+ Reply to Thread

Why Doesn't MetLife Stadium Have A Roof? "They" Have An Anserr

http://www.northjersey.com/news/2431....html?page=all

Excerpt: "The question has been asked around North Jersey for years, and no doubt visitors from Denver and Seattle today will ask the same thing: "If they wanted to have a Super Bowl so badly, why didn't they put a retractable roof on MetLife Stadium?"

The answer ultimately comes down to who "they" are.

Had leaders of the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority at the time had their way, the 4-year-old stadium at the Meadowlands Sports Complex would be capped against inclement weather, a feature that would have turned it into all-year venue.

But owners of the Giants and Jets, the two NFL franchises that built and paid for the new $1.6 billion stadium, would have none of it.

First, they said, they saw an added advantage for their teams in playing late-season games outdoors against opponents less accustomed to harsh weather.

And then, of course, there was the added expense.

"We looked at it at a point in time, but it was so cost-prohibitive that it just wasn't worth it," Giants co-owner John Mara said after a Manhattan news conference on Monday. "For the limited number of additional events you might get, it's not worth it." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

As much as I like the football in the elements thing, I think it was a dumb decision to not include a retractable roof...key word retractable. No reason you couldn't leave it open when it was to teams advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by keyofgmen View Post
    As much as I like the football in the elements thing, I think it was a dumb decision to not include a retractable roof...key word retractable. No reason you couldn't leave it open when it was to teams advantage.
    Wouldn't that be unethical?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Wouldn't that be unethical?
    I don't know about that. Both teams play the games under the same conditions and nobody gets an unfair advantage. But then what's the point of having a roof if you're going to leave it open when the weather is bad? Or when the weather is good? Just so you can host a Super Bowl every 10-15 years? That would have been a waste of money.

There's no place for indoor football in the NFC East. (Or the AFC East, for that matter but who cares.)