+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Bigger Role for Jerrel Jernigan possible in 2014

With the new hires at OC and QB coach there are some hints to what the new Giant offense will like. 1 player that could benefit greatly from the OC change is Jerrel Jernigan who never quite got his skill set maximized why Gilbride was the OC. Gilbride never quite figured out how to get 2 inside receivers going at the same time and the Giants lack of imagination involving personnel packages and formations doomed Jernigan. While at Troy Jernigan was lined up all over the field, in fact he had 48 rushing attempts his Senior year and finished 10th in the Nation in all purpose yards. Jernigan was used in the exact same way Randall Cobb of the Green Bay Packers was used at Kentucky.However when Jernigan reached the NFL the different formations and plays designed to get him the ball in space stopped while the Packers utilized those skills from Cobb. Now with the new direction of the offense beginning to take shape Jernigan may finally start seeing the plays called for him that Jerry Reese envisioned when selecting the Troy WR. With the loss of Nicks imminent getting offensive production from the entire offense could limit the sting and make the Giants harder to defend. Seeing how Cobb and Brandin Cooks from Langsdorf's Oregon State offense have been utilized its quite possible in 2014 Jernigan will be deployed in a similar fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    With the new hires at OC and QB coach there are some hints to what the new Giant offense will like. 1 player that could benefit greatly from the OC change is Jerrel Jernigan who never quite got his skill set maximized why Gilbride was the OC. Gilbride never quite figured out how to get 2 inside receivers going at the same time and the Giants lack of imagination involving personnel packages and formations doomed Jernigan. While at Troy Jernigan was lined up all over the field, in fact he had 48 rushing attempts his Senior year and finished 10th in the Nation in all purpose yards. Jernigan was used in the exact same way Randall Cobb of the Green Bay Packers was used at Kentucky.However when Jernigan reached the NFL the different formations and plays designed to get him the ball in space stopped while the Packers utilized those skills from Cobb. Now with the new direction of the offense beginning to take shape Jernigan may finally start seeing the plays called for him that Jerry Reese envisioned when selecting the Troy WR. With the loss of Nicks imminent getting offensive production from the entire offense could limit the sting and make the Giants harder to defend. Seeing how Cobb and Brandin Cooks from Langsdorf's Oregon State offense have been utilized its quite possible in 2014 Jernigan will be deployed in a similar fashion
    I couldn't agree with you more. I expect big contributions from Jernigan with these guys running the offensive machine. Jernigan will get more opportunities now and will make good on them just like he did the last 3 games of the year. Gilbride failed miserably with getting Jernigan's skills utilized until he lost Cruz then he had no choice but use Jernigan. I believe it was a contributing factor in Gilbride's demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. I expect big contributions from Jernigan with these guys running the offensive machine. Jernigan will get more opportunities now and will make good on them just like he did the last 3 games of the year. Gilbride failed miserably with getting Jernigan's skills utilized until he lost Cruz then he had no choice but use Jernigan. I believe it was a contributing factor in Gilbride's demise.
    I was a big fan of the Jernigan pick and I thought his all purpose skills would bring a new wrinkle to the offense.The thing is we never got to see the new wrinkle he just stayed on the bench behind Cruz. They never tried to incorporate the things that made him successful in college which is mind blowing considering thats why they drafted him. I think this is the type of offense Reese has wanted all along and now he has finally got the opportunity to fit players to his vision

I would think he played well enough near the end of this season to warrant a bigger role.

I was a big fan of the Jernigan pick and I thought his all purpose skills would bring a new wrinkle to the offense.The thing is we never got to see the new wrinkle he just stayed on the bench behind Cruz. They never tried to incorporate the things that made him successful in college which is mind blowing considering thats why they drafted him. I think this is the type of offense Reese has wanted all along and now he has finally got the opportunity to fit players to his vision
    to be fair though, it was KG who started utilizing him those final couple weeks. problem was, it took cruz being out.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    to be fair though, it was KG who started utilizing him those final couple weeks. problem was, it took cruz being out.
    2nd half of Denver, Carolina, KC all were great opportunities to get him some snaps. You might have already have covered this, but TC said the receiver we saw in the last couple of games had no resemblance to the JJ that came to camp in 2013.

It's sounds like BS to me. Cruz got hurt and JJ came in and made plays that we didn't know he could make. We didn't know because of how sparingly we used him this season, and since he's been hear really.

We still don't know if he is for real, but he showed you how he can make impact plays if you get him the ball in space. He was making good plays on end arounds, so TC's talk of how he wasn't ready to be in the game is BS. He knew how to run that play since high school.
    In the tough times we find out who we are...that's why I know VC will be back better than ever in 2015. #80 NYG4life!

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    2nd half of Denver, Carolina, KC all were great opportunities to get him some snaps. You might have already have covered this, but TC said the receiver we saw in the last couple of games had no resemblance to the JJ that came to camp in 2013.

It's sounds like BS to me. Cruz got hurt and JJ came in and made plays that we didn't know he could make. We didn't know because of how sparingly we used him this season, and since he's been hear really.

We still don't know if he is for real, but he showed you how he can make impact plays if you get him the ball in space. He was making good plays on end arounds, so TC's talk of how he wasn't ready to be in the game is BS. He knew how to run that play since high school.
    Right. Because playing in the NFL is JUST like playing in HS. And Coughlin is lying, according to you. Why would he lie about his assessment of Jernigan? I mean, really, why would he publicly lie about that? You don't think that would come out, if he were?

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post

How many times did the Giants try to use a personnel groupings that had both Cruz and Jernigan featured inside. Throw a short pass and let them run, but no every ball has to be tossed 40 yards down field to elicit a big play nevermind the Giants have players with home run ability that dont get the ball enough. This is where players like Jernigan , Cruz and yes David Wilson might be able to drive the Giants offense. Sprinkle in James Jones as Nicks replacement draft Ebron or Amaro, sign a Guard , draft a Center and suddenly this offense doesnt look broken anymore

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    Word. I know the rise of Cruz kept JJ off the field, but KG and TC's stubborn mentality of not wanting to change the offense is what kept him off the field and thus wasted the draft pick because he wasn't given a chance to develop. They didn't want two slot-type receivers on the field at once, so the following year they grabbed Randle in R2 to replace Manningham, an outside guy, for the sake of keeping things the same. They could have invested that pick or the financial resources associated with it on an OL to help Eli and change the offense a little. A higher % offense with more quick passes to shifty guys like Cruz and JJ. Barden, because of his size, would have been a good enough change-of-pace guy to throw in there every now and then. Dink and dunk first, take shots down field later.

I think that observation of Reese is a good 1 when you look at his offensive picks, they scream "west coast offense"