+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 562 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: A look at the12'-13' NFL draft

Re: A look at the 2011 NFL draft

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]

Yea, but teams are going to fall in love with his size and running ability, and hes made enough really good throws that someone will think he has pro QB potential.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]i disagree, Kiwi was used in coverege and made plays in coverge while out there..[/quote]

Not this year he didnt. He was essentially just a standup roving DE. Completely different than an OLB.[/quote] still dropped in coverege.. Not to mention, hes not a LB anymore.. Akeem Ayers can play the traditonal SLB in a 4/3 which ucla has done, and its on tape to see for everyone, plus he can come to the line and rush the QB outta the standup positon.. So whats the problem?

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote]

Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know.

I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote] Mallett is taking Arkansas to i believe there 1st BCS game ever, so hes gone.. What more to prove? As far as Luck, i don't know, but why risk a serious injury? We've seen it happen to QB's before, and one yr to the next can change alot of views on a player, he'd be silly to not go pro...

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote]

Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know.

I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote] Mallett is taking Arkansas to i believe there 1st BCS game ever, so hes gone.. What more to prove? As far as Luck, i don't know, but why risk a serious injury? We've seen it happen to QB's before, and one yr to the next can change alot of views on a player, he'd be silly to not go pro...

[quote user="nycsportzfan"] he can come to the line and rush the QB outta the standup positon.. So whats the problem?
    [/quote]

Which is exactly why he has more value as a 3-4 SLB.

Akeem ayers looks nearly perfect. he can rush the passer in so many different ways, very versatile,his technique at shedding blocks is impressive (which is rare nowadays), doesn't miss tackles, gets good depth in zone coverage, and he has shown some playmaking ability with INTs and sacks.

But IMO Ayers looks a little tentative & conservative out there in some situations, he doesn't seem very aggressive. He reads & reacts slowly. He doesn't have much instincts from what I've seen.He rarelysniffs out and diagnose plays before they developand make any instinctual plays compared to other LBs like travis lewis, foster, herzlich, etc. Tho, I could be wrong here. Maybe its the scheme and coaches limiting him to let his instincts take over, I don't know. If he can improve in that area, he is pretty much a nearflawless LB (although his motor and coverage skills aren't flawless, but they're good)

In the end, I'm not completely convinced the giants will take ayers. ayers doesn't have a lot of upside as far as athleticism goes. He's a good technician and pretty much a'what you see is what you get' prospect. the giants love to draft players with high upside &potential and try to develop them from there.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="nycsportzfan"] he can come to the line and rush the QB outta the standup positon.. So whats the problem?
    [/quote]

Which is exactly why he has more value as a 3-4 SLB.[/quote] probably should quote the whole post if u want it to make sense... As i said, he can play in coverege in a 4/3 which he has done at UCLA, and theres tape on it, if u haven't all ready seen it, and he can rush the passer at a standup positon if asked as well.. So whats the problem? Theres a good chance he goes to a 3/4 team, as theres alot of 3/4 teams out there.. He looks the part of a SLB, period... He plays in many diffrent looks, and could be successful in either...

[quote user="Neverend"]

Akeem ayers looks nearly perfect. he can rush the passer in so many different ways, very versatile,his technique at shedding blocks is impressive (which is rare nowadays), doesn't miss tackles, gets good depth in zone coverage, and he has shown some playmaking ability with INTs and sacks.

But IMO Ayers looks a little tentative & conservative out there in some situations, he doesn't seem very aggressive. He reads & reacts slowly. He doesn't have much instincts from what I've seen.He rarelysniffs out and diagnose plays before they developand make any instinctual plays compared to other LBs like travis lewis, foster, herzlich, etc. Tho, I could be wrong here. Maybe its the scheme and coaches limiting him to let his instincts take over, I don't know. If he can improve in that area, he is pretty much a nearflawless LB (although his motor and coverage skills aren't flawless, but they're good)

In the end, I'm not completely convinced the giants will take ayers. ayers doesn't have a lot of upside as far as athleticism goes. He's a good technician and pretty much a'what you see is what you get' prospect. the giants love to draft players with high upside &potential and try to develop them from there.

[/quote] His instincts are what stands out about him... He makes plays! Go look back at his INTS, there is incredible instincts... He had a INT for a TD against Temple last yr, where he was asked to rush, he then slipped fell down, got up right as the QB was gonna pass the ball in the flats, he then jumped up and instead of just batting down the ball, caught it, and ran the few yrds for a td, showing awesome athletiscim and instincts and skill.. He also had a ridiculous play eerily similar against i think ARZ ST or ORG ST(can't remember), where he jumped up and instead of batting the ball down, he simply caught it somehow in the endzone and got both feet down in the back of the endzone(don't ask me how?) for a TD.. A Ridiculous feet of athletic ability and skill... He makes plays against the run and against the pass and behind the line... He is good at not over pursueing plays, and plays the game with a level head.. His instincts are what stick out to me..

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Neverend"]

[/quote] His instincts are what stands out about him... He makes plays! Go look back at his INTS, there is incredible instincts... He had a INT for a TD against Temple last yr, where he was asked to rush, he then slipped fell down, got up right as the QB was gonna pass the ball in the flats, he then jumped up and instead of just batting down the ball, caught it, and ran the few yrds for a td, showing awesome athletiscim and instincts and skill.. He also had a ridiculous play eerily similar against i think ARZ ST or ORG ST(can't remember), where he jumped up and instead of batting the ball down, he simply caught it somehow in the endzone and got both feet down in the back of the endzone(don't ask me how?) for a TD.. A Ridiculous feet of athletic ability and skill... He makes plays against the run and against the pass and behind the line... He is good at not over pursueing plays, and plays the game with a level head.. His instincts are what stick out to me..
    [/quote]

Excuse me, i meant his instincts against the run. i know he's a playmaker against the pass with a lot of picks as he has a tremendous nose for the football but its his play against the run that i feel has a lot to be desired. he doesn't over pursue but i think that has something to do with him being very conservative. he doesn't attack blockers and stuff gaps. he playsa little tooconservative. its just a small flaw i notice with ayers. i would like him to diagnose plays faster against the run and trust his instincts instead of reading & reacting tentatively and slowly. For example, I rememeber watching a misdirection that could have potentially been a 5 yard loss in the backfield but turned out to be a nice positive gain because it took too long for ayers to diagnose the play. he wasn't out of positionnor didhe over puruse because if he did that play could've gone for 20+ yds, but he also wasn't aggressive enough which caused a negative/no gain play into a positive play. it could go both ways i guess but i think ayers needs to improve in this area a little bit. im honestly just nit picking here lol

but definitely a stud in all other areas. great instincts and nose for the ball against the pass, good blitzer (thats how he gets most of his TFL's anyway), and pretty solid at everything else. I saw that crazy play against oregon. im not sayin ayers has no atlheticism, im saying the giants may draft a LB that may not be as polished as ayers, but may have more upside and potential and may develop him into a starter compared to ayers who is a what you see is what you get guy. not a guy who is going to improve and become a better player than he was in college because he is already polished and developed.however, ayers is going to bea damn good 'what you see is what you get' player

+ Reply to Thread