[quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Raptor22"]Just curious, does Courtny Upshaw ever drop into coverage?

I love his closing burst, his hustle, and special teams work. However, he's ALWAYS on the line... he's Kiwi 2.0

I'm kinda doubting that they take a LB unless he's a great value... I think the LB's are going to improve this year.

Maybe DL, (one of the North Carolina DE's would be amazing), WR (I'd still love to get Jeffery), RB if value presents... maybe a Safety if there are any good ones this year.
[/quote] There is alot of value with LB though... I mean, Zach Brown/Kuelechy, Burfict/Te'o and Trav Lewis... I guess they could wait, but theres a nice crop right there... But, who knows...
[/quote]

Oh, I agree. if one of those guys falls to the Giants, I think they'll take one, but if it comes between Coples and one of them... (actually, with his injuries and lack of size, Lewis may be had in the 2nd... that would make for an AWESOME draft)
[/quote] Ya, his injury going into this yr might bite Travis Lewis in the rear, but i've watched that kid enough to realize hes the type of player i like! I actually wanted Travis Lewis this past yr in the first ROUND well before the draft appraoched obviously... The kid is a playmaker, that gets involved, and seems to always be around the ball.. I picture Travis Lewis and Fewell as a match made in heaven...

I think Trav Lewis would be the perfect replacement for Boley when the time comes, and i think Trav Lewis does the kinda things we envisioned Boley doing when we signed em... If we could steal Travis Lewis in the 2nd round, i'd be amped and surprised...

All this said, i've been saying all offseason that i really like what Reese has done with this LB unit, and how hes brought together what i feel is a strong unit, about to really explode onto the scene this season.. Getting guys like Tracy in RD 6 and Greg Jones in RD 6, and Goff in rd 5, and Dillard in 4...etc All these guys were bigtime players on there teams in college, and fell because of suspect reasons, and reese was there waiting... Trav would be the final piece to the puzzle...
[/quote]

Those guys falling is another reason why they may not take a linebacker in the 1st... why take a guy in the 1st when he's going to fall to the 2nd or 3rd?

Linebackers are kinda turning into the TE's of the defense (certainly for 43 teams). Yeah a good/great one is important, but there are much more important positions... its a 2nd round position now. (yes, I realize Miller went 2nd overall this year, but that's because of his passrushing ability, not overall linebacking.)

From what I've seen, I kinda think Upshaw is the first LB off the board (I'm thinking San Fran or Buffalo), just because he can get to the passer.
[/quote] well, it depends.. Greg JOnes kinda fell for things i never agree with, like size, overall speed and being thought of as more straight line downhill LB and not multi dimensional... I totally dissagred and think his heart and fire along with tenacity and instincts to play this game are what should be looked at.. The guy just knows what to do on a football field, and even though hes not known for playing the pass, i could see him make some plays on pure effort alone in that area... Goff was similar to Jones, and i remember seeing Goff predicited to go in RD 3 by some sites and he ended up in RD 5 because of being known as mostly a downhill thumper, but reese sees these guys as firey give all players that find the ball and go hard every play, and strive to make the plays..

Adrian Tracy is another guy who fell because he was a undersized DE that was gonna have to make the switch in the pros and also was at small school Will and Mary.. I loved tracy because of his "motor" and ability to make plays and smarts.. The guys like super smart, has a fantastic body on em, and nice length.. Reese ends up getting him in rd 6.. Reese is very smart at finding talent in the draft, and if i was ever a GM, i'd be very similar to Reese as far as drafting goes...