+ Reply to Thread

NFL Notes: Dallas Tries Another Play-Caller

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/24...ay-caller.html

Excerpt: "The Dallas Cowboys will have their third offensive play-caller in as many years with Scott Linehan joining the coaching staff as passing game coordinator, a source told ESPN.

The former Lions offensive coordinator took part in Monday's team meetings, sources said, but the team has not made an official announcement.

It is not known what this means for offensive coordinator Bill Callahan, but a source told ESPNDallas.com that Callahan would be opposed to the move. He has been offensive coordinator/offensive line coach the last two seasons." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

As long as Jerry Jones remains owner/GM/dictator and only wants to have coaches that will bow and scrape to him the Cowboys will continue to remain average, which is great for Giants' fans. Hopefully, JJ will never change.
    One of these teams is not like the others

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap88 View Post
    As long as Jerry Jones remains owner/GM/dictator and only wants to have coaches that will bow and scrape to him the Cowboys will continue to remain average, which is great for Giants' fans. Hopefully, JJ will never change.
    We have no idea what's going on at Valley Ranch.

It's a mess though.

Last year, Garrett was stripped of playcalling duties and that was given to Callahan, although still using Garrett's playbook.

Well that didn't work out as well as they wanted, and now they've brought in Linehan.

Supposedly, Callahan is still the offensive coordinator, Linehan is the passing game coordinator and play-caller, and I think they're still going to use Garrett's playbook... and Garrett probably has final say on play calls or something stupid like that. Oh and Romo can still be more judicious with the play calls as well because of the new contract.

So somebody (if not, EVERYBODY) is useless in this convoluted chain.

All-Pro
    Nte he is just the passing play caller right? And Callahan is the overall offensive coordinator? Or am I missing something. And If that is the truth then there may be a serious problem in Dallas, not like I mind lol

Quote Originally Posted by n420p69 View Post
    Nte he is just the passing play caller right? And Callahan is the overall offensive coordinator? Or am I missing something. And If that is the truth then there may be a serious problem in Dallas, not like I mind lol
    Not sure what it means honestly. From what I understand, Linehan is calling all offensive plays, maybe even drawing up some new passing plays for the Cowboys to utilize and incorporate into the playbook, which is actually Garrett's playbook and not Callahan.

Not sure where Callahan fits in, but somehow he's still the OC?

It's a mess, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    We have no idea what's going on at Valley Ranch.

It's a mess though.

Last year, Garrett was stripped of playcalling duties and that was given to Callahan, although still using Garrett's playbook.

Well that didn't work out as well as they wanted, and now they've brought in Linehan.

Supposedly, Callahan is still the offensive coordinator, Linehan is the passing game coordinator and play-caller, and I think they're still going to use Garrett's playbook... and Garrett probably has final say on play calls or something stupid like that. Oh and Romo can still be more judicious with the play calls as well because of the new contract.

So somebody (if not, EVERYBODY) is useless in this convoluted chain.
    Like you said, it's a mess at Valley Ranch. And it's going to continue to be a mess as long as Jones wants to micromanage every aspect of that team and have people around him that will stroke his ego.

As much as I hate the Cowboys, I have no doubt that Parcells would have gotten them to a Super Bowl if Jones had just left him alone. Not saying they would've won a Super Bowl, but they most likely would've gotten there.

Not sure what it means honestly. From what I understand, Linehan is calling all offensive plays, maybe even drawing up some new passing plays for the Cowboys to utilize and incorporate into the playbook, which is actually Garrett's playbook and not Callahan.

Not sure where Callahan fits in, but somehow he's still the OC?

It's a mess, to say the least.
    So not much has changed then, lol.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    So not much has changed then, lol.
    Please... we're way worse off now.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap88 View Post
    Like you said, it's a mess at Valley Ranch. And it's going to continue to be a mess as long as Jones wants to micromanage every aspect of that team and have people around him that will stroke his ego.

As much as I hate the Cowboys, I have no doubt that Parcells would have gotten them to a Super Bowl if Jones had just left him alone. Not saying they would've won a Super Bowl, but they most likely would've gotten there.
    The micromanaging is what is killing the team.

And then of course the GM and Owner are the same person.

You can't be an owner who is concerned with selling tickets and generating revenue and be the GM at the same time. There are conflicting interests there.
    Not to mention, they're both two full time jobs, each with a heavier work load than most normal careers.

It just doesn't make sense for Jones to want to be so different.

I mean, all the successful franchises succeed in the same way based on the same model.
    All the unsuccessful franchise fail in many different ways.

Knowing that, why would you even try to be different?

The micromanaging is what is killing the team.

And then of course the GM and Owner are the same person.

You can't be an owner who is concerned with selling tickets and generating revenue and be the GM at the same time. There are conflicting interests there.
    Not to mention, they're both two full time jobs, each with a heavier work load than most normal careers.

It just doesn't make sense for Jones to want to be so different.

I mean, all the successful franchises succeed in the same way based on the same model.
    All the unsuccessful franchise fail in many different ways.

Knowing that, why would you even try to be different?
    Jerry's the perfect example of the Type A/Alpha male. He wants to control everybody and everything. Notice how he always has to make himself the 'face of the franchise'? Most owners want the coach or QB to be the face of the franchise. Not Jerry. He always wants you to know that he's the owner and it's his team.

Jerry's like a little kid running around screaming "Mine! Mine! Mine!" Until that changes the Cowboys are going to stay mired in mediocrity with Jerry pointing the finger at everybody else, but himself.