+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 562 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Re: A look at the 2011 NFL draft

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Neverend"]

Newton is a project IMO. Needs some development. He reminds me of michael vick/vince young. He has amazing arm strength but his accuracy isn't his strong point. His mechanics and footwork needs a lot of refinement. Too many times I've seen his receivers have to slow down or adjust to his passes and he's not really a pocket QB. Also (imo) a project's success is determined on the team that drafts him (a good organization with a respectable coaching staff) and that players' intangibles. He does have some red flags because of what his father did.

Newton has tremendous athleticism, arm strength, and size but still pretty raw. He will not start in the NFL immediately. Definitely has amazing upside tho

[/quote] Hes completing almost 70pct of his pass's... Thats pretty darn accurate..
    [/quote]Yeah for the things they ask him to do he is magnificent. My only thing is they dont ask him to do NFL types of reads and his receivers dont run NFL routes. Thats not his fault Im just saying[/quote]

I haven't seen newton make those NFL throws that requires the qb to fit balls into tight windows. Agreed on the lack of NFL type reads, Newton plays in a one-readpassoffense that doesn't even require newton to look through his progressions. His offenseis full of designed runs more of then not too. He also some bust potential with his character concerns. I love the guy's upside and raw natural ability but it would be a big mistake to start this guy in the NFL right away. He needs to sit behind a veteran and develop from there

All-Pro

All freshman team CB last year Josh Robinson against AJ Green Liberty Bowl. Hopefully the kid holds up, UCF is known for putting out solid DBs so we'll see if this kid is next in line.

Any of you guys watch UCF ball?

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Neverend"]

Newton is a project IMO. Needs some development. He reminds me of michael vick/vince young. He has amazing arm strength but his accuracy isn't his strong point. His mechanics and footwork needs a lot of refinement. Too many times I've seen his receivers have to slow down or adjust to his passes and he's not really a pocket QB. Also (imo) a project's success is determined on the team that drafts him (a good organization with a respectable coaching staff) and that players' intangibles. He does have some red flags because of what his father did.

Newton has tremendous athleticism, arm strength, and size but still pretty raw. He will not start in the NFL immediately. Definitely has amazing upside tho

[/quote] Hes completing almost 70pct of his pass's... Thats pretty darn accurate..
    [/quote]Yeah for the things they ask him to do he is magnificent. My only thing is they dont ask him to do NFL types of reads and his receivers dont run NFL routes. Thats not his fault Im just saying[/quote] yes, u have made that point quite clear...lol It dosen't change the fact hes hitting his recievers on the move, with guys coming on him, ala the kentucky td pass that was amazing as a Defender litteraly was just about on him and he threw it while scrambling right on the money.. What QB can make that throw? seriously? And speaking of timing patterns, how about his TD pass in the Clemson game, where he freaking gunned it as hard as i seen a QB gun a pass for a 6yrd td pass to the just inside right hashmark, to the point the REF said the WR was out of bounds(a corner was litteraly on his back by the way) and replay clearly showed the feet in... It was just a shot gun get the ball and a second later gun it to where the WR is supposed to be... I mean, the guys made every play, maybe not as much as some would like, but theres evidence of every type of play and throw made from this kid.. The TD pass against KU and Ole Miss are flat out, ******edly sickening good, and i don't know if any player in this Country can make the same throws... I believe in, if your a Good PLayer, your gonna be good, as its just in your blood and your destiny to be good... Cam Newtons just a good player, who can make all the throws, can improvise, and has extremely awesome measurables and speed, and is 100times more accurate at his age then Mike Vick was at the same time, plus he has the advantage of seeing over most defenders, as mike vick can't do that... Dudes stupid accurate, and i've been writing about this kid since like the 2nd wk of the season and had money on just about every game hes played in, so i've seen just about every play from him, and wk by wk, i just kept wanting to see one more thing, to make me a total believer and every wk i was left satisfied and seeing that one more thing... I am 100pct completely satisfied and i would draft him in a Heart beat if i was a GM looking for a QB.. I'd take him over every QB except Luck...

[quote user="Neverend"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Neverend"]

[/quote]Yeah for the things they ask him to do he is magnificent. My only thing is they dont ask him to do NFL types of reads and his receivers dont run NFL routes. Thats not his fault Im just saying[/quote]

I haven't seen newton make those NFL throws that requires the qb to fit balls into tight windows. Agreed on the lack of NFL type reads, Newton plays in a one-readpassoffense that doesn't even require newton to look through his progressions. His offenseis full of designed runs more of then not too. He also some bust potential with his character concerns. I love the guy's upside and raw natural ability but it would be a big mistake to start this guy in the NFL right away. He needs to sit behind a veteran and develop from there

[/quote] i don't know how u have watched him and not seen him fit it into small windows.. I mean, sure hes hit a ton of pass's where the WR's are open, but my lord, hes made a ton of incredible throws with players right on the WR"s, ala KU game and Ole Miss game, and Clemson game for starters... I mean, its also a testament to Cam, for making some of these plays look so easy as teams must keep a Spy on him and must always have there attention to him possibly taking off for a huge gain... Sure, hes got some things to learn, but most didn't expect him to do what hes done this yr, either.. But yet, here we are.. I remember back in WK3, people were talking about his arm and could he make this throw and is he accurate enough to make this throw, or is he just a runner...etc...etc And bang, u would see the rockets right on target and the bombs floated right in there, and those questions were answered.. I mean, the guys going in RD 1, thats the bottom line, and chances are, after the combine, he'll be a shoe in for the top 15... The guy dosen't throw picks either, as he's only thrown 6 all season long, hes always making the right decisons.. Thats another thing that goes along way.. Its not often u have a 6ft 6inch QB who can throw and run, its a huge weapon against defenses when the QB can see the whole field and decide if he can run or make the throw, as he see's everyone and over everyone...

I never think anyones a gurantee.. I sat here and debated heavily last yr against Cj Spiller not being a sure thing, as almost everyone raved about him, but i'll straight up say, i would take Newton in a second if i was a GM looking for a QB...

Loved what merril hodge had to say today on Mike and Mike.. He was talking about the Pats , and brought up how overrated the Combine and all the stuff we try and decipher to decide if these players are big enough and fast enough, and how they move up because they ran a tenth of a second faster then this guy, and how how guys move up RD's over a bench press...etc...etc He then goes on to say look at Danny Woodhead, Deion Branch, benjarvus green ellis, Wes Welker... He goes on to say, they may not be the biggest, strongst or fastest, but they know how to play football, and there reliable and thats why the pats are so good, they don't drop stupid pass's that any moe thats played a snap of football would catch.. They don't run out of bounds when the first down markers a foot away, they just know how to play football..

How true is that? U see so many Freaks of nature, and see them drop the easiest of catches and make the stupidest of mistakes, and u think, man so what if the guys fast or whatever, hes dumb and not consistent, is all his mistakes and drops and whatever worth a big play, here and there?

Look at how many teams passed over Ahmad Bradshaw(albeit some charechter concerns).. Probably becasue he wasen't the speediest of backs and not speedy and small, supposedly equals, no success in the nfl.. Well, guess what? The guys insane! He knows how to play football, and u don't have to run a 4.40 in this league to succeed.. In fact, if thats all u can do, u will not succeed in the NFL!

sorry so many long Posts fellas, i coulden't find a way to shorten them..lol My bad!!

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Neverend"]

[/quote]Yeah for the things they ask him to do he is magnificent. My only thing is they dont ask him to do NFL types of reads and his receivers dont run NFL routes. Thats not his fault Im just saying[/quote] yes, u have made that point quite clear...lol It dosen't change the fact hes hitting his recievers on the move, with guys coming on him, ala the kentucky td pass that was amazing as a Defender litteraly was just about on him and he threw it while scrambling right on the money.. What QB can make that throw? seriously? And speaking of timing patterns, how about his TD pass in the Clemson game, where he freaking gunned it as hard as i seen a QB gun a pass for a 6yrd td pass to the just inside right hashmark, to the point the REF said the WR was out of bounds(a corner was litteraly on his back by the way) and replay clearly showed the feet in... It was just a shot gun get the ball and a second later gun it to where the WR is supposed to be... I mean, the guys made every play, maybe not as much as some would like, but theres evidence of every type of play and throw made from this kid.. The TD pass against KU and Ole Miss are flat out, ******edly sickening good, and i don't know if any player in this Country can make the same throws... I believe in, if your a Good PLayer, your gonna be good, as its just in your blood and your destiny to be good... Cam Newtons just a good player, who can make all the throws, can improvise, and has extremely awesome measurables and speed, and is 100times more accurate at his age then Mike Vick was at the same time, plus he has the advantage of seeing over most defenders, as mike vick can't do that... Dudes stupid accurate, and i've been writing about this kid since like the 2nd wk of the season and had money on just about every game hes played in, so i've seen just about every play from him, and wk by wk, i just kept wanting to see one more thing, to make me a total believer and every wk i was left satisfied and seeing that one more thing... I am 100pct completely satisfied and i would draft him in a Heart beat if i was a GM looking for a QB.. I'd take him over every QB except Luck...

[/quote]

Ive watched him just as much as U and Im well aware of what his accomplishments are. That doesnt change the fact the offense he is in has zero NFL reads and next to no NFL passing routes. He has met every challenge in CFB and its probable he will nail it in the NFL as well.Just to get this straight I like Cam alothe has through the roof upside and I love watching him play. I just know he is going to end up on the Redskins and Im going to have to hate him.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]Loved what merril hodge had to say today on Mike and Mike.. He was talking about the Pats , and brought up how overrated the Combine and all the stuff we try and decipher to decide if these players are big enough and fast enough, and how they move up because they ran a tenth of a second faster then this guy, and how how guys move up RD's over a bench press...etc...etc He then goes on to say look at Danny Woodhead, Deion Branch, benjarvus green ellis, Wes Welker... He goes on to say, they may not be the biggest, strongst or fastest, but they know how to play football, and there reliable and thats why the pats are so good, they don't drop stupid pass's that any moe thats played a snap of football would catch.. They don't run out of bounds when the first down markers a foot away, they just know how to play football..

How true is that? U see so many Freaks of nature, and see them drop the easiest of catches and make the stupidest of mistakes, and u think, man so what if the guys fast or whatever, hes dumb and not consistent, is all his mistakes and drops and whatever worth a big play, here and there?

Look at how many teams passed over Ahmad Bradshaw(albeit some character concerns).. Probably becasue he wasn't the speediest of backs and not speedy and small, supposedly equals, no success in the nfl.. Well, guess what? The guys insane! He knows how to play football, and u don't have to run a 4.40 in this league to succeed.. In fact, if thats all u can do, u will not succeed in the NFL!
    [/quote]

Yeah I like combine numbers way more on defensive players then offensive players. On defense Ilike having the biggest and fastest players out there. On offense route running and good hands trumps pure speed and height. Vision and how hard U run trumps RB size and speed. QB measurables are meaningless as long as the guy has enough height and dont give me Drew Brees one QB that is elite at that height doesnt make something universally true.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]Loved what merril hodge had to say today on Mike and Mike.. He was talking about the Pats , and brought up how overrated the Combine and all the stuff we try and decipher to decide if these players are big enough and fast enough, and how they move up because they ran a tenth of a second faster then this guy, and how how guys move up RD's over a bench press...etc...etc He then goes on to say look at Danny Woodhead, Deion Branch, benjarvus green ellis, Wes Welker... He goes on to say, they may not be the biggest, strongst or fastest, but they know how to play football, and there reliable and thats why the pats are so good, they don't drop stupid pass's that any moe thats played a snap of football would catch.. They don't run out of bounds when the first down markers a foot away, they just know how to play football..

Look at how many teams passed over Ahmad Bradshaw(albeit some charechter concerns).. Probably becasue he wasen't the speediest of backs and not speedy and small, supposedly equals, no success in the nfl.. Well, guess what? The guys insane! He knows how to play football, and u don't have to run a 4.40 in this league to succeed.. In fact, if thats all u can do, u will not succeed in the NFL!
    [/quote]

Yeah, I agree. People put too much on natural athleticism and potential from the combine. I'll take a guy who is polished technique-wise, has good intangibles, and has goodwork ethic over some athletic beast that is inconsistent or ****y. Just look at reggie bush, amazing athlete but not a football player.

[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. People put too much on natural athleticism and potential from the combine. I'll take a guy who is polished technique-wise, has good intangibles, and has goodwork ethic over some athletic beast that is inconsistent or ****y. Just look at reggie bush, amazing athlete but not a football player. It