+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigger Role for Jerrel Jernigan possible in 2014

Bigger Role for Jerrel Jernigan possible in 2014

With the new hires at OC and QB coach there are some hints to what the new Giant offense will like. 1 player that could benefit greatly from the OC change is Jerrel Jernigan who never quite got his skill set maximized why Gilbride was the OC. Gilbride never quite figured out how to get 2 inside receivers going at the same time and the Giants lack of imagination involving personnel packages and formations doomed Jernigan. While at Troy Jernigan was lined up all over the field, in fact he had 48 rushing attempts his Senior year and finished 10th in the Nation in all purpose yards. Jernigan was used in the exact same way Randall Cobb of the Green Bay Packers was used at Kentucky.However when Jernigan reached the NFL the different formations and plays designed to get him the ball in space stopped while the Packers utilized those skills from Cobb. Now with the new direction of the offense beginning to take shape Jernigan may finally start seeing the plays called for him that Jerry Reese envisioned when selecting the Troy WR. With the loss of Nicks imminent getting offensive production from the entire offense could limit the sting and make the Giants harder to defend. Seeing how Cobb and Brandin Cooks from Langsdorf's Oregon State offense have been utilized its quite possible in 2014 Jernigan will be deployed in a similar fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    With the new hires at OC and QB coach there are some hints to what the new Giant offense will like. 1 player that could benefit greatly from the OC change is Jerrel Jernigan who never quite got his skill set maximized why Gilbride was the OC. Gilbride never quite figured out how to get 2 inside receivers going at the same time and the Giants lack of imagination involving personnel packages and formations doomed Jernigan. While at Troy Jernigan was lined up all over the field, in fact he had 48 rushing attempts his Senior year and finished 10th in the Nation in all purpose yards. Jernigan was used in the exact same way Randall Cobb of the Green Bay Packers was used at Kentucky.However when Jernigan reached the NFL the different formations and plays designed to get him the ball in space stopped while the Packers utilized those skills from Cobb. Now with the new direction of the offense beginning to take shape Jernigan may finally start seeing the plays called for him that Jerry Reese envisioned when selecting the Troy WR. With the loss of Nicks imminent getting offensive production from the entire offense could limit the sting and make the Giants harder to defend. Seeing how Cobb and Brandin Cooks from Langsdorf's Oregon State offense have been utilized its quite possible in 2014 Jernigan will be deployed in a similar fashion
    I couldn't agree with you more. I expect big contributions from Jernigan with these guys running the offensive machine. Jernigan will get more opportunities now and will make good on them just like he did the last 3 games of the year. Gilbride failed miserably with getting Jernigan's skills utilized until he lost Cruz then he had no choice but use Jernigan. I believe it was a contributing factor in Gilbride's demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. I expect big contributions from Jernigan with these guys running the offensive machine. Jernigan will get more opportunities now and will make good on them just like he did the last 3 games of the year. Gilbride failed miserably with getting Jernigan's skills utilized until he lost Cruz then he had no choice but use Jernigan. I believe it was a contributing factor in Gilbride's demise.
    I was a big fan of the Jernigan pick and I thought his all purpose skills would bring a new wrinkle to the offense.The thing is we never got to see the new wrinkle he just stayed on the bench behind Cruz. They never tried to incorporate the things that made him successful in college which is mind blowing considering thats why they drafted him. I think this is the type of offense Reese has wanted all along and now he has finally got the opportunity to fit players to his vision

I would think he played well enough near the end of this season to warrant a bigger role.

I was really down on JJ but he showed me something this year. hopefully he can build on the little bit of success this year and be a diamond in the ruff for us
    FUTURE NFL STAR

can't leave him on the sideline.. have to get JJ and Cruz on the field together..

kind of like Amendola and Edelman

nice post redeye. it was in some thread that i made this exact same point.bubble screens, quick hitters, and quick breaking routes is exactly what JJ did at Troy. he lit up the sun belt conference. i constantly would use JJ as an example for when discussing how KG wasn't optimizing his offense based upon its personnel, but rather te opposite, he tried to force talent/personnel into his offense.

its like you took that post and detailed it. nicely written.

oh yeah its the thread discussng the new QB coach. I believe you posted clips of his offense and described what they utilized. Wat you described sounded like a perfect match for JJ.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Even before he got more chances this year he seemed to have something with his limited opportunities. Hope he does get more chances with a new OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    can't leave him on the sideline.. have to get JJ and Cruz on the field together..

kind of like Amendola and Edelman
    They could be like Cobb and Boykin in the GB offense. I hope JJ gets a fair shot because he could put up some nice numbers this year. I wonder if the QB coach coming from Oregon St was because he ran an offense like how McAdoo wants to do. They ran a ton of screens and quick passes and I think JJ could really due well in that type of system. Watching his highlights when we drafted him I thought he was going to be a freak. Hopefully we can let him loose and he goes off next season

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

**** sorry redeye I didn't read the entire thing because I am in class but I basically repeated a lot of the same things you said.. I agree with just about everything you said. Nice post!

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

+ Reply to Thread