+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigger Role for Jerrel Jernigan possible in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
    What it tells me is your line of thinking has pot holes. You stated Jernigan didn't make an impact on special teams as Cobb did right off the bat and therefore the offensive brain trust for the Giants wouldn't see a need to get Jerny on the field as the Packers did with Cobb. My point was Jernigan showed enough to be our kick off returner in the Super Bowl. It was not like he hadn't done anything to enforce the obvious reasons the Giants drafted him in the 3rd round. The fact that it was 2011 is really immaterial. If fact if anything it supports that the Giants saw early the exciting skill set he displayed in college. The main point - you don't handicap an offensive weapon because he's not rocking it on special teams. Over and out.
    You're right, you don't handicap an "offensive weapon" because he's not rocking it on special teams. You hesitate to put him on the field when he fails to be an offensive weapon--as he did for nearly 3 seasons--AND is not rocking it on special teams. When drafted, Reese and/or Coughlin stated that while it may take some time for Jernigan to settle in to become an impact receiver, that they at least expected him to be an immediate impact returner. They expected this because it takes little time to be an effective returner if one is very good, but it can take even very good WRs a while to get all the routes right, to get separation on a timely basis, etc.

Well, despite Jernigan's SB return(s) at end of his rookie year, he never had any kind of return game--unlike, say, Wilson, who DID succeed almost immediately in the return game throughout his rookie year.

All this fantasy about Coughlin and Gilbride deliberately, or incompetently, sabotaging Giants offense specifically by withholding Jernigan from the field FOR NO REASON--because after all that is what you and your cohorts are saying with your thinking on this subject-- is plain nuts.

And of course there is the other part of this equation that no one seems to consider. That it may well have taken this long for Eli to trust Jernigan enough to throw the ball his way in various situations. Every QB has one or two receivers he trusts in ALL situations more than he does other receivers. It's easy to sit at your computer and say in hindsight "see, I told you......!" after the fact, but nobody knows what is REALLY going on between QB-coach-receiver in practice or in an actual game. That's a ten-four to you, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I was a big fan of the Jernigan pick and I thought his all purpose skills would bring a new wrinkle to the offense.The thing is we never got to see the new wrinkle he just stayed on the bench behind Cruz. They never tried to incorporate the things that made him successful in college which is mind blowing considering thats why they drafted him. I think this is the type of offense Reese has wanted all along and now he has finally got the opportunity to fit players to his vision
    I think that observation of Reese is a good 1 when you look at his offensive picks, they scream "west coast offense"

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    You're right, you don't handicap an "offensive weapon" because he's not rocking it on special teams. You hesitate to put him on the field when he fails to be an offensive weapon--as he did for nearly 3 seasons--AND is not rocking it on special teams. When drafted, Reese and/or Coughlin stated that while it may take some time for Jernigan to settle in to become an impact receiver, that they at least expected him to be an immediate impact returner. They expected this because it takes little time to be an effective returner if one is very good, but it can take even very good WRs a while to get all the routes right, to get separation on a timely basis, etc.

Well, despite Jernigan's SB return(s) at end of his rookie year, he never had any kind of return game--unlike, say, Wilson, who DID succeed almost immediately in the return game throughout his rookie year.

All this fantasy about Coughlin and Gilbride deliberately, or incompetently, sabotaging Giants offense specifically by withholding Jernigan from the field FOR NO REASON--because after all that is what you and your cohorts are saying with your thinking on this subject-- is plain nuts.

And of course there is the other part of this equation that no one seems to consider. That it may well have taken this long for Eli to trust Jernigan enough to throw the ball his way in various situations. Every QB has one or two receivers he trusts in ALL situations more than he does other receivers. It's easy to sit at your computer and say in hindsight "see, I told you......!" after the fact, but nobody knows what is REALLY going on between QB-coach-receiver in practice or in an actual game. That's a ten-four to you, buddy.
    You've been stretching the parameters for Jernigan since after his rookie year [which was still asinine then]. Quite frankly, it's not even entertaining anymore, but rather nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    You've been stretching the parameters for Jernigan since after his rookie year [which was still asinine then]. Quite frankly, it's not even entertaining anymore, but rather nauseating.
    some people are just close minded haters and even when proven wrong will refuse to admit it
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I was a big fan of the Jernigan pick and I thought his all purpose skills would bring a new wrinkle to the offense.The thing is we never got to see the new wrinkle he just stayed on the bench behind Cruz. They never tried to incorporate the things that made him successful in college which is mind blowing considering thats why they drafted him. I think this is the type of offense Reese has wanted all along and now he has finally got the opportunity to fit players to his vision
    I agree !!!!! Good points !!!!!!
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Jerrigan has been on the field quite a bit the last 2 years

He did not emerge as a force until he was featured. Really based upon his oerformance ot that point he showed little to nothing

This one i cannot blame on gilbride and coughlin.......sometimes a player just matures

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post

Or maybe TC just missed the boat on JJ- no conspiracy.

Look with special speed like he has he should have been on the field. Ted Gin is very mediocre as a receiver, but the one thing he has is blazing speed. San Fran would still give him plays like end arounds or reverses once or twice a game, even when he clearly was not their best receiving option.

I think his lack of production on special teams effected how they saw him as a receiver, and the few snaps he did get at receiver he didn't do anything with.

JJ is still unproven. He had 2 good games. He has a an entire offseason to smooth out all the rough edges in his game. He should be especially excited, as he doesn't know how large his role can be in a new offense.

We will find out next year if he is for real.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Ted Gin is very mediocre as a receiver, but the one thing he has is blazing speed. San Fran would still give him plays like end arounds or reverses once or twice a game, even when he clearly was not their best receiving option.
    As evidenced by his 11 rushing attempts in 3 years as a 49er.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    As evidenced by his 11 rushing attempts in 3 years as a 49er.
    I do not believe his point was production....his point was you give him a chance to see what he can do....JJ was never given that chance till the end of this season...NO NOT special teams...on offence
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    I do not believe his point was production....his point was you give him a chance to see what he can do....JJ was never given that chance till the end of this season...NO NOT special teams...on offence
    The 11 carries aren't the production, they signify the chances that Ginn got to run those end-arounds and reverses.

Instead of "1-2 a game," which would equate to 60+ attempts, he only received a fraction of that with 11 attempts. Perhaps Ginn wasn't the best example.

As for Jernigan, I do agree that TC and co. might have just missed the boat entirely with him whilst trying to mold him into something he's not best suited for.

+ Reply to Thread