+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 562 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 5613

Thread: A look at the12'-13' NFL draft

Re: A look at the 2011 NFL draft

[quote user="Neverend"][quote user="nevada11"][quote user="Neverend"]

Linebackers that made the transition playing off the ball just from the 2009 draft alone:

Aaron Curry

Robert Ayers

Larry English

Clint Sintim

Cody Brown

I'll pass on ayers. Not that he never did play off the ball before, but I think he might be a little bit of a tweener honestly. Speed does matter in coverage as well as fluidity, you can't downplay that and try to convince yourself it doesn't matter.

[/quote]

So we can downplay the linebackers that DID make the transition? Two words: Clay Matthews. He can rush the passer, he can cover the slot, he does it all for the Packers

[/quote]

This is very true. Clay Matthews was used predominantly as a DE at USC on the ball and was a DE/LB hybrid in that scheme but he gainedlike 15-20 lbsbefore his rookie season tho whichpretty much means he's a pass rusher first, everything else second.I don't think you can compare clay matthews to anyone, he's just a special pass rusher and has a phenomenal motor. He doesn't drop into coverage or get off blocks against the run amazingly well anyway, the steelers ran at him at the super bowl with quite success. And Clay Matthews has terrific instincts where ayers really doesn't. I was reading a piece a few days ago about clay matthews leading the nfl in unblocked sacks (and they werent on twists and stunts either), he has great instincts/anticipation skills.

[/quote]

no i wasnt comparing ayers to matthews. i said matthews because you were talking about that on/off the ball stuff and linebackers that were or were not successful.

Ayers was used more "off the ball" in 2009 and was still considered a 1st round pick after that season. He's going to be a good player in the nfl and has as much of a bust chance as anyone else. If he improves at his pro day the Giants will jump all over him. Reese loves versatile players

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nevada11"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nevada11"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nevada11"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nevada11"]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]ya, but he also goes on to say, that Ayers has a Skillset and versatility to play in any scheme..

Lets face it.. The combine dosen't matter, all that much anyways.. None of the guys do what they did at the combine, at there prodays... Just yesterday alone, Brandon Harris had a Worse Vertical, and Jeff Maehl, Derek Sherrod and Kj Wright all ran worse 40's then they did at the combine, and guys like Justin Harper, Mark Ingram ran better 40times, and Damion Berry lost 5or6 lbs since then... The combine, is just one day to these guys, not a definite, what they do on any and all days... Like i said then, u time these guys tommorow, and they'll probably be diffrent times and leaps and all that stuff... It'd be silly to think hes a 3/4 guy based on just the combine... If he plays faster on the feild, and is scheme versatile, and can play in coverege, along with rush the passer and make plays against the run, then he can play in any system....
    [/quote]

at least there is one person out there still alive who supports akeem ayers around here. Akeem Ayers game speed is arguably one of the best out of all the linebackers. So what if he ran slow? He's FLUID whereas Martez Wilson runs fast but is STIFF. A man like martez wilson can run fast in a straight line down a seam with a receiver on a go route, sure. but is he going to cover slants or intermediate routes with as stiff as he is? No. 40 times might be the most overrated drill in the book.

[/quote]the 3 cone drill shows speed and agility and Ayers did poorly in that as well. Wilson was almost a half a sec better U have no idea what your talking about.[/quote]

I have no idea what I'm talking about? Dude, did you read my post at all? I never said akeem ayers was fast in the drills, he was timed slow and was nearly bottom in all of them. But he showed FLUIDITY in some of the drills which I will take 10 times out of 10 over blazing fast speed. Think and re-read posts before you click enter man

[/quote]

You critizied Wilsons stiffness the drill im talking about measures agility. Wilson was far better in the agility drill by almost a half a second therefore U have no idea what your talking about.

[/quote]

You are just saying "u have no idea what your talking about" to just say it to get to me because I never once said Wilson lacks agility or speed, I said akeem ayers arguably has one of the best game speed out of all the linebackers, I never said he had the very best.

Obviously every drill doesn't measure fluidity, but in the ones that do (hip rotation drill which is supposed to simulate pass drops for a linebacker) ayers excelled even if he did get timed slowly.

Instead of trying to follow other people with that "u dont know what your saying" nonsense, lets try having a civil conversation that doesnt involve trolling and purposely misinterpreting me for the sake of an argument

[/quote] U just said he was stiff. That pretty much means he he cant change directions. Agility measures your change of direction speed. The 3 cone drill measures agility . Wilson was not slow in the 3 cone drill ,Ayers was get how that works.[/quote]

Stiff hips =/= can't change directions. When I said martez wilson is stiff he changes directions with lack of fluidity.

You can run a 4.3 and still have stiff hips.

[/quote]

and he can still get to the play faster. The 3 cone drill measures how quickly u flip your hips and change direction. Mccluster ran a horrible 40 and the fastest 3 cone drill. It showed he could change directions quickly so his straight line speed doesnt matter. If Wilson had the worst 3 cone drill time then I would say u may be on to something but he didnt and your not.

[/quote]

Now you're confusing me. We're talking about two different drills. I'm talking about the hip rotation drill which Wilson's stiffness showed and Ayers was very fluid. Von Miller even looked bad in that drill which is OK because he's not accustomed to it. 3 cone drill is mostly about changing directions without losing speed or balance, not about your hip transition and fluidity in your breaks in coverage. That drill is mostly valuable for a RB or a wr like you said.The hip rotation drill is about stiff/fluidity in your hips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU3CILPRDp0

Janoris Jenkins vs Alabama

Not much here because Janoris Jenkins played his *** off in this game. He shut down Julio Jones

How the Heck did Jaquizz Rodgers gain a Inch in Height since the Combine??LOL Now, hes 5ft 7inch..lol He also ran a 4.47, big diffrence between that and 4.6something he ran at combine.. Also, Marcus Cannon lost like 8lbs or something since the combine.. I just don't get why we bother with the combine, outside of the drills, it seems, its that day, and the next can be 100pct diffrent, if u had it again... Oh well, people are slowely catching on....

Its something to do, i think, more then anything else....

God, i can't wait untill the draft.....

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]

Not much here because Janoris Jenkins played his *** off in this game. He shut down Julio Jones

[/quote] Ya, he was sensational.. I wonder if people would of been debating as hard with me about Jenkins had he came out, becuase i'd of been called Jenkins AGENT by now, as well..lol I love this kid....

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]How the Heck did Jaquizz Rodgers gain a Inch in Height since the Combine??LOL Now, hes 5ft 7inch..lol He also ran a 4.47, big diffrence between that and 4.6something he ran at combine.. Also, Marcus Cannon lost like 8lbs or something since the combine.. I just don't get why we bother with the combine, outside of the drills, it seems, its that day, and the next can be 100pct diffrent, if u had it again... Oh well, people are slowely catching on....

Its something to do, i think, more then anything else....

God, i can't wait untill the draft.....

[/quote]The surface of the tracks are different for the 40 times thats why u get such different times.Many pro days are run on fast tracks.The combine gives them a chance to put everybody on even ground to see how they stack up against each other.The scouts and coaches want to see how the kids react and perform out of there element when things are not controlled by there people.The Pro day stuff I throw out the window unless they didnt perform the drill or where hurt at the combine.

Veteran

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]

[/quote] Ya, he was sensational.. I wonder if people would of been debating as hard with me about Jenkins had he came out, becuase i'd of been called Jenkins AGENT by now, as well..lol I love this kid....
    [/quote]

I was pissed when Jenkins decided to return to school... I understand the decision, but now there's no way the Giants get him. He was the corner I wanted; not the biggest or fastest, but he shut down Jones, Green, and Alshon Jeffery. Dez Bryant would just disappear.

If he had come out, it would be an AWESOME CB class (as opposed to just great)... Peterson, Amukamara, Jenkins, Smith, Harris, House... damn.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]

[/quote]

Diagnosed some plays excellently there. Probably will be a top 10 pick next year unless some corner arises

[quote user="Neverend"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]

[/quote]

Diagnosed some plays excellently there. Probably will be a top 10 pick next year unless some corner arises

[/quote]

Im watching Texas A &M vs LSU right now and Patrick Peterson has some flaws in his game. The more closely I watch him the more I see. His physical ability is about as good as Ive ever seen from a CB but his technique is flawed. I think he will struggle some early in his career.

Im very impressed with the tapes ive seen of Texas A&M RB Cyrus Gray as well. Very good blocker, very patient runner, needs work as a receiver but a very good RB. Maybe I should start a thread of 2012 prospects but I wanted to switch the name of this thread after the draft to 2012 so we could save the posts. During the off season I was going to profile 2012 prospects anyway so I guess I will touch on them again anyway.

[quote user="Neverend"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Slip said he got a 3rd round grade from the draft committee this year. I mean his physical size is not impressive but thesegreat receivers with awesome physical size are getting shut down. Jeffery,Green, and Jones had a combined 114 yards against Jenkins

+ Reply to Thread