Sams disappeared
    Yeah that's a good point and your definitely more suited to figuring those type of in-depth stats situations out than I am. I don't have the same kinds of resources you do. Anyway, if you break down those statistics, I liked to check them out if you get a chance.

    Just going off the eye test though...I still think Mack is better suited in 4-3 than Barr is. I wouldn't mind either of them though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts