+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    As evidenced by his 11 rushing attempts in 3 years as a 49er.
    Not nearly as many rushes as I thought, still 11 rushing attempts is way more than the 1 JJ had before Cruz got hurt.

The key word in my statement is "plays like". I only named the a couple of ways they got him the ball. WR screens, quick throws to the flat, and go routes were also ways they tried to involve him in the offense. All these things can be done relying on his speed and natural ability to make plays and not much else.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    The 11 carries aren't the production, they signify the chances that Ginn got to run those end-arounds and reverses.

Instead of "1-2 a game," which would equate to 60+ attempts, he only received a fraction of that with 11 attempts. Perhaps Ginn wasn't the best example.

As for Jernigan, I do agree that TC and co. might have just missed the boat entirely with him whilst trying to mold him into something he's not best suited for.
    My main point, which is unchanged, is teams usually find a way to get rare speed on the field more often then JJ saw the field in his first 3 years, especially given his background of being used like Harvin in college.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    Jerrigan has been on the field quite a bit the last 2 years

He did not emerge as a force until he was featured. Really based upon his oerformance ot that point he showed little to nothing

This one i cannot blame on gilbride and coughlin.......sometimes a player just matures
    The Giants offense under Gilbride never featured more than 1 inside receiver.They struggled to have 2 guys work the middle of the field Everything ran off Nicks or whoever the X receiver was. Just from watching the Packers and Oregon State offenses this is going to be completely different.Last year Oregon State ran an offense that featured 2 receivers very similar to the skill sets the Giants have with Cruz and Jernigan with Markus Wheaton and Brandin Cooks. Both receivers worked the middle of the field exploiting mismatches in zone coverage. You guys dont have to agree with me but my opinion is that Gilbride struggled ingetting 2 receivers like Jernigan and Cruz going at the same time hence it took Cruz getting off the field for Jernigan to excel

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    The Giants offense under Gilbride never featured more than 1 inside receiver.They struggled to have 2 guys work the middle of the field Everything ran off Nicks or whoever the X receiver was. Just from watching the Packers and Oregon State offenses this is going to be completely different.Last year Oregon State ran an offense that featured 2 receivers very similar to the skill sets the Giants have with Cruz and Jernigan with Markus Wheaton and Brandin Cooks. Both receivers worked the middle of the field exploiting mismatches in zone coverage. You guys dont have to agree with me but my opinion is that Gilbride struggled ingetting 2 receivers like Jernigan and Cruz going at the same time hence it took Cruz getting off the field for Jernigan to excel
    Seems like that was the case.

I agree this was the case. Yet, difficult to understand the lack of implementation. I believe there is a team in Foxboro that have been successful with the schemes you mention in your post in the past and there's alot of tape to review here. Welker / Amendola ; Amendola, Edelmen......inside slot combos. We can do the same with Cruz and JJ all day long in addition to Randle and ??? ( whomever is added ) on the outside stretching the field..... all day long
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Seems like Gilbride and Reese weren't often on the same page with respect to personnel.

I remember in a critical game in 2012 (Redskins game #2 ?).....Wilson had totally torched the Saints, and Gilbride sticks him on the bench in the 2nd half and features Kregg Lumpkin.

I get that pass protection is important, but for **** sakes, give the kid the ball and let him fly.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Seems like Gilbride and Reese weren't often on the same page with respect to personnel.

I remember in a critical game in 2012 (Redskins game #2 ?).....Wilson had totally torched the Saints, and Gilbride sticks him on the bench in the 2nd half and features Kregg Lumpkin.

I get that pass protection is important, but for **** sakes, give the kid the ball and let him fly.
    I remember this. I think I almost threw up or went into cardiac arrest....maybe both......
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Or maybe TC just missed the boat on JJ- no conspiracy.

Look with special speed like he has he should have been on the field. Ted Gin is very mediocre as a receiver, but the one thing he has is blazing speed. San Fran would still give him plays like end arounds or reverses once or twice a game, even when he clearly was not their best receiving option.

I think his lack of production on special teams effected how they saw him as a receiver, and the few snaps he did get at receiver he didn't do anything with.

JJ is still unproven. He had 2 good games. He has a an entire offseason to smooth out all the rough edges in his game. He should be especially excited, as he doesn't know how large his role can be in a new offense.

We will find out next year if he is for real.
    Finally, a clear headed comment about Jernigan's past and present situation. Although it is arguable if Coughlin missed the boat re Jernigan, as you state, or if--as Coughlin states--Jernigan finally matured into the player hoped for when drafted, by late 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    some people are just close minded haters and even when proven wrong will refuse to admit it
    Where have I been proven wrong about Jernigan? Before Dec 2013 when, in fact, he had done virtually nothing of note? Or after his last 3 games of 2013, when I acknowledged his 3-game success? Is THAT a sign of close-mindedness, or is refusing to recognize the difference between actual performance of a player vs hoped-for unrealized performance (ie, pre-Dec 2013 Jernigan) a sign of being close minded?

Shouldn't need to say this, but apparently I do--the fact that a poster does not agree with YOUR opinion about a specific player does not by definition mean that poster is a "close minded hater" of said player. I admit to stating my own strong opinions about Jernigan in the past-- in those threads where certain posters seemed intent on canonizing him with absolutely zero substantiation at that time. Remaining unconvinced by a poster's unsubstantiated claims about anything does not make one a "close minded hater". It simply means he's unconvinced.

I agree with you....Gilbride struggled alot, actually. Among other things, he didn't use Jacobs as effectively as he could have, nor did he feature Wilson properly while he was healthy.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell