+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 562 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Re: A look at the 2011 NFL draft

[quote user="Neverend"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Neverend"]

Akeem ayers looks nearly perfect. he can rush the passer in so many different ways, very versatile,his technique at shedding blocks is impressive (which is rare nowadays), doesn't miss tackles, gets good depth in zone coverage, and he has shown some playmaking ability with INTs and sacks.

But IMO Ayers looks a little tentative & conservative out there in some situations, he doesn't seem very aggressive. He reads & reacts slowly. He doesn't have much instincts from what I've seen.He rarelysniffs out and diagnose plays before they developand make any instinctual plays compared to other LBs like travis lewis, foster, herzlich, etc. Tho, I could be wrong here. Maybe its the scheme and coaches limiting him to let his instincts take over, I don't know. If he can improve in that area, he is pretty much a nearflawless LB (although his motor and coverage skills aren't flawless, but they're good)

In the end, I'm not completely convinced the giants will take ayers. ayers doesn't have a lot of upside as far as athleticism goes. He's a good technician and pretty much a'what you see is what you get' prospect. the giants love to draft players with high upside &potential and try to develop them from there.

[/quote] His instincts are what stands out about him... He makes plays! Go look back at his INTS, there is incredible instincts... He had a INT for a TD against Temple last yr, where he was asked to rush, he then slipped fell down, got up right as the QB was gonna pass the ball in the flats, he then jumped up and instead of just batting down the ball, caught it, and ran the few yrds for a td, showing awesome athletiscim and instincts and skill.. He also had a ridiculous play eerily similar against i think ARZ ST or ORG ST(can't remember), where he jumped up and instead of batting the ball down, he simply caught it somehow in the endzone and got both feet down in the back of the endzone(don't ask me how?) for a TD.. A Ridiculous feet of athletic ability and skill... He makes plays against the run and against the pass and behind the line... He is good at not over pursueing plays, and plays the game with a level head.. His instincts are what stick out to me..
    [/quote]

Excuse me, i meant his instincts against the run. i know he's a playmaker against the pass with a lot of picks as he has a tremendous nose for the football but its his play against the run that i feel has a lot to be desired. he doesn't over pursue but i think that has something to do with him being very conservative. he doesn't attack blockers and stuff gaps. he playsa little tooconservative. its just a small flaw i notice with ayers. i would like him to diagnose plays faster against the run and trust his instincts instead of reading & reacting tentatively and slowly. For example, I rememeber watching a misdirection that could have potentially been a 5 yard loss in the backfield but turned out to be a nice positive gain because it took too long for ayers to diagnose the play. he wasn't out of position and he didn't over puruse because if he didn't that play could've gone for 20+ yds, but he also wasn't aggressive enough which caused a negative/no gain play into a positive play. it could go both ways i guess but i think ayers needs to improve in this area a little bit. im honestly just nit picking here lol

but definitely a stud in all other areas. great instincts and nose for the ball against the pass, good blitzer (thats how he gets most of his TFL's anyway), and pretty solid at everything else. I saw that crazy play against oregon. im not sayin ayers has no atlheticism, im saying the giants may draft a LB that may not be as polished as ayers, but may have more upside and potential and may develop him into a starter compared to ayers who is a what you see is what you get guy. not a guy who is going to improve and become a better player than he was in college because he is already polished and developed.however, ayers is going to bea damn good 'what you see is what you get' player

[/quote]The 2 games where I watched a significant amount of snaps they got completely shellacked so I dont know how much of a fair representation of Ayers I saw. I saw tentativeness in videos from 2009 but the small sample size I saw I didnt see it. I watched enough to know UCLA completely sucks though

[quote user="Neverend"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Neverend"]

Akeem ayers looks nearly perfect. he can rush the passer in so many different ways, very versatile,his technique at shedding blocks is impressive (which is rare nowadays), doesn't miss tackles, gets good depth in zone coverage, and he has shown some playmaking ability with INTs and sacks.

But IMO Ayers looks a little tentative & conservative out there in some situations, he doesn't seem very aggressive. He reads & reacts slowly. He doesn't have much instincts from what I've seen.He rarelysniffs out and diagnose plays before they developand make any instinctual plays compared to other LBs like travis lewis, foster, herzlich, etc. Tho, I could be wrong here. Maybe its the scheme and coaches limiting him to let his instincts take over, I don't know. If he can improve in that area, he is pretty much a nearflawless LB (although his motor and coverage skills aren't flawless, but they're good)

In the end, I'm not completely convinced the giants will take ayers. ayers doesn't have a lot of upside as far as athleticism goes. He's a good technician and pretty much a'what you see is what you get' prospect. the giants love to draft players with high upside &potential and try to develop them from there.

[/quote] His instincts are what stands out about him... He makes plays! Go look back at his INTS, there is incredible instincts... He had a INT for a TD against Temple last yr, where he was asked to rush, he then slipped fell down, got up right as the QB was gonna pass the ball in the flats, he then jumped up and instead of just batting down the ball, caught it, and ran the few yrds for a td, showing awesome athletiscim and instincts and skill.. He also had a ridiculous play eerily similar against i think ARZ ST or ORG ST(can't remember), where he jumped up and instead of batting the ball down, he simply caught it somehow in the endzone and got both feet down in the back of the endzone(don't ask me how?) for a TD.. A Ridiculous feet of athletic ability and skill... He makes plays against the run and against the pass and behind the line... He is good at not over pursueing plays, and plays the game with a level head.. His instincts are what stick out to me..
    [/quote]

Excuse me, i meant his instincts against the run. i know he's a playmaker against the pass with a lot of picks as he has a tremendous nose for the football but its his play against the run that i feel has a lot to be desired. he doesn't over pursue but i think that has something to do with him being very conservative. he doesn't attack blockers and stuff gaps. he playsa little tooconservative. its just a small flaw i notice with ayers. i would like him to diagnose plays faster against the run and trust his instincts instead of reading & reacting tentatively and slowly. For example, I rememeber watching a misdirection that could have potentially been a 5 yard loss in the backfield but turned out to be a nice positive gain because it took too long for ayers to diagnose the play. he wasn't out of positionnor didhe over puruse because if he did that play could've gone for 20+ yds, but he also wasn't aggressive enough which caused a negative/no gain play into a positive play. it could go both ways i guess but i think ayers needs to improve in this area a little bit. im honestly just nit picking here lol

but definitely a stud in all other areas. great instincts and nose for the ball against the pass, good blitzer (thats how he gets most of his TFL's anyway), and pretty solid at everything else. I saw that crazy play against oregon. im not sayin ayers has no atlheticism, im saying the giants may draft a LB that may not be as polished as ayers, but may have more upside and potential and may develop him into a starter compared to ayers who is a what you see is what you get guy. not a guy who is going to improve and become a better player than he was in college because he is already polished and developed.however, ayers is going to bea damn good 'what you see is what you get' player

[/quote] yes, i actually do agree with you, that on occasion, it seems Ayers could be alittle less tenative against the run... One thing i disagree about is the fact we know what Ayers will be as a pro.. I never did believe in that, as a player only 20-21 yrs old, can't get better with a whole new crop of coaches teaching him... I mean, u see players have surprise careers and what not all the time, or do better then expected.. I think u gotta draft a guy who first and foremost was productive in college(i hate drafting guys who weren't, ala sinorice moss), and have at least a NFL body and intangiables, and hope u hit...

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]but u seen him drop back and make nfl type throws often.. Sure, maybe he wont be running totally like a cheetah and what not, but its just a added weapon to his rocket arm... The one thing about cam is hes got the extra speed in case your oline breaks down, where he can make a play with his feet and his ht to go along with that speed is a weapon to see over defenses while on the move or in the pocket.. Having his speed with his size and ht is a huge weapon.. Nothing is guranteed, but my god, hes got enough to take a chance on and hope u are right..

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]but u seen him drop back and make nfl type throws often.. Sure, maybe he wont be running totally like a cheetah and what not, but its just a added weapon to his rocket arm... The one thing about cam is hes got the extra speed in case your oline breaks down, where he can make a play with his feet and his ht to go along with that speed is a weapon to see over defenses while on the move or in the pocket.. Having his speed with his size and ht is a huge weapon.. Nothing is guranteed, but my god, hes got enough to take a chance on and hope u are right..
    [/quote]
    considering that nfl rookie's salaries will be slotted after this year i think we are going to see A LOT of earlies declare. He'll even if luck does declare i think there is a chance of cam going ahead of him. I wouldnt do it personally but somebody is gonna fall in love with this guy and who can blame them.

draft countdowns new mock has him going 18 to miami after mallet AND locker. i just cant see that happening unless he has a bad pre draft run.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]but u seen him drop back and make nfl type throws often.. Sure, maybe he wont be running totally like a cheetah and what not, but its just a added weapon to his rocket arm... The one thing about cam is hes got the extra speed in case your oline breaks down, where he can make a play with his feet and his ht to go along with that speed is a weapon to see over defenses while on the move or in the pocket.. Having his speed with his size and ht is a huge weapon.. Nothing is guranteed, but my god, hes got enough to take a chance on and hope u are right..
    [/quote]Oh yeah he can make all the throws and is a horse to bring down. I think best sceniro he may end up being like an early years Steve Mcnair

[quote user="thegreatone"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]but u seen him drop back and make nfl type throws often.. Sure, maybe he wont be running totally like a cheetah and what not, but its just a added weapon to his rocket arm... The one thing about cam is hes got the extra speed in case your oline breaks down, where he can make a play with his feet and his ht to go along with that speed is a weapon to see over defenses while on the move or in the pocket.. Having his speed with his size and ht is a huge weapon.. Nothing is guranteed, but my god, hes got enough to take a chance on and hope u are right..
    [/quote]
    considering that nfl rookie's salaries will be slotted after this year i think we are going to see A LOT of earlies declare. He'll even if luck does declare i think there is a chance of cam going ahead of him. I wouldnt do it personally but somebody is gonna fall in love with this guy and who can blame them.
    [/quote] I just hope the Cowboys don't end up with newton.. I don't feel like dealing with that headache 2times a yr.. I'm so glad that the draft will finally be slotted in the near future... Its about time!

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="thegreatone"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]but u seen him drop back and make nfl type throws often.. Sure, maybe he wont be running totally like a cheetah and what not, but its just a added weapon to his rocket arm... The one thing about cam is hes got the extra speed in case your oline breaks down, where he can make a play with his feet and his ht to go along with that speed is a weapon to see over defenses while on the move or in the pocket.. Having his speed with his size and ht is a huge weapon.. Nothing is guranteed, but my god, hes got enough to take a chance on and hope u are right..
    [/quote]
    [/quote] I just hope the Cowboys don't end up with newton.. I don't feel like dealing with that headache 2times a yr.. I'm so glad that the draft will finally be slotted in the near future... Its about time!
    [/quote]seriously doubt it with romo's huge contract. bad thing is they are gonna get somone excellent on defense unless they reach for an olineman.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="thegreatone"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]but u seen him drop back and make nfl type throws often.. Sure, maybe he wont be running totally like a cheetah and what not, but its just a added weapon to his rocket arm... The one thing about cam is hes got the extra speed in case your oline breaks down, where he can make a play with his feet and his ht to go along with that speed is a weapon to see over defenses while on the move or in the pocket.. Having his speed with his size and ht is a huge weapon.. Nothing is guranteed, but my god, hes got enough to take a chance on and hope u are right..
    [/quote]
    [/quote].Look at the time he gets to make these throws.Look at the throwing lanes he has.Watch how open his WR's get.There open by 5 yards 50% of the time.In the NFL a lot of pass plays are rhythm pass plays,small windows, proper timing, Auburns offense doesnt have these plays.Can Cam Newton take a snap under center do a 3 step drop and hit a receiver on a in route in stride. Can he throw a back shoulder throw on the sideline on 3rd and 8. Im not saying he can't and the physical abilities are fantastic but I just dont know because he doesnt do it. The offense Auburn runs is like the exact opposite of an NFL offense. For his sake I hope he goes to a QB friendly system. I think he would be completely lost under Gilbrides system at least initially

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="thegreatone"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]but u seen him drop back and make nfl type throws often.. Sure, maybe he wont be running totally like a cheetah and what not, but its just a added weapon to his rocket arm... The one thing about cam is hes got the extra speed in case your oline breaks down, where he can make a play with his feet and his ht to go along with that speed is a weapon to see over defenses while on the move or in the pocket.. Having his speed with his size and ht is a huge weapon.. Nothing is guranteed, but my god, hes got enough to take a chance on and hope u are right..
    [/quote]
    [/quote].Look at the time he gets to make these throws.Look at the throwing lanes he has.Watch how open his WR's get.There open by 5 yards 50% of the time.In the NFL a lot of pass plays are rhythm pass plays,small windows, proper timing, Auburns offense doesnt have these plays.Can Cam Newton take a snap under center do a 3 step drop and hit a receiver on a in route in stride. Can he throw a back shoulder throw on the sideline on 3rd and 8. Im not saying he can't and the physical abilities are fantastic but I just dont know because he doesnt do it. The offense Auburn runs is like the exact opposite of an NFL offense. For his sake I hope he goes to a QB friendly system. I think he would be completely lost under Gilbrides system at least initially[/quote]ya, but watching Newton all yr long, i seen some throws under pressure and i seen him pump fake getting his wr open by a step and float the ball inches over the defender and into emory blakes hands for a td, probably one of the better throws i've seen all yr long... I mean, most big plays, WR's are at least open, hence the completion to begin with... Not to mention, hes got those legs when people are covered to make yards, ala what u see with mike vick this yr... The team hes on is supre good, but think about it, its because of him that auburn is this good.. Think about Auburn last yr, there not anything remotley close to this good... I mean, lets also not forget hes doing this against S.E.C foe's... I'm completley sold on Newton, hes passed every test in my opinion.... Going against Players such as Justin Houston, Dre Kirkpatrick, jerrell powe, brandon boykin, pernell McPhee, KJ Wright, Marcel Dareus, Mark Barron, Daquan Bowers, Deandre McDaniel, Marcus Gilchrist, Drake Nevis, Kelvin SHeppard, patrick peterson....etc...etc

I mean, this guys passed all tests! I have a feeling alot of those players i mentioned are gonna be playing on sundays and i'm sure they all will say the same thing about Newton, that hes for real...