+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 562 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Re: A look at the 2011 NFL draft

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="thegreatone"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]but u seen him drop back and make nfl type throws often.. Sure, maybe he wont be running totally like a cheetah and what not, but its just a added weapon to his rocket arm... The one thing about cam is hes got the extra speed in case your oline breaks down, where he can make a play with his feet and his ht to go along with that speed is a weapon to see over defenses while on the move or in the pocket.. Having his speed with his size and ht is a huge weapon.. Nothing is guranteed, but my god, hes got enough to take a chance on and hope u are right..
    [/quote]
    considering that nfl rookie's salaries will be slotted after this year i think we are going to see A LOT of earlies declare. He'll even if luck does declare i think there is a chance of cam going ahead of him. I wouldnt do it personally but somebody is gonna fall in love with this guy and who can blame them.
    [/quote] I just hope the Cowboys don't end up with newton.. I don't feel like dealing with that headache 2times a yr.. I'm so glad that the draft will finally be slotted in the near future... Its about time!
    [/quote].Look at the time he gets to make these throws.Look at the throwing lanes he has.Watch how open his WR's get.There open by 5 yards 50% of the time.In the NFL a lot of pass plays are rhythm pass plays,small windows, proper timing, Auburns offense doesnt have these plays.Can Cam Newton take a snap under center do a 3 step drop and hit a receiver on a in route in stride. Can he throw a back shoulder throw on the sideline on 3rd and 8. Im not saying he can't and the physical abilities are fantastic but I just dont know because he doesnt do it. The offense Auburn runs is like the exact opposite of an NFL offense. For his sake I hope he goes to a QB friendly system. I think he would be completely lost under Gilbrides system at least initially[/quote]ya, but watching Newton all yr long, i seen some throws under pressure and i seen him pump fake getting his wr open by a step and float the ball inches over the defender and into emory blakes hands for a td, probably one of the better throws i've seen all yr long... I mean, most big plays, WR's are at least open, hence the completion to begin with... Not to mention, hes got those legs when people are covered to make yards, ala what u see with mike vick this yr... The team hes on is supre good, but think about it, its because of him that auburn is this good.. Think about Auburn last yr, there not anything remotley close to this good... I mean, lets also not forget hes doing this against S.E.C foe's... I'm completley sold on Newton, hes passed every test in my opinion.... Going against Players such as Justin Houston, Dre Kirkpatrick, jerrell powe, brandon boykin, pernell McPhee, KJ Wright, Marcel Dareus, Mark Barron, Daquan Bowers, Deandre McDaniel, Marcus Gilchrist, Drake Nevis, Kelvin SHeppard, patrick peterson....etc...etc

I mean, this guys passed all tests! I have a feeling alot of those players i mentioned are gonna be playing on sundays and i'm sure they all will say the same thing about Newton, that hes for real...
    [/quote] Yeah I like Newtonand the physical stuff is there buthe in my mind has a ton of questions . He is really going to have to learn how to play QB at the next level. This offense that he is in gives him no help in what he will see in the NFL. It has basically zero NFL reads and very little NFL passing routes and throws. How many times does Newton actually go quickly through his progressions. How many times does Newton get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds. To me ifhis first read isnt open I run or I stand back there for 6 seconds until the guy finally gets open.These type of plays that U see him make down the fieldwith these 5 yard throwing lanes and time will in no way happen in the NFL. It might sound like Imragging onhim but im not.He is doing the right thing and thats there offense so be it.It is quite possible that Cam can do all these things and just hasnt got the opportunity to do so. I just think there is a huge difference in playing QB in Auburns system to the NFL. Its about as gimmicky as there is in CFB. It in no way prepares a QB to play in the NFL.

What about Illinois Middle linebacker Martez Wilson as a SOLB in a 4-3. The guy is pretty quick runs a sub 4.6 at 6-4 245. Probably more cut out for a 3-4 but he isnt stiff in the hips like a lot of those guys that size are. Not sure if he would come out but he is a junior

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="thegreatone"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]but u seen him drop back and make nfl type throws often.. Sure, maybe he wont be running totally like a cheetah and what not, but its just a added weapon to his rocket arm... The one thing about cam is hes got the extra speed in case your oline breaks down, where he can make a play with his feet and his ht to go along with that speed is a weapon to see over defenses while on the move or in the pocket.. Having his speed with his size and ht is a huge weapon.. Nothing is guranteed, but my god, hes got enough to take a chance on and hope u are right..
    [/quote]
    considering that nfl rookie's salaries will be slotted after this year i think we are going to see A LOT of earlies declare. He'll even if luck does declare i think there is a chance of cam going ahead of him. I wouldnt do it personally but somebody is gonna fall in love with this guy and who can blame them.
    [/quote] I just hope the Cowboys don't end up with newton.. I don't feel like dealing with that headache 2times a yr.. I'm so glad that the draft will finally be slotted in the near future... Its about time!
    [/quote].Look at the time he gets to make these throws.Look at the throwing lanes he has.Watch how open his WR's get.There open by 5 yards 50% of the time.In the NFL a lot of pass plays are rhythm pass plays,small windows, proper timing, Auburns offense doesnt have these plays.Can Cam Newton take a snap under center do a 3 step drop and hit a receiver on a in route in stride. Can he throw a back shoulder throw on the sideline on 3rd and 8. Im not saying he can't and the physical abilities are fantastic but I just dont know because he doesnt do it. The offense Auburn runs is like the exact opposite of an NFL offense. For his sake I hope he goes to a QB friendly system. I think he would be completely lost under Gilbrides system at least initially[/quote]ya, but watching Newton all yr long, i seen some throws under pressure and i seen him pump fake getting his wr open by a step and float the ball inches over the defender and into emory blakes hands for a td, probably one of the better throws i've seen all yr long... I mean, most big plays, WR's are at least open, hence the completion to begin with... Not to mention, hes got those legs when people are covered to make yards, ala what u see with mike vick this yr... The team hes on is supre good, but think about it, its because of him that auburn is this good.. Think about Auburn last yr, there not anything remotley close to this good... I mean, lets also not forget hes doing this against S.E.C foe's... I'm completley sold on Newton, hes passed every test in my opinion.... Going against Players such as Justin Houston, Dre Kirkpatrick, jerrell powe, brandon boykin, pernell McPhee, KJ Wright, Marcel Dareus, Mark Barron, Daquan Bowers, Deandre McDaniel, Marcus Gilchrist, Drake Nevis, Kelvin SHeppard, patrick peterson....etc...etc

I mean, this guys passed all tests! I have a feeling alot of those players i mentioned are gonna be playing on sundays and i'm sure they all will say the same thing about Newton, that hes for real...
    [/quote] Yeah I like Newtonand the physical stuff is there buthe in my mind has a ton of questions . He is really going to have to learn how to play QB at the next level. This offense that he is in gives him no help in what he will see in the NFL. It has basically zero NFL reads and very little NFL passing routes and throws. How many times does Newton actually go quickly through his progressions. How many times does Newton get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds. To me ifhis first read isnt open I run or I stand back there for 6 seconds until the guy finally gets open.These type of plays that U see him make down the fieldwith these 5 yard throwing lanes and time will in no way happen in the NFL. It might sound like Imragging onhim but im not.He is doing the right thing and thats there offense so be it.It is quite possible that Cam can do all these things and just hasnt got the opportunity to do so. I just think there is a huge difference in playing QB in Auburns system to the NFL. Its about as gimmicky as there is in CFB. It in no way prepares a QB to play in the NFL.[/quote] sure, theres questions, no doubt.. But, who dosen't have questions? I mean, Stanford plays in a wideopen attack, and for all we know, Luck can be the next Trent Edwards, and Arkansas has a crazy offense, of coures theres questions.. I don't think u have seen alot of the throws cams made that are totally fit into the tiniest of spaces, like the TD pass against Ole miss where someone he fit it in the back right(i mean, 1inch back right!) of the endzone to i believe Darvin Adams who was draped and somehow cam put it exactly where only adams could catch it and get 2ft in.. Also, the Td pass against Kentucky where he was scrambling right with a Defender just getting to him he let it go for a perfect bomb pass into the endzone for a TD, while the defender had pretty good coverege... Then the TD pass to emory blake last wk comes to mind as well, as he was covered by 2guys, and he flotaed it over both of em just barley and blake barley had to adjust as it was so perfect of a throw, with pressure just breaking through the line...

Again, theres Questions, of course, but hes made and done enough of everything to take a chance on him.. Hes always gonna have the size and arm strength and wheels, and shown hes very accurate when given time, which alot of QB's have shown there not always accurate on deep throws even when given time, and hes made enough plays throwing on the run and with some pressure and fitting it in tight windows to at least think he can do it consistently, with some more coaching and expierence... I'm with u on questions, but i've seen him do just about everything and make every throw and we shall see if it translates to a more basic offense if thats the way it works out...

Sure Luck could be a bust.

But frankly, hes the best QB prospect to come around in a very very long time. He is the best NFL prospect to come around in a long time, more highly rated than Suh, Calvin Johnson, etc.

[quote user="slipknottin"]Sure Luck could be a bust.

But frankly, hes the best QB prospect to come around in a very very long time. He is the best NFL prospect to come around in a long time, more highly rated than Suh, Calvin Johnson, etc.[/quote] totally diffrent positon then johnson and suh, so i dont buy that for a second.. If Suh ends up being the best DT in the league for yrs to come and Calvin keeps doing what hes doing, then how can he be a better prospect then them? Those 2 are doing exactly what they were drafted to do and if they keep playing stellar ball, its kinda hard to say there not exactly the top prospects they were supposed to be, theres no way at all to compare...

[quote user="nycsportzfan"] totally diffrent positon then johnson and suh, so i dont buy that for a second.. [/quote]

As I said, Luck is the best NFL prospect, not the best QB prospect, to come out in years.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="thegreatone"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="heavyhitter"]I actually think if Luck doesn't declare, Newton has got a good chance at being the first QB selected over Ryan Mallett. [/quote] Possibly, I dont really expect both Mallett and Newton to declare though. But you never know. I do think Newton has a legitimate shot to go in the top 10. Especially after nonsense like Tebow going in the first.[/quote]I believe u were watching the Auburn-Alabama game. That first half that had him completly rattled. While I like Newtons physical skills the offense that Auburn runs is nothing like like a pro style offense.[/quote]but u seen him drop back and make nfl type throws often.. Sure, maybe he wont be running totally like a cheetah and what not, but its just a added weapon to his rocket arm... The one thing about cam is hes got the extra speed in case your oline breaks down, where he can make a play with his feet and his ht to go along with that speed is a weapon to see over defenses while on the move or in the pocket.. Having his speed with his size and ht is a huge weapon.. Nothing is guranteed, but my god, hes got enough to take a chance on and hope u are right..
    [/quote]

[/quote] Yeah I like Newtonand the physical stuff is there buthe in my mind has a ton of questions . He is really going to have to learn how to play QB at the next level. This offense that he is in gives him no help in what he will see in the NFL. It has basically zero NFL reads and very little NFL passing routes and throws. How many times does Newton actually go quickly through his progressions. How many times does Newton get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds. To me ifhis first read isnt open I run or I stand back there for 6 seconds until the guy finally gets open.These type of plays that U see him make down the fieldwith these 5 yard throwing lanes and time will in no way happen in the NFL. It might sound like Imragging onhim but im not.He is doing the right thing and thats there offense so be it.It is quite possible that Cam can do all these things and just hasnt got the opportunity to do so. I just think there is a huge difference in playing QB in Auburns system to the NFL. Its about as gimmicky as there is in CFB. It in no way prepares a QB to play in the NFL.[/quote] sure, theres questions, no doubt.. But, who dosen't have questions? I mean, Stanford plays in a wideopen attack, and for all we know, Luck can be the next Trent Edwards, and Arkansas has a crazy offense, of coures theres questions.. I don't think u have seen alot of the throws cams made that are totally fit into the tiniest of spaces, like the TD pass against Ole miss where someone he fit it in the back right(i mean, 1inch back right!) of the endzone to i believe Darvin Adams who was draped and somehow cam put it exactly where only adams could catch it and get 2ft in.. Also, the Td pass against Kentucky where he was scrambling right with a Defender just getting to him he let it go for a perfect bomb pass into the endzone for a TD, while the defender had pretty good coverege... Then the TD pass to emory blake last wk comes to mind as well, as he was covered by 2guys, and he flotaed it over both of em just barley and blake barley had to adjust as it was so perfect of a throw, with pressure just breaking through the line...

Again, theres Questions, of course, but hes made and done enough of everything to take a chance on him.. Hes always gonna have the size and arm strength and wheels, and shown hes very accurate when given time, which alot of QB's have shown there not always accurate on deep throws even when given time, and hes made enough plays throwing on the run and with some pressure and fitting it in tight windows to at least think he can do it consistently, with some more coaching and expierence... I'm with u on questions, but i've seen him do just about everything and make every throw and we shall see if it translates to a more basic offense if thats the way it works out...
    [/quote]Im talking about mostly the timing type routes they dont run those plays. Everything Auburn does is vertical down the field passing

Newton is a project IMO. Needs some development. He reminds me of michael vick/vince young. He has amazing arm strength but his accuracy isn't his strong point. His mechanics and footwork needs a lot of refinement. Too many times I've seen his receivers have to slow down or adjust to his passes and he's not really a pocket QB. Also (imo) a project's success is determined on the team that drafts him (a good organization with a respectable coaching staff) and that players' intangibles. He does have some red flags because of what his father did.

Newton has tremendous athleticism, arm strength, and size but still pretty raw. He will not start in the NFL immediately. Definitely has amazing upside tho

[quote user="Neverend"]

Newton is a project IMO. Needs some development. He reminds me of michael vick/vince young. He has amazing arm strength but his accuracy isn't his strong point. His mechanics and footwork needs a lot of refinement. Too many times I've seen his receivers have to slow down or adjust to his passes and he's not really a pocket QB. Also (imo) a project's success is determined on the team that drafts him (a good organization with a respectable coaching staff) and that players' intangibles. He does have some red flags because of what his father did.

Newton has tremendous athleticism, arm strength, and size but still pretty raw. He will not start in the NFL immediately. Definitely has amazing upside tho

[/quote] Hes completing almost 70pct of his pass's... Thats pretty darn accurate..

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Neverend"]

[/quote] Hes completing almost 70pct of his pass's... Thats pretty darn accurate..
    [/quote]Yeah for the things they ask him to do he is magnificent. My only thing is they dont ask him to do NFL types of reads and his receivers dont run NFL routes. Thats not his fault Im just saying