+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Let's hope we fix the o-line during FA and when the draft comes around hopefully we won't need to fill more then one spot.along the line. I'm hoping for Gilbert/Dennard. I want to build our D bc that's what wins championships. Prince with either of them on the other side and a healty JPP is a really good start!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    The problem is when we pick in the 2nd the top Gs and Cs most likely won't be there.

Offensive line is the reason the Giants watched the playoffs this year. It is the biggest need. They were old and falling apart. A young stud OL helps tremendously. Pugh is on his way. He needs more help.
    I agree !!!!! +1
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

so many ppl want a offensive guy here..i want a pass rusher..the giants have to get better at getting off the field on 3rd down. Evans at 6'5 is a huge target for Eli's high passes..whats his vertical haha. still hoping they draft kony ealy.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    I've always had two arguments against not taking highly valued positions early. (I define value by how much teams pay the position).

1. I've always maintained that the difference in impact of a "great" guard and a good guard is much smaller than that of positions like qb pass rusher cb wr etc.(think of it in terms of the baseball statistic WAR) Therefore, as long as you have a good or decent player then you should be fine.

2. You only have so many early round draft picks. Fiscally speaking, you want good players on cheap deals at the more expensive positions (cb wr pass rusher). Drafting these positions early gives you the best chance of achieving this. Generally speaking, whenever your turn comes up to pick, there's going to be a player at one of the premium positions that is graded high enough to give you more bang for buck than a lesser value position. That then affords you the ability to spend your remaining cap on high end FAs at the lesser costing positions and still likely have very good players at the high value positions.
    Good Post !
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ThatNiCcA56 View Post
    Hahaha! That's happened plenty of times.
    To many to count. Then you see the guy they passed over we all thought they should take excel and the one we grabbed never amounts to anything. I can't remember examples but we passed on some Pretty good players. Sometimes we had a need at that position and passed which always peeves you. But other times there are guys there that look to be sure things and. We used to be known to draft BPA no matter if you need a player at that position or not. I guess we only draft BPA on based off what our needs our cause we passed right over Eddie Lacy and look what he's doing for GB.. Just one example
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Defense wins championships..

I've always had two arguments against not taking highly valued positions early. (I define value by how much teams pay the position).

1. I've always maintained that the difference in impact of a "great" guard and a good guard is much smaller than that of positions like qb pass rusher cb wr etc.(think of it in terms of the baseball statistic WAR) Therefore, as long as you have a good or decent player then you should be fine.

2. You only have so many early round draft picks. Fiscally speaking, you want good players on cheap deals at the more expensive positions (cb wr pass rusher). Drafting these positions early gives you the best chance of achieving this. Generally speaking, whenever your turn comes up to pick, there's going to be a player at one of the premium positions that is graded high enough to give you more bang for buck than a lesser value position. That then affords you the ability to spend your remaining cap on high end FAs at the lesser costing positions and still likely have very good players at the high value positions.
    I mostly agree but th problem lately is that Quality College Olineman are getting scarcer and scarcer and reaching for them seems to be the only way to secure them

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I mostly agree but th problem lately is that Quality College Olineman are getting scarcer and scarcer and reaching for them seems to be the only way to secure them
    Free agency.

Free agency.
    Yes but then u pay 6 million a year for David Baas who started 1 season or 8 million a year for a 25 year old Jon Asamoh

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I wonder if the real issue could be that the defensive linemen (and pass-rushing LBs) coming out of college these days are just more athletic and explosive on average than they were 10-15+ years ago. It probably doesn't help that only one of the 5 OL positions gets any glamour and serious money in terms of a second contract as well. There really isn't much incentive for me to play interior OL or RT if I'm an athletic guy when I can probably make more money at a premier position.