+ Reply to Thread
Page 338 of 562 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348388438 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 5613

Thread: A look at the12'-13' NFL draft

Re: A look at the 2012 NFL draft

[quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]Heres a little Scouting Report from Walt football on mercilus I only put it on here because of the player comparison of JPP I agree with Walt about Whitney being pretty athletic. Even if u don't think hes that athletic u gotta love Whitney as a prospect

2. Whitney Mercilus, 6-4/265

3. Defensive End

4. Illinois

5. Whitney Mercilus Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
  6. Raw speed to turn the edge
  7. Agility to sink his hips/shoulder
  8. Strength
  9. Repertoire of moves
  10. Active hands
  11. Has the strength to anchor and hold his ground vs. the run
  12. Always looking to force fumbles
  13. Quick get off
  14. Shedding blocks when pass rushing
  15. Ability to bull rush heavy tackles and guards
  16. Extremely athletic

Weaknesses:
  17. One-year wonder
  18. Lacks complete body of work in college
  19. Quality of tackles he faced

Summary: Whitney Mercilus was the most productive pass-rusher in college football in 2011. He led the nation in sacks (16) and forced fumbles (9). It was a record-setting season as Mercilus topped Simeon Rice's school record for sacks in a year. Like Rice, Mercilus is a fabulous athlete. He has a special combination of size, speed and strength to go along with excellent technique. Mercilus also recorded 57 tackles and 22.5 tackles for a loss.

Entering the NFL, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher. He got the better of the best tackles he faced this season. Against Ohio State's Mike Adams, Mercilus recorded 1.5 sacks with a forced fumble. The Wisconsin Badgers' powerful offensive line couldn't contain Mercilus. He bull rushed through massive right tackle Josh Oglesby to get a sack-fumble on Russell Wilson. Mercilus also knocked out left tackle Ricky Wagner for part of the game.

Mercilus has a very impressive repertoire of pass rushing moves. He attacks with speed around the edge. As a counter to the speed, he has the strength to execute rip moves and shed offensive linemen. Mercilus has the raw power to get under offensive linemen's pads and bull rush into the pocket. That catches linemen by surprise as they are so cognizant of being ready for his speed rush. Beyond his great physical skill set, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher technically.

Mercilus holds up well in run defense. Linemen don't push him around, as he is strong at the point of attack. He also will burst into the backfield to disrupt running plays.

The big question regarding Mercilus is why didn't break into the lineup sooner and why didn't he produce more earlier. In 2009 and 2010, Mercilus combined to record 24 tackles with two sacks and 6.5 tackles for a loss.

Player Comparison: Jason Pierre-Paul. There are a lot of similarities between Mercilus and JPP. Both are fantastic athletes who come to the NFL with a special combination of speed and strength. They also were one-year wonders at the college level. Mercilus had more production than JPP in their final college season, and the latter has turned into one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL.

Right now, it looks like Mercilus should get drafted in the same range as JPP. However, it is possible that Mercilus will be this year's Aldon Smith and surprise some by cracking the top 10. It is not out of the question for him to pass North Carolina's Quinton Coples in the lead up to the 2012 NFL Draft. JPP did that with Derrick Morgan in 2010. Projecting Mercilus to the pros, I see a player similar to Pierre-Paul.

NFL Matches: Jacksonville, Chicago, San Diego, New York Jets, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit

What team couldn't use another pass-rusher? Mercilus has the athletic ability to be a stand-up edge-rusher in 3-4 defenses, and that opens him up to consideration from a lot of teams. He looks like a natural right defensive end in a 4-3 defense who will challenge left tackles.

The Jaguars will have the first crack at Mercilus, and they need an edge rusher. Buffalo, San Diego and the Jets are all 3-4 defenses that need to find a player who can put heat on the quarterback. If Mercilus gets past all of those teams, he could end up in Chicago. They need some young talent for their defense. It would be a significant fall for Mercilus to get to the Browns' second first-round selection, but they could use an end to complete their young front four. The Lions almost took a defensive end last year, and if they don't re-sign Cliff Avril, they might consider trading up to land Mercilus.

20. [/quote]Who is Charlie Campbell? Not a knock on Mercilus, but to compare him to JPP is just ridiculous.
    [/quote] Why is it ridiculous? Hes not saying hes gonna be JPP but hes saying he is a good comparison of where Whitney could be if everything works out Hes also comparing him to JPP because like JPP Whitney is a one yr wonder who came outta nowhere and will likely fly up draft boards as the draft approaches Hes a sensational prospect and don't fall for Whitney being what hes talked about now because trust me when the draft is here Whitney will be going in the pick 15-23ish of the 1st round
    [/quote]IDK Sportzfan, I haven't watched enough on him so I really can't speak but just by reading all different kinds of scouting reports he seems like a classic "boom or bust" type of guy. Like I said, I keep up w/ the ACC & SEC guys down here in Florida so I don't know enough to pass judgement on the guy. Do you really want to take that risk in the 1st round w/ Mercilus? If he's projected to go somewhere in the 15-23 overall range, then that makes him a bargain for the Giants, right? Check out this article Rob Rang wrote up on Mercilus. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...t-firstrounder
    [/quote] Welp, i think the combine showed that Mercilus is pretty athletic, just as i said.. Also, as i was saying for months, hes gonna be a riser come draft time, and i think this combine performance gurantees him a top 20-25 pick, and possibly a bit earlier.. I knew he wasen't gonna be going in RD 2 or wherever some of these sites had him going a month ago...

Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illinois
    Whitney Mercilus showed off his athleticism in Indianapolis. He ran a 4.63 with a 1.56 10-yard split and also notched a 32-inch vertical. He really impressed in the drills, solidifying his top-25 status.

[/quote]Umm, I remember this post from like early January, you must be trying to prove something, I'm confused. What's the point of this post?
    [/quote] Yeah I never said he wasnt a First Rounder, I think his value is on the borderline of the first /2nd round. All I said is his game doesnt remind me of JPP or Aldon Smith. Always thought he was a good player.I dont remember anyone saying he wasnt. Just so U know though Sportzfan the Draft advisory board gave him a 3rd round grade.[/quote]Well said, he went back to early January to dig this post up and for what? If he was trying to call me out or make me look like as a**, he obviously failed. Looks like you shot yourself in your own foot pal.

[/quote]Trust me, u don't need me to make yourself look like a ***, u do a good enough job of that on your own.. I brought this post up, because I was apart of it, not u.. I'll bring up any post i want, and if i could, i'd bring up posts from 2yrs ago as well.. I've been a avid contributor to the draft boards on here for yrs now, contributing as much, and if not more then anyone, so i'll do as i feel, thank u very much..

I brought this paticular post up because Whitney showcased himself at the combine, looking very good in the drills, and very fluid, as well as clocking a very nice 40 and 10yrd split, a second faster then Shea McClellins... I was saying for 2months now, that the guy was gonna be a riser the closer the draft gets, when the so called "draft advisory" adn many others were to blind to see it and had him going mid 2nd to late 2nd, and some 3rd rd...And i also said, hes pretty athletic, and it seemed most who thought he was not, and was just a "high motor" type DE, who also displayed good strength.. The bottom line is hes a All around DE who i thought would show off at the combine, and solitify himself as a 1st rder, and hes done just that.. That is why i brought this post up.. It had nothing to do with you, except that u happened to respond.. So get over yourself...

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]Heres a little Scouting Report from Walt football on mercilus I only put it on here because of the player comparison of JPP I agree with Walt about Whitney being pretty athletic. Even if u don't think hes that athletic u gotta love Whitney as a prospect

22. Whitney Mercilus, 6-4/265

23. Defensive End

24. Illinois

25. Whitney Mercilus Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
  26. Raw speed to turn the edge
  27. Agility to sink his hips/shoulder
  28. Strength
  29. Repertoire of moves
  30. Active hands
  31. Has the strength to anchor and hold his ground vs. the run
  32. Always looking to force fumbles
  33. Quick get off
  34. Shedding blocks when pass rushing
  35. Ability to bull rush heavy tackles and guards
  36. Extremely athletic

Weaknesses:
  37. One-year wonder
  38. Lacks complete body of work in college
  39. Quality of tackles he faced

Summary: Whitney Mercilus was the most productive pass-rusher in college football in 2011. He led the nation in sacks (16) and forced fumbles (9). It was a record-setting season as Mercilus topped Simeon Rice's school record for sacks in a year. Like Rice, Mercilus is a fabulous athlete. He has a special combination of size, speed and strength to go along with excellent technique. Mercilus also recorded 57 tackles and 22.5 tackles for a loss.

Entering the NFL, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher. He got the better of the best tackles he faced this season. Against Ohio State's Mike Adams, Mercilus recorded 1.5 sacks with a forced fumble. The Wisconsin Badgers' powerful offensive line couldn't contain Mercilus. He bull rushed through massive right tackle Josh Oglesby to get a sack-fumble on Russell Wilson. Mercilus also knocked out left tackle Ricky Wagner for part of the game.

Mercilus has a very impressive repertoire of pass rushing moves. He attacks with speed around the edge. As a counter to the speed, he has the strength to execute rip moves and shed offensive linemen. Mercilus has the raw power to get under offensive linemen's pads and bull rush into the pocket. That catches linemen by surprise as they are so cognizant of being ready for his speed rush. Beyond his great physical skill set, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher technically.

Mercilus holds up well in run defense. Linemen don't push him around, as he is strong at the point of attack. He also will burst into the backfield to disrupt running plays.

The big question regarding Mercilus is why didn't break into the lineup sooner and why didn't he produce more earlier. In 2009 and 2010, Mercilus combined to record 24 tackles with two sacks and 6.5 tackles for a loss.

Player Comparison: Jason Pierre-Paul. There are a lot of similarities between Mercilus and JPP. Both are fantastic athletes who come to the NFL with a special combination of speed and strength. They also were one-year wonders at the college level. Mercilus had more production than JPP in their final college season, and the latter has turned into one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL.

Right now, it looks like Mercilus should get drafted in the same range as JPP. However, it is possible that Mercilus will be this year's Aldon Smith and surprise some by cracking the top 10. It is not out of the question for him to pass North Carolina's Quinton Coples in the lead up to the 2012 NFL Draft. JPP did that with Derrick Morgan in 2010. Projecting Mercilus to the pros, I see a player similar to Pierre-Paul.

NFL Matches: Jacksonville, Chicago, San Diego, New York Jets, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit

What team couldn't use another pass-rusher? Mercilus has the athletic ability to be a stand-up edge-rusher in 3-4 defenses, and that opens him up to consideration from a lot of teams. He looks like a natural right defensive end in a 4-3 defense who will challenge left tackles.

The Jaguars will have the first crack at Mercilus, and they need an edge rusher. Buffalo, San Diego and the Jets are all 3-4 defenses that need to find a player who can put heat on the quarterback. If Mercilus gets past all of those teams, he could end up in Chicago. They need some young talent for their defense. It would be a significant fall for Mercilus to get to the Browns' second first-round selection, but they could use an end to complete their young front four. The Lions almost took a defensive end last year, and if they don't re-sign Cliff Avril, they might consider trading up to land Mercilus.

40. [/quote]Who is Charlie Campbell? Not a knock on Mercilus, but to compare him to JPP is just ridiculous.
    [/quote] Why is it ridiculous? Hes not saying hes gonna be JPP but hes saying he is a good comparison of where Whitney could be if everything works out Hes also comparing him to JPP because like JPP Whitney is a one yr wonder who came outta nowhere and will likely fly up draft boards as the draft approaches Hes a sensational prospect and don't fall for Whitney being what hes talked about now because trust me when the draft is here Whitney will be going in the pick 15-23ish of the 1st round
    [/quote]IDK Sportzfan, I haven't watched enough on him so I really can't speak but just by reading all different kinds of scouting reports he seems like a classic "boom or bust" type of guy. Like I said, I keep up w/ the ACC & SEC guys down here in Florida so I don't know enough to pass judgement on the guy. Do you really want to take that risk in the 1st round w/ Mercilus? If he's projected to go somewhere in the 15-23 overall range, then that makes him a bargain for the Giants, right? Check out this article Rob Rang wrote up on Mercilus. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...t-firstrounder
    [/quote] Welp, i think the combine showed that Mercilus is pretty athletic, just as i said.. Also, as i was saying for months, hes gonna be a riser come draft time, and i think this combine performance gurantees him a top 20-25 pick, and possibly a bit earlier.. I knew he wasen't gonna be going in RD 2 or wherever some of these sites had him going a month ago...

Whitney Mercilus showed off his athleticism in Indianapolis. He ran a 4.63 with a 1.56 10-yard split and also notched a 32-inch vertical. He really impressed in the drills, solidifying his top-25 status.

[/quote]Umm, I remember this post from like early January, you must be trying to prove something, I'm confused. What's the point of this post?
    [/quote] Yeah I never said he wasnt a First Rounder, I think his value is on the borderline of the first /2nd round. All I said is his game doesnt remind me of JPP or Aldon Smith. Always thought he was a good player.I dont remember anyone saying he wasnt. Just so U know though Sportzfan the Draft advisory board gave him a 3rd round grade.[/quote] I never said u didn't like em, did i? I actually never said anything about anyone in paticular on this board, it was more of a consensus that i got from around the draft world, and the Draft Advisory is even more so why i re-posted the scouting report, becuase of how way out in LF they were, and usually are.. Should i say, Good Work to them or something for being so wrong? I just don't see the draft advisorys grade, and go "oh, thats where hes going"..lol I thought he was gonna be a sure fire riser by watching him play, especially against UCLA and the games u put up, and could clear as day see his non stop motor mixed with alot of athletic ability and a ability to create turnovers, and on top of that, he came out of nowhere, and the first guy i thought of was JPP.. Sure, JPP is a animal, and whitney has proven nothing yet, but hes obviously got similarities , and were just talking about comparisons at the same point in there careers, and WHitney and JPP have alot, when comparing where whitney is now, and where JPP was at the same time..

No one said he wasen't a good player, but they debated that he wasen't athletic, and that he wasen't a clear cut 1st rder, and some had em as a 2nd rder... I went against the grain, and stepped out on a limb and called em a clear cut 1st rder, who in a dream scenario would fall to us in RD 1, but pretty much knew that was not gonna happen, and i'll gurantee it dosen't...

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]Heres a little Scouting Report from Walt football on mercilus I only put it on here because of the player comparison of JPP I agree with Walt about Whitney being pretty athletic. Even if u don't think hes that athletic u gotta love Whitney as a prospect

42. Whitney Mercilus, 6-4/265

43. Defensive End

44. Illinois

45. Whitney Mercilus Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
  46. Raw speed to turn the edge
  47. Agility to sink his hips/shoulder
  48. Strength
  49. Repertoire of moves
  50. Active hands
  51. Has the strength to anchor and hold his ground vs. the run
  52. Always looking to force fumbles
  53. Quick get off
  54. Shedding blocks when pass rushing
  55. Ability to bull rush heavy tackles and guards
  56. Extremely athletic

Weaknesses:
  57. One-year wonder
  58. Lacks complete body of work in college
  59. Quality of tackles he faced

60. [/quote]Who is Charlie Campbell? Not a knock on Mercilus, but to compare him to JPP is just ridiculous.

[/quote] Yeah I never said he wasnt a First Rounder, I think his value is on the borderline of the first /2nd round. All I said is his game doesnt remind me of JPP or Aldon Smith. Always thought he was a good player.I dont remember anyone saying he wasnt. Just so U know though Sportzfan the Draft advisory board gave him a 3rd round grade.[/quote] I never said u didn't like em, did i? I actually never said anything about anyone in paticular on this board, it was more of a consensus that i got from around the draft world, and the Draft Advisory is even more so why i re-posted the scouting report, becuase of how way out in LF they were, and usually are.. Should i say, Good Work to them or something for being so wrong? I just don't see the draft advisorys grade, and go "oh, thats where hes going"..lol I thought he was gonna be a sure fire riser by watching him play, especially against UCLA and the games u put up, and could clear as day see his non stop motor mixed with alot of athletic ability and a ability to create turnovers, and on top of that, he came out of nowhere, and the first guy i thought of was JPP.. Sure, JPP is a animal, and whitney has proven nothing yet, but hes obviously got similarities , and were just talking about comparisons at the same point in there careers, and WHitney and JPP have alot, when comparing where whitney is now, and where JPP was at the same time..

No one said he wasen't a good player, but they debated that he wasen't athletic, and that he wasen't a clear cut 1st rder, and some had em as a 2nd rder... I went against the grain, and stepped out on a limb and called em a clear cut 1st rder, who in a dream scenario would fall to us in RD 1, but pretty much knew that was not gonna happen, and i'll gurantee it dosen't...

[quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]Heres a little Scouting Report from Walt football on mercilus I only put it on here because of the player comparison of JPP I agree with Walt about Whitney being pretty athletic. Even if u don't think hes that athletic u gotta love Whitney as a prospect

62. Whitney Mercilus, 6-4/265

63. Defensive End

64. Illinois

65. Whitney Mercilus Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
  66. Raw speed to turn the edge
  67. Agility to sink his hips/shoulder
  68. Strength
  69. Repertoire of moves
  70. Active hands
  71. Has the strength to anchor and hold his ground vs. the run
  72. Always looking to force fumbles
  73. Quick get off
  74. Shedding blocks when pass rushing
  75. Ability to bull rush heavy tackles and guards
  76. Extremely athletic

Weaknesses:
  77. One-year wonder
  78. Lacks complete body of work in college
  79. Quality of tackles he faced

80. [/quote]Who is Charlie Campbell? Not a knock on Mercilus, but to compare him to JPP is just ridiculous.

[/quote] OH ya, and YES, if WHitney is there at pick 31, he'd be a BIG bargain for the giants.. And he'll probably be going between picks 15-23 as i suggested...

Whats the deal with Chase Minnifield? Dude came in at 5ft 10in which is a couple inches shorter then expected, and then lifts only 7 times on the b.press? And on top of that, hes injury prone.. Dude is going to drop a bit, id imagine...

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]

*Whats the deal with Chase Minnifield? Dude came in at 5ft 10in which is a couple inches shorter then expected, and then lifts only 7 times on the b.press?* And on top of that, hes injury prone..* Dude is going to drop a bit, id imagine...

[/quote]He doesnt look weak during the games. He is a willing tackler.Never see him shy away from contact. I always subtract an 1" when i see listed height . Guys are very rarely what they say. 2" though then the school is purposely trying to deceive and that pisses me off.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

Whats the deal with Chase Minnifield? Dude came in at 5ft 10in which is a couple inches shorter then expected, and then lifts only 7 times on the b.press? And on top of that, hes injury prone.. Dude is going to drop a bit, id imagine...

[/quote]He doesnt look weak during the games. He is a willing tackler.Never see him shy away from contact. I always subtract an 1" when i see listed height . Guys are very rarely what they say. 2" though then the school is purposely trying to deceive and that pisses me off.[/quote] which again makes u wonder what to take from these combines... I try to just use it as one little tool outta many, but for instance, in Dwayne Allen's case, it didn't matter to me what he did, i all most know hes gonna be good, and that hes got hops, but yet, his vertical at the combine left alot to be desired... Some guys i like to see do well though, guys like Stephen Hill and such, because u just don't have a ton of game reps to go on, in his case, because he didn't get balls thrown his way all the time.. Its tough to decifer what to take from these combines..

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="ELIistheFRANCHISE"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]

I will put this in the film room thread as wel but just in case U didnt see this

Doug Martin vs Arizona State 2011 "Las Vegas Bowl"

[/quote]

Redeye, whats your thoughts/film on any DE's coming in the draft this year that could fall to the 2nd or 3rd rd. Obviously you cant see the future, but some guys that could be great value in the 2nd/3rd?

[/quote]Im not really feeling any of these pass rushers to be honest with U.[/quote]Whitney Mercilus looks fantastic! I actually hope we can somehow get him to go with JPP for our future DE tandem. I think Mercilus is the closest thing to JPP since JPP.. I think he rises to far up the draft for us though.. I'm thinking Janoris Jenkins at this point because i expect mercilus, kuechly, richardson and decastro to all be gone by the time we select.. I'm now hoping for Janoris Jenkins, Chase Minnifield, Pete Konz(if he comes out), Dwayne Allen, or Jerel Worthy..[/quote]I havent disagreed with U much this season but I do disagree with U about Mercilus.I dont think he is a bad prospect but I dont see anywhere near the elite level athletic ability JPP possess's .JPP had an insane burst off the line of scrimmage,Mercilus doesnt have that.What is similar about Mercilus and JPP is the motor.Both players play hard dont take plays off and are relentless.I do like that quality about Mercilus. Mercilus isnt so much about elite athleticism but hard work.Mercilus is also pretty well refined as a player.He uses his hands and arms real well. He reminds me more of a Derrick Morgan or Robert Ayers prospect then JPP or Aldon Smith.[/quote]Got to agree w/ Redeye on Whitney Mercilus. Not a bad prospect, but nowhere near the level of JPP. I actually think Nick Perry of USC is a much better defensive end.
    [/quote] Its fine to dissagree Either way Whitney is gonna be a stud and i think u lead the nation in sacks and forced fumbles when your litteraly the focus of offensive lines unless your very athletic Hes fantastic!
    [/quote]

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="ELIistheFRANCHISE"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]

I will put this in the film room thread as wel but just in case U didnt see this

[/quote]

Redeye, whats your thoughts/film on any DE's coming in the draft this year that could fall to the 2nd or 3rd rd. Obviously you cant see the future, but some guys that could be great value in the 2nd/3rd?

[/quote]Im not really feeling any of these pass rushers to be honest with U.[/quote]Whitney Mercilus looks fantastic! I actually hope we can somehow get him to go with JPP for our future DE tandem. I think Mercilus is the closest thing to JPP since JPP.. I think he rises to far up the draft for us though.. I'm thinking Janoris Jenkins at this point because i expect mercilus, kuechly, richardson and decastro to all be gone by the time we select.. I'm now hoping for Janoris Jenkins, Chase Minnifield, Pete Konz(if he comes out), Dwayne Allen, or Jerel Worthy..[/quote]I havent disagreed with U much this season but I do disagree with U about Mercilus.I dont think he is a bad prospect but I dont see anywhere near the elite level athletic ability JPP possess's .JPP had an insane burst off the line of scrimmage,Mercilus doesnt have that.What is similar about Mercilus and JPP is the motor.Both players play hard dont take plays off and are relentless.I do like that quality about Mercilus. Mercilus isnt so much about elite athleticism but hard work.Mercilus is also pretty well refined as a player.He uses his hands and arms real well. He reminds me more of a Derrick Morgan or Robert Ayers prospect then JPP or Aldon Smith.[/quote]Well said, Mercilus doesn't remind me of JPP at all.

[quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="ELIistheFRANCHISE"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Im not really feeling any of these pass rushers to be honest with U.[/quote]Whitney Mercilus looks fantastic! I actually hope we can somehow get him to go with JPP for our future DE tandem. I think Mercilus is the closest thing to JPP since JPP.. I think he rises to far up the draft for us though.. I'm thinking Janoris Jenkins at this point because i expect mercilus, kuechly, richardson and decastro to all be gone by the time we select.. I'm now hoping for Janoris Jenkins, Chase Minnifield, Pete Konz(if he comes out), Dwayne Allen, or Jerel Worthy..[/quote]I havent disagreed with U much this season but I do disagree with U about Mercilus.I dont think he is a bad prospect but I dont see anywhere near the elite level athletic ability JPP possess's .JPP had an insane burst off the line of scrimmage,Mercilus doesnt have that.What is similar about Mercilus and JPP is the motor.Both players play hard dont take plays off and are relentless.I do like that quality about Mercilus. Mercilus isnt so much about elite athleticism but hard work.Mercilus is also pretty well refined as a player.He uses his hands and arms real well. He reminds me more of a Derrick Morgan or Robert Ayers prospect then JPP or Aldon Smith.[/quote]Got to agree w/ Redeye on Whitney Mercilus. Not a bad prospect, but nowhere near the level of JPP. I actually think Nick Perry of USC is a much better defensive end.
    [/quote] Its fine to dissagree Either way Whitney is gonna be a stud and i think u lead the nation in sacks and forced fumbles when your litteraly the focus of offensive lines unless your very athletic Hes fantastic!
    [/quote][/quote] I don't think he said hes nowhere near the level of JPP, but hes nowhere near the level Athletically.. One things for sure, half the people who think no ones near JPP's level, thought JPP was gonna bust and/or take a very long time before he was playing productive ball on a NFL level.. I felt Whitney was very athletic and much more then just a "hustle" player, and i think he showed that at the combine.. But we all are allowed to disagree on what we see with these guys.. I just know i saw a guy who was gonna rise much higher then where he was when people started getting a closer look and paying more attention to him, and he pretty much has done just that.. Hes gone from a fringe 1st rder/2nd rder, to a just about sure fire 1st rder, and more likely top 15-23 pick.. I'd be shocked if TENN passes on him with there pick, unless someone really good drops..

+ Reply to Thread