+ Reply to Thread
Page 331 of 562 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341381431 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 5613

Thread: A look at the12'-13' NFL draft

Re: A look at the 2012 NFL draft

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]

never got to do my last mock after the super bowl, so i'm doing it now.. What a ride, the 2011 season was for us..

1. Dwayne Allen Te Clemson- I think Allen makes to much sense, and if hes there, with the injury to ballard and beckum, will be the pick... Allen would also help ease the pain of losing mario as well(if we do lose mario, which i think we will)

2. Bobbie Massie Ot Ole Miss- A really solid tackle prospect, whos under the radar some , for the bad season the rebels had this past yr, but i can remember seeing Massie as a 1st rder by some going into this past season.. Massie would give us depth at the Tackle positon, which is a need, and he could challenge James Brewer for the future at RT, and probably fill in for Will Beatty down the line at LT if need be...

3. Nigel Bradham Lb Fla St- Good looking thumper from FLA ST, who could probably play Strongside, and weakside if need be.... Great intensity, which would fit well with the young players we got coming along on defnese..

4. Vick Ballard Rb Miss St- Thumper would be great duo back with Bradshaw going forward, regardless if we keep BJ or not.. Very underrated in a class full of depth at RB...

5. Tysyn Hartman S Kan St- good size and length, and makes plays.. Was heart of backfield on stong defensive unit at K-st this past season... Kinda flying under the radar, and could fill the role Deon Grant played for us the past couple seasons..

6. Chandler Harnish Qb No Illinois- Nice developmental QB, who can run with the ball and throw it..

7. D'anton Lynn Cb Penn St- fits the giants prefrence of bigger stronger CB's, and could possibly stick..

[/quote]

I would be VERY happy with those picks, particularly round 1-4

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

never got to do my last mock after the super bowl, so i'm doing it now.. What a ride, the 2011 season was for us..

1. Dwayne Allen Te Clemson- I think Allen makes to much sense, and if hes there, with the injury to ballard and beckum, will be the pick... Allen would also help ease the pain of losing mario as well(if we do lose mario, which i think we will)

2. Bobbie Massie Ot Ole Miss- A really solid tackle prospect, whos under the radar some , for the bad season the rebels had this past yr, but i can remember seeing Massie as a 1st rder by some going into this past season.. Massie would give us depth at the Tackle positon, which is a need, and he could challenge James Brewer for the future at RT, and probably fill in for Will Beatty down the line at LT if need be...

3. Nigel Bradham Lb Fla St- Good looking thumper from FLA ST, who could probably play Strongside, and weakside if need be.... Great intensity, which would fit well with the young players we got coming along on defnese..

4. Vick Ballard Rb Miss St- Thumper would be great duo back with Bradshaw going forward, regardless if we keep BJ or not.. Very underrated in a class full of depth at RB...

5. Tysyn Hartman S Kan St- good size and length, and makes plays.. Was heart of backfield on stong defensive unit at K-st this past season... Kinda flying under the radar, and could fill the role Deon Grant played for us the past couple seasons..

6. Chandler Harnish Qb No Illinois- Nice developmental QB, who can run with the ball and throw it..

7. D'anton Lynn Cb Penn St- fits the giants prefrence of bigger stronger CB's, and could possibly stick..

[/quote]

[/quote] thanks.. Alot of offense in first 4rds, but solid value, and at positons that could become area's of need real quick with injuries and or age/ guys gettting cut... Vick Ballard won't light up the combine, but on the field, he shows a good burst, power, and balance... I could see him being a lead horse one day, possibly...

I watched Tysyn Hartman play towards end of season, and was really impressed with his all around game, despite not being a total blazer.. Whats your take on him, just outta curiousity? I did have Sean Cattouse as my safety in the rd 4-6 range, but now i got Tysyn Hartman ahead of him by a bit, if we go safety in mid rd's..

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]I think Fletcher Cox may be the best DT in this class. The last 7 games of the season he just mauled people. He has elite agility,great speed and a high running motor. The only thing holding him back is his technique which is sloppy.I think he will run faster then Austin at the combine as well. He is scheme specific as he really only is a gap shooter. I have seen Mock drafts with the Eagles taking him.I really hope they dont.he would be an absolute terror in there defense[/quote]

I could see Cox actually being a great fit for a 1 gap 3-4 team. He is a really good penetrating 5 tech, which he was asked to do a ton in college.

Im not sure what size he played at in college, but i somewhat doubt he was over 290. Either way though, he still played like he was a 260 pound end.

Would be interesting if he was on the board at 32. That lateral agility he has, if he ever mastered a swim move, lookout, would be quite the terror inside.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]I think Fletcher Cox may be the best DT in this class. The last 7 games of the season he just mauled people. He has elite agility,great speed and a high running motor. The only thing holding him back is his technique which is sloppy.I think he will run faster then Austin at the combine as well. He is scheme specific as he really only is a gap shooter. I have seen Mock drafts with the Eagles taking him.I really hope they dont.he would be an absolute terror in there defense[/quote] I could see Cox actually being a great fit for a 1 gap 3-4 team. He is a really good penetrating 5 tech, which he was asked to do a ton in college. Im not sure what size he played at in college, but i somewhat doubt he was over 290. Either way though, he still played like he was a 260 pound end. Would be interesting if he was on the board at 32. That lateral agility he has, if he ever mastered a swim move, lookout, would be quite the terror inside.[/quote] He reminds me of a bulldog, which is ironic, because he played for the bulldogs.. I think hes got underrated strength, that probably has something to do with his tenacious motor, which never stops.. He plays angry and always at 100pct, which i love.. Its a trait i seen in JPP and Whitney Mercilus as well.. Those are the type of guys i really like to have on the team, talented guys with big motors, that force turnovers... I think hes gonna weight 300 at least, and possibly a few lbs more.. He looks like hes jacked for a DT and muscle weighs...

Heres a great Scouting Report on Whitney Mercilus from Walts site.. I pretty much coulden't agree more, and he sees him as a riser by draft day, just as i do...

6. Whitney Mercilus, 6-4/265

7. Defensive End

8. Illinois

9. Whitney Mercilus Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
  10. Raw speed to turn the edge
  11. Agility to sink his hips/shoulder
  12. Strength
  13. Repertoire of moves
  14. Active hands
  15. Has the strength to anchor and hold his ground vs. the run
  16. Always looking to force fumbles
  17. Quick get off
  18. Shedding blocks when pass rushing
  19. Ability to bull rush heavy tackles and guards
  20. Extremely athletic

Weaknesses:
  21. One-year wonder
  22. Lacks complete body of work in college
  23. Quality of tackles he faced

Summary: Whitney Mercilus was the most productive pass-rusher in college football in 2011. He led the nation in sacks (16) and forced fumbles (9). It was a record-setting season as Mercilus topped Simeon Rice's school record for sacks in a year. Like Rice, Mercilus is a fabulous athlete. He has a special combination of size, speed and strength to go along with excellent technique. Mercilus also recorded 57 tackles and 22.5 tackles for a loss.

Entering the NFL, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher. He got the better of the best tackles he faced this season. Against Ohio State's Mike Adams, Mercilus recorded 1.5 sacks with a forced fumble. The Wisconsin Badgers' powerful offensive line couldn't contain Mercilus. He bull rushed through massive right tackle Josh Oglesby to get a sack-fumble on Russell Wilson. Mercilus also knocked out left tackle Ricky Wagner for part of the game.

Mercilus has a very impressive repertoire of pass rushing moves. He attacks with speed around the edge. As a counter to the speed, he has the strength to execute rip moves and shed offensive linemen. Mercilus has the raw power to get under offensive linemen's pads and bull rush into the pocket. That catches linemen by surprise as they are so cognizant of being ready for his speed rush. Beyond his great physical skill set, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher technically.

Mercilus holds up well in run defense. Linemen don't push him around, as he is strong at the point of attack. He also will burst into the backfield to disrupt running plays.

The big question regarding Mercilus is why didn't break into the lineup sooner and why didn't he produce more earlier. In 2009 and 2010, Mercilus combined to record 24 tackles with two sacks and 6.5 tackles for a loss.

Player Comparison: Jason Pierre-Paul. There are a lot of similarities between Mercilus and JPP. Both are fantastic athletes who come to the NFL with a special combination of speed and strength. They also were one-year wonders at the college level. Mercilus had more production than JPP in their final college season, and the latter has turned into one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL.

Right now, it looks like Mercilus should get drafted in the same range as JPP. However, it is possible that Mercilus will be this year's Aldon Smith and surprise some by cracking the top 10. It is not out of the question for him to pass North Carolina's Quinton Coples in the lead up to the 2012 NFL Draft. JPP did that with Derrick Morgan in 2010. Projecting Mercilus to the pros, I see a player similar to Pierre-Paul.

NFL Matches: Jacksonville, Chicago, San Diego, New York Jets, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit

What team couldn't use another pass-rusher? Mercilus has the athletic ability to be a stand-up edge-rusher in 3-4 defenses, and that opens him up to consideration from a lot of teams. He looks like a natural right defensive end in a 4-3 defense who will challenge left tackles.

The Jaguars will have the first crack at Mercilus, and they need an edge rusher. Buffalo, San Diego and the Jets are all 3-4 defenses that need to find a player who can put heat on the quarterback. If Mercilus gets past all of those teams, he could end up in Chicago. They need some young talent for their defense. It would be a significant fall for Mercilus to get to the Browns' second first-round selection, but they could use an end to complete their young front four. The Lions almost took a defensive end last year, and if they don't re-sign Cliff Avril, they might consider trading up to land Mercilus.

It seems that we also have the scouting report on Mercilus' social security, love for anime and potential future baby daughter. That's what I call thorough analysis!

[quote user="bLuereverie"]It seems that we also have the scouting report on Mercilus' social security, love for anime and potential future baby daughter. That's what I call thorough analysis![/quote] ya, my bad, didn't mean to copy all that junk with the scouting report..lol

watching this college football all star challenge on ESPNU, and its funny as they had a Marine do the Obstacle Course before the players, and i swear, the marine looked 100pct better then all the LB's and Isaiah Pead...lol They bumbled around and the marine was totally smooth and not nearly as tired after the event as the players...lol

Weird additional code aside, we can't really be thinking about drafting another top end DE, can we? If we lose Osi, using Kiwi more at DE behind Tuck and JPP and drafting a proper LB makes more sense than drafting yet another DE, doesn't it?

Ah, who am I kidding? This is the Giants we're talking about, so it will be no LBs and a DE in the 1st or 2nd, to my shock and amazement, yet again. I could see us taking Nick Perry or Mercilus in the first and having everyone scratching their heads like they were (and I was, admittedly) when we took JPP and Linval in 2010, and passed up the top LBs altogether. I'm man enough to admit that I thought we were crazy to pass on Brandon Spikes when he was still there for our #46 pick, and while Spikes is pretty nice, Linval is probably more valuable in the end.

Now that I expect it, they'll probably draft DLs at both #32 and #64 just to make my head explode again. Trying to pick the Giants' drafting strategy is pointless.

Real talk though - It is pretty crazy to think that we're all sitting here discussing the possibility that a team that has basically won two Superbowls in five years on the strength of their DL, might actually be using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a DE.

Michael Vick, Tony Romo and whoever ends up starting for Washington must hate the Giants front office with a passion . What other division in football has to deal with a team so consistently and openly focused on committing violent assault on opposing QBs?

JPP reserved 9 of his 16.5 sacks just for our divisional rivals [:O] You'd almost feel sorry for them if it wasn't happening to teams that so thoroughly, thoroughly deserved it... [6]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[/quote]

[/quote] thanks.. Alot of offense in first 4rds, but solid value, and at positons that could become area's of need real quick with injuries and or age/ guys gettting cut... Vick Ballard won't light up the combine, but on the field, he shows a good burst, power, and balance... I could see him being a lead horse one day, possibly...

[/quote]

If we choose not to go for 1 of the early RB prospects, then I love Ballard for us. Although, I do not think he will last until the last pick in the 4th round, not after the senior bowl week he had.

The thing I really like about him, and the reason I think he fits well for us, is the instinctive way he waits for his blocks. It would be very disapointing to see him get drafted by a team that doesnt use a fullback. I mean no disrespect to Bradshaw or Jacobs, but these are 2 guys who have never been good at waiting for blocks. Jacobs has a bad habbit of tying to go outside if the hole isnt immediately there and Bradshaw will cutback or find another crack. But, we dont have a guy who waits for the Fullback or pulling guard to set his block. I think we need it for short yardage situations.

I like his stout compact build, the way he carries the football, his north south tendency and the way he will just plant and drive if the play seems to have broken down. This kid has what it takes to be a good short yardage back. I also think he is faster than given credit.

+ Reply to Thread