Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Why are the Giants overlooked so often?

Hello everyone...Being new to the boards I was hoping toget some good answers in regards to why it seems the Giants are always overlooked. In 2007 we went to the Superbowl with expectations of firingthe coach at the beginning of the season. In 2008 we were smashing teams until Plax had his incident. Last year, well we all know what happened last year, tons of injuries, people not stepping up and of course the safeties, not to mention Sheridan. Eli had one if his best year as a quarterback and Steve Smith was a beast along with Hakkem nicks. Even though we've been to the playofss consistenly over the last couple of years and have a ring it seems no matter what we do we're always being picked to be a dreadful team. We have the talent to play with anybody in this league, so why do we constantly get treated like we're the lion?

Re: Why are the Giants overlooked so often?

in 2008 we were the #1 ranked team almost the whole year so I don't know how you say we were overlooked

Your right about 2008, but wht i meant was before the season even started they they retty much said 2007 was a fluke and didn't give us a chnace at even repeating until the season started looking good for us.

One thing I noticed was that Steve Smith's Touchdown in the Pro Bowl wasn't even in the highlights of the game on nfl.com

Veteran

That's what happens when you are the #1 seed following a Superbowl win and you choke at home and then finish 8-8 in the subsequent season with 2 incredibly embarrassing performances.

It's called "lying in the bed you have made"

I do agree with you in regards to last season but let me ask you something? Whether we were 8-8 or 10-6 can you honestly say that ESPN and everyone else and their dog still wouldn't be saying that we're going to do awful this season. That's the point that i was trying to make. it doesn't matter if we're 11-5, 10-6,8-8 in my eyes the Giants are alwasy looked at as a sub par team.

[quote user="GIANTSED101"]

Your right about 2008, but wht i meant was before the season even started they they retty much said 2007 was a fluke and didn't give us a chnace at even repeating until the season started looking good for us.

[/quote]

this guy had us as the #1 team in May of 2008

http://walterfootball.com/analysis.php

Hey thanks, I forgot about that article..I don't mean to sound like the Giants are the the best thing since sliced cheese but every year we have to hear about Dallas and Romo, and the Eagles and now the Redskins are going to be good becasue Donovan so all of a sudden we're at the bottom of the heap again. Atleast show us some love, heck we do have some pro bowlers on the team that can ball.

[quote user="GIANTSED101"]Hello everyone...Being new to the boards I was hoping toget some good answers in regards to why it seems the Giants are always overlooked. In 2007 we went to the Superbowl with expectations of firingthe coach at the beginning of the season. In 2008 we were smashing teams until Plax had his incident. Last year, well we all know what happened last year, tons of injuries, people not stepping up and of course the safeties, not to mention Sheridan. Eli had one if his best year as a quarterback and Steve Smith was a beast along with Hakkem nicks. Even though we've been to the playofss consistenly over the last couple of years and have a ring it seems no matter what we do we're always being picked to be a dreadful team. We have the talent to play with anybody in this league, so why do we constantly get treated like we're the lion?[/quote]

I hear what your saying. The Giants aren't media darlings. Even if people ranked them as the #1 team in '08...what are you not going to rank the best team #1?

Just within our division...the Cowboys are loved by the media, the Eagles are loved by the media, and I would even say the Redskins.

In my opinion each of those organizations severly promote their teams. Dallas and Jerry Jones...enough said. The Redskins have been terrible but Snider always makes good headlines. And the Eagles organization always crowns themselves the best team in the league every year and the media loves it.

I would say it's part of the Giants kind ofold style MO. You don't see them waving their logo in everyone's face or saying we are the best or making crazy decisions. So, in the media eyes I would think they are somewhat boring and they could care less about them. You mayget some quotes out of players like, Plax, Shockey and such butthat happens everywhere.

[quote user="GIANTSED101"]Hello everyone...Being new to the boards I was hoping toget some good answers in regards to why it seems the Giants are always overlooked. In 2007 we went to the Superbowl with expectations of firingthe coach at the beginning of the season. In 2008 we were smashing teams until Plax had his incident. Last year, well we all know what happened last year, tons of injuries, people not stepping up and of course the safeties, not to mention Sheridan. Eli had one if his best year as a quarterback and Steve Smith was a beast along with Hakkem nicks. Even though we've been to the playofss consistenly over the last couple of years and have a ring it seems no matter what we do we're always being picked to be a dreadful team. We have the talent to play with anybody in this league, so why do we constantly get treated like we're the lion?[/quote]

The fact of the matter is, in 2007, the big story was the NE Patriots going for 19-0! All the talking heads predicted it, it's all they talked about, and the various networks spent millions pre-planning all of the specials that would celebrate the Patriots' "perfect season".......and then the Giants upset New England in SB 42, there was no "perfect season" (except for us Giants fans of course LOL) and a lot of so called "experts" were left looking very stupid.... and of course.... all the "perfect season" specials had to be scrapped, and the money flushed down the crapper! They haven't forgotten that, and the Giants have been in their crosshairs ever since. The talking heads may occasionally, begrudgingly throw the Giants a compliment, but they always announce a Giants loss with louder voices, and just a bit more enthusiasm than they will a Giants' win! Thats my story and i'm sticking to it!!!!!