+ Reply to Thread
Page 360 of 562 FirstFirst ... 260310350358359360361362370410460 ... LastLast
Results 3,591 to 3,600 of 5613

Thread: A look at the12'-13' NFL draft

Re: A look at the 2012 NFL draft

The only thing that would concern me the most nyc, about Broyles, is the ACL injury he is recovering from.

I don't know much about Jeff Allen---You think he is a late 2nd rd pick? Did he play on the left or right side at Illinois?

“Winning is a habit. Unfortunately so is losing.”
    -Vince Lombardi

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]

* Walts Partner Charlie Campbell added a RD 5 to his* Mock, mainly because the* Skins/Rams trade, and this is how hes got our Giants going..* I don't love it, but there is a couple picks i'm happy about, mainly** Broyles in RD 4 and* Cole in RD 3...***

1. David Wilson RB Va Tech

2. Jeff Allen OT Illinois

3. Audie Cole LB Nc State-* Hes a player i think Giants will surely Covet

4. Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma-* A steal here in RD 4, and will kill mario's production if healthy...

5. Evan Rodriguez TE Temple- I like em, but dont' see the big upgrade over Bear Pascoe...

[/quote]Dont like this Mock at all. I like Rodriguez but he isnt an in line TE at all. He could replace Beckum as the Motion TE/HB. I keep seeing him mocked to the Giants and why I do like him I cant see the TE problem being solved by a 6'1" TE.

Broyles is another player I like but he is an inside receiver.With Cruz and Jernigan on the team I would like to see them draft an outside receiver.Coming off an ACL u just dont know what he is going to look like.If its anything like Steve Smith did this year no way I would draft him in the 4th Round.If the Giants doctors clear him then he could be a steal though.Jeff Allen not bad option but I dont like him there. David Wilson real nice RB but I think its a reach. Audie Cole I like him but I could see him sliding on draft day .He isnt very flexible and it will turn off many NFL teams but for the Giants he could fit as a SOLB.

Veteran

Alrighty, I guess its time I threw down a short mock:

Rd 1) Nick Perry - (DE/OLB, USC). Not my favorite DL in the draft, or even my favorite DE. However, I think the depth at DL will push him down to 32. Likewise, I think the versitility of guys like Andre Branch, Melvin Ingram, Upshaw, and Mercilus will get them taken before Perry, who I see as strictly a DE (I don't see the hips to be able to drop back into coverage)

As of RIGHT NOW, I think Mercilus is the better/more ready DE. However, a year from now, after spending time learning from Tuck and Osi, Perry could be better. Perry's long, at 6'5", with LONG arms (something JR ALWAYS looks for). He has a ridiculous first step (fastest in the combine, IIRC). In my own humble opinion, the only thing I think Perry needs is coaching. He's got all the tools to be a suitable successor to Justin Tuck, and like Mayock, I think he's a natural LDE, who has the ability to get after the QB while defending the run. Perry and JPP could terrorize QB's for years to come.

Rd 2) Doug Martin - (RB, Boise St) Probably my favorite RB in the draft. I love the way he plays, and I agree wholly that he's the next in the MJD/Ray Rice line. He runs with the authoritah to in some part replace Brandon Jacobs... while also being a natural pass catcher. Not the home run-threat that Miller and Wilson are, which I think will hurt him. Unless he's a prototypical feature back, teams just don't seem to want to go with a "steady" back like Martin. Between that and the falling stock of the RB, I could definitely see him being a steal at 64

Rd 3) Audie Cole - (LB, NC State). This guy is a prototyical Giants draft choice. Tall, long, athletic, versatile, and productive. He can play inside or outside, which will be useful going forward if Goff can't/isn't re-signed, or if Osi is traded and Kiwi needs to play DE (again). Beyond that, I think that with some coaching/seasoning, he could be one of the best LB's in the draft. I just love the way he moves... kinda reminds me of a white Patrick Willis (just eye-test, nobody get their knickers in a knot)

Rd 4) James Brown (T/G, Troy): JR's typical mid-round OL steal. Another Giants prototype, with freakishly long arms and great athleticism. Despite coming from a small school, he comported himself well whenever faced by high-level competition. A former tackle who will probably have to kick inside to guard, he did very well in the pulling drill at the combine (good skill to have for a Giants lineman). He can also sub at RT, if necessary.

Rd 5) Marcel Jones (T, Nebraska). Big, Tall, and he's got a fro. I thought he performed well in the combine. Not the fastest guy (at all), but he's got size and I thought he did well in the on-field drills. Also, he REALLY reminds me of Julius (Samuel L. Jackson's character from Pulp Fiction). Isn't that reason enough?

Rd 6) Random FSU freak that only Jerry Reese knows about. You know its going to happen.

Rd 7) Kellen Moore (QB, Boise St.) Three reasons for this one: 1) Winningest college QB ever. 2) JR has shown a couple times that he WANTS to draft a QB, groom him behind Eli. Either to grow a backup in-house, or flip for better picks down the road (IE: Kolb). 3) Could be drafting our future OC. Because of his physical limitations, he probably understands the game better than anyone in the draft, including Andrew Luck. He HAS to. The comment was made during the combine: If Moore doesn't make it as a QB, he very well could get into coaching. Why not grow our own (now THAT's continuity)

(Note: if Martin isn't available in the 2nd, I'd go with Kevin Zietler (G-Wisconsin) in the 2nd, and Robert Turbin in the 4th (Dough Martin clone... little less shifty, but dude's got GUNS! and from what I've heard a big chip on his shoulder. Two things we want)

Okay, feel free to mock my mock

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

Walts Partner Charlie Campbell added a RD 5 to his Mock, mainly because the Skins/Rams trade, and this is how hes got our Giants going.. I don't love it, but there is a couple picks i'm happy about, mainly Broyles in RD 4 and Cole in RD 3...

3. Audie Cole LB Nc State- Hes a player i think Giants will surely Covet

4. Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma- A steal here in RD 4, and will kill mario's production if healthy...

5. Evan Rodriguez TE Temple- I like em, but dont' see the big upgrade over Bear Pascoe...

[/quote]Dont like this Mock at all. I like Rodriguez but he isnt an in line TE at all. He could replace Beckum as the Motion TE/HB. I keep seeing him mocked to the Giants and why I do like him I cant see the TE problem being solved by a 6'1" TE. Broyles is another player I like but he is an inside receiver.With Cruz and Jernigan on the team I would like to see them draft an outside receiver.Coming off an ACL u just dont know what he is going to look like.If its anything like Steve Smith did this year no way I would draft him in the 4th Round.If the Giants doctors clear him then he could be a steal though.Jeff Allen not bad option but I dont like him there. David Wilson real nice RB but I think its a reach. Audie Cole I like him but I could see him sliding on draft day .He isnt very flexible and it will turn off many NFL teams but for the Giants he could fit as a SOLB.[/quote] See, i actually think broyles can play outside and inside, just like Victor Cruz.. There both pretty versatile in that way... Cruz and broyles really adjust to the ball in the air well, which u see when there outside on deep throws sometimes.. I think there both so wirey and have really good hands, which makes em good slot guys, but don't think they can't get deep, because they both can..

As for Audie Cole, hes the type of LB i think would excel with the giants, coming up big against the run, and making timely big plays.. I love players that play the way Cole does.. He goes 100pct, and i all most feel like Chase Blackburn is a poor mans Audie Cole... I'd have no problem taking Cole in RD 3.. I actually think he'll go in RD 3, or very early RD 4, because of his smarts, savy, run defense, and on field production.. Hes the type of guy who just gets it, and just gets it done...

Now I feel the exact way about Allen and Rodriguez as u do.. I think there both solid, but nothing to right home about, and i really don't see Rodriguez being the answer at TE eitehr.. I feel we got Pascoe, who is probably around abouts where i think Rodriguez will be as a player, possibly a little better.. Allen is solid, and i know hes a riser, but theres plenty of guys out there, i think could play just as well in mid-later rds..

Walts Partner Charlie Campbell added a RD 5 to his Mock, mainly because the Skins/Rams trade, and this is how hes got our Giants going.. I don't love it, but there is a couple picks i'm happy about, mainly Broyles in RD 4 and Cole in RD 3...

4. Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma- A steal here in RD 4, and will kill mario's production if healthy...

[/quote]

Personally, I think this mock isnt bad. What I do like, and agree with is the idea that Oline and RB are currently our 2 biggest needs.

Since AB's ankle problems are ongoing, and BJ is no longer a Giant(assuming it stays this way) then I believe RB is a primary need again.

I also agree that Tackle is a big need. Even if Brewer works out at RT, we still need depth at the position.

[/quote]

Thats kind of a problem right now tho, we have not resigned or even tendered Pascoe(that I have read anyways) so at this point all we really have is the guy we signed from the colts, Jacob Tamme, who isnt an end line TE, and Ballard/Beckum both likely wont be available early in the season if at all.

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[/quote]

Personally, I think this mock isnt bad. What I do like, and agree with is the idea that Oline and RB are currently our 2 biggest needs.

Since AB's ankle problems are ongoing, and BJ is no longer a Giant(assuming it stays this way) then I believe RB is a primary need again.

I also agree that Tackle is a big need. Even if Brewer works out at RT, we still need depth at the position.

[/quote] Ya, i mean there is certainly things to like about the draft, just a couple guys i don't feel have the talent for the RD there going in.. Specifically Jeff Allen... I'm not to high on David Wilson, as i get real frustrated with those 10yrd loss runs , trying to make something outta nothing, in between the big gainer... But ya, Charlie has a idea of what the giants need, positon wise, and who knows, could be right on with the plaeyrs, just not all guys i'm super fond of... Again, i really like Cole and Broyles..

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Ya, i mean there is certainly things to like about the draft, just a couple guys i don't feel have the talent for the RD there going in.. Specifically Jeff Allen... I'm not to high on David Wilson, as i get real frustrated with those 10yrd loss runs , trying to make something outta nothing, in between the big gainer... But ya, Charlie has a idea of what the giants need, positon wise, and who knows, could be right on with the plaeyrs, just not all guys i'm super fond of... Again, i really like Cole and Broyles..[/quote]

I def agree his losses were a problem. But, I think that is not all his fault. If you watch VT play, they run a LOT of sweeps and outside runs. Far more than either Miller or Martin did. Outside runs always run the risk of loss moreso than inside runs. Imho, he was the 2nd best back in college football this year behind TR. Every team VT played game planned to stop Wilson above all else. Yet somehow, he still was a big producer.

A player not talked about much that i think the Giants will covet for Comp to Goff and Depth is Mychal Kendricks ILB Cal... A think thumper, who can blitz, and has alot of power to his game, and explosion... I like Wagner more, but have a feeling the Saints will take Wagner in the 2nd rd. Kendricks is a guy i'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Giants show interest in...

Since people here in the Draft section seem to understand football a bit better than in the TAGF section, I'll ask my James Brewer question here.

Is it possible that we saw very little of Brewer because they are in the process of molding him into a LT? I just find it hard to believe that after the season McKenzie had that Brewer couldn't dethrone him from the RT position. It's also usually a long process to transition from the side you are used to so I think it's a realistic possibility. If so, do you think that it would put a larger need at the RT position and put us into play for someone like Bobby Massie?

Let me know what you think whether it's a legitimate theory or if I'm trying to convince myself Brewer is better than he really is.

+ Reply to Thread