+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,442

    Payton: Keeping Jimmy Graham Will Require "Tough Decisions"

    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  2. #2
    I wonder if Marques Colston could be a casualty here? They could try and force Nick Toon into his role.

    Will Smith is gone, Harper is gone, either Pierre Thomas or Mark Ingram will likely be gone. Lance Moore could be another one.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 02-08-2014 at 09:02 PM.

  3. #3
    "The Saints will want to have the ability to tag him for a $6.8 million tender offer, which is the tight end amount, while Graham will want to be tendered at $11.6 million, the wide receiver amount."

    Since when did players have any voice or power against the franchise tag, which was made specifically to give the team complete leverage over one player in terms of negotiation rights? It should not matter what Graham wants at all.

    If the Saints want to tag him as a TE, which is his designated position and the no-brainer choice, then that should be final no matter what Graham wants, argue, or cry about.

    It wouldn't make sense. If TEs can just pick the more $$$ WR franchise tag, then there would no point of TE franchise tags in the current market.

    Next thing you know, Brandon Myers would be wanting a WR tag in the future since he's only useful for catching passes. lol
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 02-08-2014 at 09:15 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I wonder if Marques Colston could be a casualty here? They could try and force Nick Toon into his role.

    Will Smith is gone, Harper is gone, either Pierre Thomas or Mark Ingram will likely be gone. Lance Moore could be another one.
    I would like Ingram.. Not a lot of wear and tear.. He needs a fresh start

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Since when did players have any voice or power against the franchise tag, which was made specifically to give the team complete leverage over one player in terms of negotiation rights? It should not matter what Graham wants at all.

    If the Saints want to tag him as a TE, which is his designated position, then that should be final no matter what Graham wants, argue, or cry about.

    It wouldn't make sense. If TEs can just pick the more $$$ WR franchise tag, then there would no point of TE franchise tags in the current market.

    Next thing you know, Brandon Myers would be wanting a WR tag in the future since he's only useful for catching passes. lol
    Well, how do you differentiate Graham from a receiver? He lines up like one, he runs like one, and he produces like one. Why shouldn't he get paid like one?

    Myers wouldn't try it because he isn't capable of cracking 1000 yards and double digit scores per year.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 02-08-2014 at 09:18 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Well, how do you differentiate Graham from a receiver? He lines up like one, he runs like one, and he produces like one.

    Myers wouldn't try it because he isn't capable of cracking 1000 yards and double digit scores per year.
    Myers was a bad example even though that was the best the Giants could offer at TE in 2013. A lot of top pass catching TEs in the league do what Jimmy does. Gronk still holds the single season TE receiving yards record over him. Would they be WRs then? I think the Saints have the final say. Too bad for Jimmy Graham.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 02-09-2014 at 09:15 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Myers was a bad example even that that was the best the Giants could offer at TE in 2013. A lot of top pass catching TEs in the league do what Jimmy does. Would they be WRs then? I think the Saints have the final say. Too bad for Jimmy Graham.
    Well, Jared Cook tried to swing this last year... only problem is that he kind of sucks and the Titans wound up shipping him out.

    I just find it interesting because Graham outperforms many receivers, yet he can't earn as much money as them. 1200 yards and 16 touchdowns would be deemed an elite season for any wide receiver.

    14th in receiving yards
    1st in touchdowns

    According to PFF, Graham lined up at TE on only 33% of his snaps last season. A miniscule amount, but I suppose the simple fact that he lines up as one at all is what defines him.


    Yes, it's most certainly the Saints' call. Graham can campaign, but he has no say over what his team decides to do. The only thing he could do is refuse the contract and hold out.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 02-08-2014 at 09:47 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Well, Jared Cook tried to swing this last year... only problem is that he kind of sucks and the Titans wound up shipping him out.

    I just find it interesting because Graham outperforms many receivers, yet he can't earn as much money as them. 1200 yards and 16 touchdowns would be deemed an elite season for any wide receiver.

    14th in receiving yards
    1st in touchdowns

    According to PFF, Graham lined up at TE on only 33% of his snaps last season. A miniscule amount, but I suppose that the simple fact that he lines up as one at all is what defines him. Quite strange, really.
    Not to provide another bad example, but if Antrel Rolle plays nickel corner for a 66% of the snaps very well due to a depleted CB depth and 33% at safety, should he be entitled to the CB franchise tag of around $10 mil as suppose to the safety tag around $7 mil?

    It's just a can of worms waiting to open if players are allowed to cross positions just for the higher franchise tag.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 02-08-2014 at 10:13 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Not to provide another bad example, but if Antrel Rolle plays nickel corner for a 66% of the snaps very well due to a depleted CB depth and 33% at safety, should he be entitled to the CB franchise tag of around $10 mil as suppose to the safety tag around $7 mil?

    It's just a can of worms waiting to open if players are allowed to cross positions just for the higher franchise tag.
    I think that's a good point, actually. It could certainly be a valid argument for a player to make.

    While I do agree that players shouldn't be attempting to force their way into a new pay grade, I think the system can be unfair in certain cases.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 02-09-2014 at 01:12 AM.

  10. #10
    All-Pro gmen0820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Audubon, New Jersey
    Posts
    17,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I wonder if Marques Colston could be a casualty here? They could try and force Nick Toon into his role.

    Will Smith is gone, Harper is gone, either Pierre Thomas or Mark Ingram will likely be gone. Lance Moore could be another one.
    Toon is a major sleeper. I love his size.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts