+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Airplanes

Airplanes

I wish the Giant and Jets would put their foots down with the FAA on airplanes flying in and out of Teterboro, directly over the stadium. It is VERY dangerous and not necessary. I realize the pilots think it's cool to give their passengers a look at 80,000 people from a few thousand feet overhead. As a fan it is unnerving to me. I guarantee that there were no flights over during the Super Bowl. Why then are the regular season fans exposed to this unnecessary peril?
    No one remembers who came in second.

how is it dangerous?

Is there snakes on this plane?

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue2088 View Post
    how is it dangerous?
    If you don't understand the danger, I am not sure I can explain it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    If you don't understand the danger, I am not sure I can explain it to you.
    Do you know the statistics and chances of plane crashes? They also fly over Citi Field all the time without issues. They aren't going to change flight routes for something that is most likely not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue2088 View Post
    Do you know the statistics and chances of plane crashes? They also fly over Citi Field all the time without issues. They aren't going to change flight routes for something that is most likely not going to happen.
    yeah i'm not really sure where this is going. planes fly over highly populated areas all the time

I guarantee that there were no flights over during the Super Bowl. Why then are the regular season fans exposed to this unnecessary peril?
    What about the half dozen military aircraft they fly over the stadium after the anthem? There's got to be far more chance of something going wrong there than with a passenger plane cruising several thousand meters above.

Or is this about terrorism?

Regardless, I think the only thing unnecessary here is the need for worry.

I wish the Giant and Jets would put their foots down with the FAA on airplanes flying in and out of Teterboro, directly over the stadium. It is VERY dangerous and not necessary. I realize the pilots think it's cool to give their passengers a look at 80,000 people from a few thousand feet overhead. As a fan it is unnerving to me. I guarantee that there were no flights over during the Super Bowl. Why then are the regular season fans exposed to this unnecessary peril?

As a fan you fail to understand statistics and aviation.

1. Depending on the winds the path directly over Metlife is part of the landing pattern and/or take off direction for one of the two runways. You can't shutdown half of an airport for 120 hours a year (10 games per team 6 hours per game). Especially based on zero supporting data.

2. At that point in the flight the pilots have zero control of their approach, speed or altitude. The tower is entirely in control. Your assumption of showboating is pure speculation and insulting to pilots.

3. You can check the FAA site, there were more than a dozen take offs and landings during the game.

4. Look at a map for 5 seconds and realize the if a plane were to crash the odds of it hitting the stadium are awfully low. You can't just shut down air traffic in highly populated areas

5. Gathering 80k people in 1 place and serving booze is far more dangerous. Life is a death sentence, we just play the odds for as long as possible.

6. The FAA doesn't give a crap what The Giants and Jets think. The airport was built in 1919 and predates any kind of football activity. If the Giants and Jets were uncomfortable with the airport traffic they could have built their first or second stadium elsewhere.

So in essence. It isn't dangerous, it is necessary ,the pilots have no say in when they fly over the stadium and there was air traffic during the Super Bowl. Outside of irrational fear mongers nobody thinks it is unsafe.

I'm taking some lumps on this one eh?

You win some, you lose some.

BlueBlooded laying down some depressing life quotes ITT: "Life is a death sentence, we just play the odds for as long as possible."