+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The problem is when we pick in the 2nd the top Gs and Cs most likely won't be there.

Offensive line is the reason the Giants watched the playoffs this year. It is the biggest need. They were old and falling apart. A young stud OL helps tremendously. Pugh is on his way. He needs more help.

5trive for Fiv5

I am not sure there is a Guard prospect I like at the 12th, but I dislike it when people assume guards aren't worth high picks even more.

The fact is in today's NFL guards are just as important as tackles mostly because the guys being used at DT are much better athletes than used to be the case.

People like to make the argument "we got Snee in the 2nd." and that is true but I think it is an irrelevant. By that argument, nobody should ever spend higher than a 6th on a QB because you can get Tom Brady there. The more relevant question is "looking back, what WOULD you have spent on a Chris Snee." The answer is CLEARLY a 1st rounder. If the Giants thought they could get a Chris Snee at the 12 overall pick, they would select the guy and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    The problem is when we pick in the 2nd the top Gs and Cs most likely won't be there.

Offensive line is the reason the Giants watched the playoffs this year. It is the biggest need. They were old and falling apart. A young stud OL helps tremendously. Pugh is on his way. He needs more help.
    I think the 2nd round is gonna be the perfect spot for landing a guard, lots of options.. Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    if we ever got Evans in first I think I would **** myself!!
    Is that good? Or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue123 View Post
    I really don't see a glaring need for using #12 on a receiver.

I believe the Giants will let Nicks walk and I think they will be fine with the remaining trio of Randle/Jernigan/Cruz.

I can also see them adding a solid veteran receiver (ex. Jones from GB) for a fraction of the cost Nicks will go for.

On top of that I believe our offensive philosophy will be more diverse and incorporate the TE/RBs more than our offense traditionally had under Gilbride.

Personally --- I want to go heavy on the D in rounds 1 and 2.

The 3 best teams in our conference are Seattle, SF and Carolina --- all dominant defenses. I think we need to build a dominant defense to stand a chance against those teams. Would use free agency to bolster interior line and add a veteran RB.

In rounds 3 & 4 --- maybe go TE and RB. Rounds 5 & 7 take a shot on additional line help.
    you def have a fair opinion. id just be hesitant in going that route, bc as u said, those 3 teams have tremendous defenses. focusing on our D, and even lets say we get our D on those 3 teams levels, that is in no way a guarantee we beat them. i could make the case that seattle, sf, and carolina all have offenses that are ahead of ours in its totality. if we're going to beat those 3 heavyweights, we're going to need an offense that can dictate to them the coverages and approach they take when facing us. a guy like evans does that imo of course.

really, as long as the picks are quality players, im fine with whatever. i just believe evans is going to be a quality player. and i didnt always think that. up til last week, i was hesitant on him and thought he could end up being a Fauria (Detroit Lions) type RZ target and possibly not much else. but i looked into is game and i was wrong. he actually does have that complete package u want in a WR...guy also bailed out Manziel a hundred times bc of his length, physicality, and athleticism. id be ecstatic if we got eli a toy like him.

if it came down to ebron or evans, give me evans 10 out of 10 times. imo.

if we ever got Evans in first I think I would **** myself!!
    Agree

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I am not sure there is a Guard prospect I like at the 12th, but I dislike it when people assume guards aren't worth high picks even more.

The fact is in today's NFL guards are just as important as tackles mostly because the guys being used at DT are much better athletes than used to be the case.

People like to make the argument "we got Snee in the 2nd." and that is true but I think it is an irrelevant. By that argument, nobody should ever spend higher than a 6th on a QB because you can get Tom Brady there. The more relevant question is "looking back, what WOULD you have spent on a Chris Snee." The answer is CLEARLY a 1st rounder. If the Giants thought they could get a Chris Snee at the 12 overall pick, they would select the guy and never look back.
    I've always had two arguments against not taking highly valued positions early. (I define value by how much teams pay the position).

1. I've always maintained that the difference in impact of a "great" guard and a good guard is much smaller than that of positions like qb pass rusher cb wr etc.(think of it in terms of the baseball statistic WAR) Therefore, as long as you have a good or decent player then you should be fine.

2. You only have so many early round draft picks. Fiscally speaking, you want good players on cheap deals at the more expensive positions (cb wr pass rusher). Drafting these positions early gives you the best chance of achieving this. Generally speaking, whenever your turn comes up to pick, there's going to be a player at one of the premium positions that is graded high enough to give you more bang for buck than a lesser value position. That then affords you the ability to spend your remaining cap on high end FAs at the lesser costing positions and still likely have very good players at the high value positions.

nice points ingrate.

it just goes to show how much more detail is involved in making the selection than we generally assume. there's a lot to factor into it.

i personally agree that GM's align themselves with what you're getting at; the premium positions are of more value in earlier rounds especially now with the rookie payscales...it just doesnt really, imo, add up to take a G at 12 (unless ur talking all time great) or unless you're talking about a team that is locked and loaded, and only has a hole or 2 at positions of lesser value.

neither is the situation we face, so, id rather go skill position.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post

You're right I never thought about that. We have the 12th pick in the second round. I like Evans, but O-line needs to be addressed, and not with a project but some elite talent.

I think our best move is to trade down and pick up a top 5 2nd round pick to ensure we get one of the best C, G prospects. If we do trade down I'm thinking we double down on the O-line in the 1st and 2nd round.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

Veteran
    Knowing the giants though he could be there at 12 and were all blowing up the boards after 11 goes and he doesn't get picked. Then our time on the clock ends.. The Pick is in. We all wait to explode. And they draft someone we never heard of.. And we all got ""What?"" ""who??"""

How many times has this happened! To many to count
    Hahaha! That's happened plenty of times.