+ Reply to Thread
Page 395 of 562 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397405445495 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,950 of 5613

Thread: A look at the12'-13' NFL draft

Doug Martin with a 24carry 95yrd 4catch 23yrd first game to his NFL career.. Thats what i mean when i was saying a guy who can shoulder a full load with that body type very similar to Ray Rice and MJD.. His bodys built to take punishment and he has no weakness to his game what so ever.. Not that he was great YPC wise, but overall he really played well and has easily solitifyed his self as the guy in TB, right away.. Big diffrence between David Wilsons debut and Doug Martins.. Super early still of coure..

Some of the worst play calling i've ever seen in Seattle game.. They got first and goal from the 4 and they have Russell wilson under center and doing qucik 2step drop and throw fades.. Extremely hard to complete and not exactly what Russell WIlsons fortay is.. All u had to do was a playaction bootleg and get Russell Wilson rolling out and either a TE or FB possibly would be wideopen and gives u a chacne to let WIlson use his feet.. Its a play u just must try in that situation.. If not at least get Wilson in the shotgun and let him have as much time as possible.. Hes the type of player u want to draw a play out as hes got great poise and improvatzation skills.. Just having quick 2step drop launch a fade to corner of the endzone with man coverege is 50/50 chance.. Both plays were extemely hard to execute...

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Doug Martin with a 24carry 95yrd 4catch 23yrd first game to his NFL career.. Thats what i mean when i was saying a guy who can shoulder a full load with that body type very similar to Ray Rice and MJD.. His bodys built to take punishment and he has no weakness to his game what so ever.. Not that he was great YPC wise, but overall he really played well and has easily solitifyed his self as the guy in TB, right away.. Big diffrence between David Wilsons debut and Doug Martins.. Super early still of coure..
    He kinda did what was expected of him, but he also didnt do a lot more either. I do think Tampa is much improved this year over last but that largely because of their defense, which was outstanding today.

Martin was always expected to be the better back out of the gates, as he is more nfl ready but then again he is 2+ years older than Wilson.

I know scouts and stuff like to compare his "body type" to the guys you mentioned, but that is VERY misleading too. In fact, if you compare the height/weights of MJD and Ray Rice coming out of college, they are much closer to Wilson than Martin.

Just comparing apples to apples here are each players height/wieght/age at the time they were drafted:

Ray Rice was 5'8 195lbs at the combine(21 yrs old)
    MJD was 5'7 206(21 years old)
    David Wilson 5'9 206(20 years old)
    Doug Martin 5'9 223(23 years old)

As you can see, David Wilson is a full 2+ years younger than Doug Martin. In 2010( when Doug was the same age David Wilson is right now) he was listed at 5'9 201 lbs.

So in reality if you compare each player at the same point of development, they are all remarkably similar. Martin just came out at an older age than any of the other guys. That is a good thing for his short term sucess, but might not be such a good thing at the end of his rookie contract when he finds more wear on his treads because he was a feature back and he will be 27/28 years old, which is kind of up there for a RB in the NFL.

I still think Wilson is a better long term prospect.

Also lets face it, the Bucs went with him as their starter out of necessity. Blount reportedly has a caloric intake problem, questionable work ethic and an affinity for the ice tub. The Giants have the luxury of a proven character guy in Bradshaw to lead DW and help him develope. So nobody expects DW to get the carries Martin will in this 1st season.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 09-09-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    He kinda did what was expected of him, but he also didnt do a lot more either. I do think Tampa is much improved this year over last but that largely because of their defense, which was outstanding today.

Martin was always expected to be the better back out of the gates, as he is more nfl ready but then again he is 2+ years older than Wilson.

I know scouts and stuff like to compare his "body type" to the guys you mentioned, but that is VERY misleading too. In fact, if you compare the height/weights of MJD and Ray Rice coming out of college, they are much closer to Wilson than Martin.

Just comparing apples to apples here are each players height/wieght/age at the time they were drafted:

Ray Rice was 5'8 195lbs at the combine(21 yrs old)
    MJD was 5'7 206(21 years old)
    David Wilson 5'9 206(20 years old)
    Doug Martin 5'9 223(23 years old)

As you can see, David Wilson is a full 2+ years younger than Doug Martin. In 2010( when Doug was the same age David Wilson is right now) he was listed at 5'9 201 lbs.

So in reality if you compare each player at the same point of development, they are all remarkably similar. Martin just came out at an older age than any of the other guys. That is a good thing for his short term sucess, but might not be such a good thing at the end of his rookie contract when he finds more wear on his treads because he was a feature back and he will be 27/28 years old, which is kind of up there for a RB in the NFL.

I still think Wilson is a better long term prospect.

Also lets face it, the Bucs went with him as their starter out of necessity. Blount reportedly has a caloric intake problem, questionable work ethic and an affinity for the ice tub. The Giants have the luxury of a proven character guy in Bradshaw to lead DW and help him develope. So nobody expects DW to get the carries Martin will in this 1st season.
    20lbs at that size is quite a diffrence.. And R.Rice and MJD are certainly more similar to Martin then Wilson, and i don't think that would be to much in disagrement, no matter who u speak to.. Doug Martin is a carry the load RB in the mold of MJD and Rice,a nd i don't think Wilson is that guy.. I think wilson will always need or have a guy(probably a bigger guy) that gets a decent chunk of carries..

Doug Martins a closer and grinder as well.. The dude put Carolina away with a 55yrd 3catch 2nd half... It was a close game, and when the bucs defense started to buckle some, Martin was the one they called upon, and he completely answered the bell, in only his 1st start of his NFL career.. I feel shoulder the load backs that have pretty much no weaknesses are the only kinda backs to be taken in RD 1... Wilson is gonna be a good back, but i don't know if hes gonna be a 1st rd type back.. We shall see, but this very early part of the NFL season, Doug Martin has played pretty much exactly how i expected.. He smoked through the bucs depth chart(he certainly did have to beat out Blount, who started 1st pre season game), and litteraly lead the bucs offense to a WIN today.. If they didn't have Doug Martin today, they simply don't win..

Martin had nearly half of TB's total yards today.. not bad for a Rookies first start of his career..

also lets not forget, Martin plays in a offense that defenses can focus alot more of the run then u can against the giants.. Vince Jackson and Mike Williams are solid, and Josh Freeman is OK, but there no Cruz, Nicks, and Eli, thats for sure.. Martin Gained 55of his 95 yrds after contact today, and 58pct after contact last yr at Boise.. Thats the type of dude that wears down a defense right there.. Josh Freeman was crap in the 2nd half, and Carolina was bound to catch up to em if not for Doug Martin..

By the way, We got a David Wilson VS Doug Martin battle this week!!!lol Pretty Ironic, ey Santa man??? The giants should be better against the run this week, so Martin could be a tad more unproductive(hopefully much more unproductive)..lol

Does Anyone know if Whitney Mercilus is injured? I didn't see him play or in the boxscore..

20lbs at that size is quite a diffrence.. And R.Rice and MJD are certainly more similar to Martin then Wilson, and i don't think that would be to much in disagrement, no matter who u speak to.
    I do not deny 20lbs is a difference. But you cannot ignore the 2.5 years he has in age over wilson which allowed him to add those pounds. Again, in 2010 when Martin was the same age as Wilson, he was SMALLER than Wilson is now.

Wilson is exactly in line with MJ and Ray Rice's size when they came out. You just cannot argue facts.

By the way, We got a David Wilson VS Doug Martin battle this week!!!lol Pretty Ironic, ey Santa man??? The giants should be better against the run this week, so Martin could be a tad more unproductive(hopefully much more unproductive)..lol
    I think people are going to be surprised how good the Bucs are, particularly on defense. They have young talent all over that roster. They just have a crap QB

Does Anyone know if Whitney Mercilus is injured? I didn't see him play or in the boxscore..
    From what I heard from Texans fans he ditn play well. He didnt cause much pressure either. He is also was lining up across from Jake Long which is not an easy task for a rookie playing his first game

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    From what I heard from Texans fans he ditn play well. He didnt cause much pressure either. He is also was lining up across from Jake Long which is not an easy task for a rookie playing his first game
    Well that and hes not starting as hes behind Connor Barwin as well.. Where can u find how many Snaps a player was on the field for? Mercilus was pretty stout in Preseason...

+ Reply to Thread