+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Get skill position player @ 12th pick, why?

because the OL issues are not with the OT's. Which, generally are required to be taken in the 1rst if you want that blue chip type guy.

We got Snee in the 2nd. And, its bc the interior OL rarely go in the 1rst. Last yr we saw 2 go in te 1rst, and neither came close to living up to the billing imho.

If the FO believes the interior of the OL is the issue and not the OT's, I'd love to see us take a Evans or Sammy Watkins. Imo, Evans cannot be covered 1 v 1. Esp with a guy like Eli who will throw to the 1v1 coverage all day. Thing is, itd make more sense if we were still running KGs scheme. If we really are combining the schemes, than it makes perfect sense bc we need tat #1 who dictates coverages. Nicks couldnt do that the last 2 yrs. A guy like Evans, with how he plays so physical and has a lot of athleticism, will be a nightmare for DB's and DC's...Imo, Eli would ascend to higher levels than even 2011 if we give him a freak WR. Evans strikes me as that kind of player.

Take him in the 1rst. Then, 2nd, you can take an interior OL (like with Snee). Evans is also intriguiing bc he is excellent in shorter/intermediate stuff as well as downfield. i was against picking Evans unless we traded back but i've altered that stance. im fine with him at 12 but only if the FO ensures we get a quality interior OL in rd 2 and even rd 3...

and, maybe, we could save money if we take evans, compared to re-signing Nicks. And thus, use the money we might have used on Nicks to sign 2 quality FA interior OL. very interesting to see who we might take bc we can literally go a bunch of diff ways....but id like to give Eli a guy like Evans bc imo, e would be at his best if we combined the 2011 Eli with the Eli2Plex version...

Evans in the 1st and a Xavier Su'a-Filo in the 2nd.. That's what I'm talking about..

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    Evans in the 1st and a Xavier Su'a-Filo in the 2nd.. That's what I'm talking about..
    if we ever got Evans in first I think I would **** myself!!
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Knowing the giants though he could be there at 12 and were all blowing up the boards after 11 goes and he doesn't get picked. Then our time on the clock ends.. The Pick is in. We all wait to explode. And they draft someone we never heard of.. And we all got ""What?"" ""who??"""

How many times has this happened! To many to count
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    because the OL issues are not with the OT's. Which, generally are required to be taken in the 1rst if you want that blue chip type guy.

We got Snee in the 2nd. And, its bc the interior OL rarely go in the 1rst. Last yr we saw 2 go in te 1rst, and neither came close to living up to the billing imho.

If the FO believes the interior of the OL is the issue and not the OT's, I'd love to see us take a Evans or Sammy Watkins. Imo, Evans cannot be covered 1 v 1. Esp with a guy like Eli who will throw to the 1v1 coverage all day. Thing is, itd make more sense if we were still running KGs scheme. If we really are combining the schemes, than it makes perfect sense bc we need tat #1 who dictates coverages. Nicks couldnt do that the last 2 yrs. A guy like Evans, with how he plays so physical and has a lot of athleticism, will be a nightmare for DB's and DC's...Imo, Eli would ascend to higher levels than even 2011 if we give him a freak WR. Evans strikes me as that kind of player.

Take him in the 1rst. Then, 2nd, you can take an interior OL (like with Snee). Evans is also intriguiing bc he is excellent in shorter/intermediate stuff as well as downfield. i was against picking Evans unless we traded back but i've altered that stance. im fine with him at 12 but only if the FO ensures we get a quality interior OL in rd 2 and even rd 3...

and, maybe, we could save money if we take evans, compared to re-signing Nicks. And thus, use the money we might have used on Nicks to sign 2 quality FA interior OL. very interesting to see who we might take bc we can literally go a bunch of diff ways....but id like to give Eli a guy like Evans bc imo, e would be at his best if we combined the 2011 Eli with the Eli2Plex version...
    I agree that we must select an impact player with our first round pick. Evans would be a great pick at 12. He would allow our WR position to be a position of depth and strength for the future. With him being tall and difficult to cover 1on1, he would enable Cruz, Randle, and Jernigan to be successful.

This is not a cure all. Keep in mind it is just one quality pick. We should and will probably address our interior OL via both FA and the draft in round 2 or 3. We need two interior OL, one via FA and one via the draft. I think we should consider one of two options for our OL: Option one is moving our LG to play Center and get two new OG, one via FA and one via draft or option two get a Center and Guard, one in FA and the other in the draft. With a new offensive scheme, and young road grader type Guards, Eli should have adequate time to throw the ball.

However, if we have the opportunity, I prefer trading down to get an extra pick and select a very good WR later.

I think Evans and Watkins will be long gone. I also think you'll continue to see Marqise Lee rise again.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    I think Evans and Watkins will be long gone. I also think you'll continue to see Marqise Lee rise again.
    Watkins will be gone.. No doudt

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    Watkins will be gone.. No doudt
    Another intriguing option is to draft one of the top TEs in the first round. We can get a good WR in round 2.

This is all predicated on our acquiring OL help via FA.

I really don't see a glaring need for using #12 on a receiver.

I believe the Giants will let Nicks walk and I think they will be fine with the remaining trio of Randle/Jernigan/Cruz.

I can also see them adding a solid veteran receiver (ex. Jones from GB) for a fraction of the cost Nicks will go for.

On top of that I believe our offensive philosophy will be more diverse and incorporate the TE/RBs more than our offense traditionally had under Gilbride.

Personally --- I want to go heavy on the D in rounds 1 and 2.

The 3 best teams in our conference are Seattle, SF and Carolina --- all dominant defenses. I think we need to build a dominant defense to stand a chance against those teams. Would use free agency to bolster interior line and add a veteran RB.

In rounds 3 & 4 --- maybe go TE and RB. Rounds 5 & 7 take a shot on additional line help.

Quote Originally Posted by paulj View Post
    Another intriguing option is to draft one of the top TEs in the first round. We can get a good WR in round 2.

This is all predicated on our acquiring OL help via FA.
    there are so many good TEs in the draft this year.. Reese better not miss the boat.. It's time to get a long term TE