+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 562 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Re: A look at the 2011 NFL draft

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]

EPIC COLLAPSE MOCK

1. Travis Lewis OLB Oklahoma- Giants miss playoffs but get the 19th pick and nab Lewis

2. Noel Devine RB West Virgina- Im convinced the Giants offense needs more speed they never get an easy score. Noel Devine will change that.

3. Devon House New Mexico State- A little smaller then the usual Giant corner but hey everyone is fired in this scenario so a new philosophy is in place

4. Titus Young WR Boise St- More speed a guy thats shifty in the open field

6. Tyrod Taylor QB VT- Am i putting this here because of what I just saw probably but who cares he run the wildcat and with new coordinators we will see some different looks

7.Jeremile Hines S Ohio State- An Athletic safety to battle MJ for the last safety roster spot

[/quote] nice! Heres my epic fail draft..

1. Travis Lewis LB OU

2. Jerrell Jerrnigan Wr/Kr/Rb Troy- this kids speed! He is a do all weapon with good sized hands for his size, and would be a force in return game...

3. Ahmad Black SS Fla- i know hes smallish, but he hits! hes also somewhat of a ballhawk, and he gives great effort and has solid speed, which we lack in the Secondary.. I think a future trio of KP, Rolle and Black gives us all sorts of strengths in the safety area...

4. KJ Wright SLB Miss st- a football player! Plain and simple, this kids a player that will make it in the NFL, as a solid, do everything the right way, strong, physical LB.. I love this kid...

6. Kevin Kowalski C Toledo- We wait, but still get a Center who can maul and plays with nice Technique and has decent size....

7. Lee Smith TE Marshall- Good Sized TE, that has good hands, but don't score as much as u would like.. But, he can block and could be a Kevin Boss type find late in the draft.. If nothing else, he could help the run game....
    [/quote]

I actually almost put Jerrnigan in mine. I think he is a good idea. 3 birds with one stone

Boise St Utah tommorow probably see Brandon Burton locked up on Austin Pettis should be a good game

Boise St Utah tommorow probably see Brandon Burton locked up on Austin Pettis should be a good game

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]Boise St Utah tommorow probably see Brandon Burton locked up on Austin Pettis should be a good game[/quote]ya, i'm looking forward to it! I'm also looking forward to seeing jeron johnson and Ryan Winterswyk and utah brusier Matt Asiata! Asiata is a stud! Hes the type of runner and player teams love to have on there team.. Just plays the game the right way, and has a old school feel to him, and i think he'd pair great with ahmad, but i don't know about his speed though...

Did u notice gartrell Johnson playing for the falcons??lol U hated on him, but hes making it, somewhat, and got another chance after almost making it here, with a good team, no less.. Hes not lighting the world on fire, but hes got a couple grabs and 1big run of 23yrds... Its not all about speed, my friend..lol

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]Boise St Utah tommorow probably see Brandon Burton locked up on Austin Pettis should be a good game[/quote]ya, i'm looking forward to it! I'm also looking forward to seeing jeron johnson and Ryan Winterswyk and utah brusier Matt Asiata! Asiata is a stud! Hes the type of runner and player teams love to have on there team.. Just plays the game the right way, and has a old school feel to him, and i think he'd pair great with ahmad, but i don't know about his speed though...

Did u notice gartrell Johnson playing for the falcons??lol U hated on him, but hes making it, somewhat, and got another chance after almost making it here, with a good team, no less.. Hes not lighting the world on fire, but hes got a couple grabs and 1big run of 23yrds... Its not all about speed, my friend..lol

[/quote]I said he would be out of the NFL by thestart of nextseason so we will see. I knew he would be gone from the Giants but I thought when some injuries happened he would be brought back.One more draft of young players he will be flushed out. I mean he has 8 carries this season that is not much of a success in my book

Ive been against this kind of stuff in the past but this offense needs some more options. With Bomar going to the Vikings we need a new developmental QB. Why not draft Tyrod Taylor. You can get him in on some wildcat packages, Maybe some WR, Maybe a KR. Use him like the Jets use Brad Smith . Tell me he isnt a better option on 3rd and 3 from the shotgun then Eli Manning. Time to get this offense some wrinkles and some speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAoYb...eature=related

I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. What do you guys think the odds of kellen Moore declaring are?

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]

Ive been against this kind of stuff in the past but this offense needs some more options. With Bomar going to the Vikings we need a new developmental QB. Why not draft Tyrod Taylor. You can get him in on some wildcat packages, Maybe some WR, Maybe a KR. Use him like the Jets use Brad Smith . Tell me he isnt a better option on 3rd and 3 from the shotgun then Eli Manning. Time to get this offense some wrinkles and some speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAoYb...eature=related

[/quote] he'll probably go earlier then 6th rd, but a guy i have loved for a long time is Colin Kapernick.. Hes got the Athletic ability, and the HT to see over defenses and a solid arm, to make all the throws, and make em on the move, and he can kill ya with his ft.. He may be a good one, if given a shot and some time to learn a basic NFL offense.. Alot to work with, here....

anyone got any small school guys there excited about this yr? Obviously Vlad Ducasse was my guy last yr, i was amped about, and then u had Akwasi owusu-ansah and a few others...

THis yr, theres a few guys i have heard about and have done alittle research on, guys like Benjamin Ilajana Olineman from Villanova, and also his teammate WR Matt Szczur, who is a absoulute weapon! He runs the wildcat, can throw the ball, Returns kicks and punts, and is a very good wideout, and hes a very exceptional athlete who was drafted by the CUBS in RD 5, giving him a decison to make... He was invited to the SR BOWL, and i am looking forward to seeing this kid, bigtime!!! Hes a great guy, as you'll see in this article, and may be just the type of versatile weapon our offense needs! Seriously, do some research on this kid, and you'll fall in love with his ability, and hes got good Size, hes a nice thick 205 lber standing 5ft 11inche's.. Very intriuging athlete... Read this article, its a good read

Matt Rourke/Associated Press

Matt Szczur has a chance to sign with the Chicago Cubs, but then he’d miss the N.F.L. scouting combine.

Villanova’s Matt Szczur has had so much to do this year — play football
    and baseball, provide bone marrow to a toddler with juvenile leukemia,
    keep up with his schoolwork — that he sometimes wishes he had a
    duplicate Matt Szczur to give him a hand.

Interviews, insight and analysis from The Times on the competition and culture of college football.

Division I-A

Szczur, a wide receiver, likes to do it all, but he will have to make a
    hard choice after he plays in the Senior Bowl next month. Szczur is also
    a baseball player who was drafted in the fifth round last year by the Chicago Cubs.
    If he commits to play only baseball by Feb. 10, in time for spring
    training, he will receive a $500,000 bonus. That means he would miss the
    N.F.L.’s scouting combine, which begins Feb. 23.

“I’d rather see him play baseball,” his father, Marc, said this week, “but I just want him to be happy.”

For Matt Szczur, whose last name sounds like Caesar, football makes him
    happiest right now. And another championship is at stake. Villanova
    (9-4), the reigning national champion in the Football Championship Subdivision, formerly Division I-AA, will play a semifinal game against Eastern Washington (11-2) on Friday in Cheney, Wash.

The winner will face either Delaware, Villanova’s archrival, or Georgia
    Southern in the championship game Jan. 7 in Frisco, Tex.

Szczur said this week that he was focused on Friday’s game more than whether he would choose football or baseball.

“This is my senior year, and there was nothing better than winning the
    national championship last year,” he said. “It’s a goal of ours not just
    to repeat, but it’s a legacy we’re going for now.”

Szczur, a senior from Erma, N.J., gained attention late in the 2009 season after the National Marrow Donor Program determined that his bone marrow was a match for a 13-month-old girl with juvenile leukemia.

Wildcats players have been tested since 1992 at the urging of Coach Andy Talley.

A bone-marrow drive — called the Szczur Swab — is to be held in January
    at Lower Cape May High School, Szczur’s alma mater.

Szczur underwent the exhausting procedure to donate his marrow after his
    junior football season, but it forced him to miss 10 baseball games in
    the spring. He hit a home run in his last at-bat before the procedure
    and an inside-the-park home run in his first at-bat after it.

“He’s much prouder of that than anything else,” his father said of Szczur’s being able to help the girl.

Szczur, an outfielder, batted .347 in 25 games for three Cubs minor
    league affiliates last summer, but he sounds as if he is leaning toward
    pursuing an N.F.L. career. He has been invited to the Senior Bowl on
    Jan. 30 in Mobile, Ala. The game, Szczur said, will be a test run.
    Talley has said he could be drafted as high as the third round.

Szczur decided to attend Villanova over larger colleges like Vanderbilt, Duke
    and Rutgers because it offered him a better chance to play two sports.
    Even after the Cubs drafted him, he decided he wanted to play his senior
    football season at Villanova. He still wants to play both sports.

“Football is just a shorter window,” he said. “If I decide to play
    baseball, I don’t think I would be able to go back to playing football.”

He was the most outstanding player in last year’s F.C.S. title game,
    which Villanova won over Montana, but his senior season, at least until
    Saturday, has not been as successful. Szczur missed six games with a
    high ankle sprain and Villanova lost three of them.

“There was a great morale lift when he came back,” Talley said. “He was like Superman.”

Szczur, who is listed at 5 feet 11 inches and 205 pounds, does a little
    of everything for the Wildcats. He catches a lot of passes, but he also
    takes snaps in Villanova’s version of the wildcat offense, running or
    throwing the ball, and he has returned punts and kickoffs.

He played only the first half of Villanova’s regular-season finale on
    Nov. 20 at Delaware, but he contributed enough to help the Wildcats beat
    the Blue Hens, then ranked No. 1 in the country, 28-21 in overtime, to
    squeak into the national playoffs. He also re-emerged as a vocal leader.

“It’s tough for any player who’s not playing much to say anything,” said Chris Whitney, the Villanova quarterback.

In Villanova’s first playoff game, against Stephen F. Austin on Dec. 4,
    Szczur rushed for 68 yards and caught 11 passes for 128 yards and a
    touchdown in a come-from-behind victory in Nacogdoches, Tex.

The next game was a one-man tour de force. Szczur scored four touchdowns
    — three rushing and one receiving — and threw a touchdown pass in a
    42-24 victory Saturday against Appalachian State in Boone, N.C.
    Appalachian State, which won three straight national title from 2005-7,
    was the top seed in the 20-team tournament.

Football fans at Delaware and Villanova — two Colonial Athletic
    Association universities that are only 40 miles apart — would be
    delighted to see a rematch in the national championship game, but Szczur
    will worry about that later. He has never played at Eastern Washington,
    whose home field is nicknamed the Inferno because it has red FieldTurf.

Szczur, a liberal arts major, has also had to take a couple of final
    examinations this week. No matter where he ends up in the spring, he
    plans to take his last four courses at Villanova through the Internet
    and graduate with his class in May.

“This isn’t nearly as hard a decision as it was last year,” Szczur said.
    “I was really stressing out about that, because I wanted to play
    football. That was more of a stressful decision than this one. I feel I
    have better options now.”

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]anyone got any small school guys there excited about this yr? Obviously Vlad Ducasse was my guy last yr, i was amped about, and then u had Akwasi owusu-ansah and a few others...

THis yr, theres a few guys i have heard about and have done alittle research on, guys like Benjamin Ilajana Olineman from Villanova, and also his teammate WR Matt Szczur, who is a absoulute weapon! He runs the wildcat, can throw the ball, Returns kicks and punts, and is a very good wideout, and hes a very exceptional athlete who was drafted by the CUBS in RD 5, giving him a decison to make... He was invited to the SR BOWL, and i am looking forward to seeing this kid, bigtime!!! Hes a great guy, as you'll see in this article, and may be just the type of versatile weapon our offense needs! Seriously, do some research on this kid, and you'll fall in love with his ability, and hes got good Size, hes a nice thick 205 lber standing 5ft 11inche's.. Very intriuging athlete... Read this article, its a good read

Matt Rourke/Associated Press

Matt Szczur has a chance to sign with the Chicago Cubs, but then he’d miss the N.F.L. scouting combine.

Villanova’s Matt Szczur has had so much to do this year — play football
    and baseball, provide bone marrow to a toddler with juvenile leukemia,
    keep up with his schoolwork — that he sometimes wishes he had a
    duplicate Matt Szczur to give him a hand.

Interviews, insight and analysis from The Times on the competition and culture of college football.

Division I-A

Szczur, a wide receiver, likes to do it all, but he will have to make a
    hard choice after he plays in the Senior Bowl next month. Szczur is also
    a baseball player who was drafted in the fifth round last year by the Chicago Cubs.
    If he commits to play only baseball by Feb. 10, in time for spring
    training, he will receive a $500,000 bonus. That means he would miss the
    N.F.L.’s scouting combine, which begins Feb. 23.

“I’d rather see him play baseball,” his father, Marc, said this week, “but I just want him to be happy.”

For Matt Szczur, whose last name sounds like Caesar, football makes him
    happiest right now. And another championship is at stake. Villanova
    (9-4), the reigning national champion in the Football Championship Subdivision, formerly Division I-AA, will play a semifinal game against Eastern Washington (11-2) on Friday in Cheney, Wash.

The winner will face either Delaware, Villanova’s archrival, or Georgia
    Southern in the championship game Jan. 7 in Frisco, Tex.

Szczur said this week that he was focused on Friday’s game more than whether he would choose football or baseball.

“This is my senior year, and there was nothing better than winning the
    national championship last year,” he said. “It’s a goal of ours not just
    to repeat, but it’s a legacy we’re going for now.”

Szczur, a senior from Erma, N.J., gained attention late in the 2009 season after the National Marrow Donor Program determined that his bone marrow was a match for a 13-month-old girl with juvenile leukemia.

Wildcats players have been tested since 1992 at the urging of Coach Andy Talley.

A bone-marrow drive — called the Szczur Swab — is to be held in January
    at Lower Cape May High School, Szczur’s alma mater.

Szczur underwent the exhausting procedure to donate his marrow after his
    junior football season, but it forced him to miss 10 baseball games in
    the spring. He hit a home run in his last at-bat before the procedure
    and an inside-the-park home run in his first at-bat after it.

“He’s much prouder of that than anything else,” his father said of Szczur’s being able to help the girl.

Szczur, an outfielder, batted .347 in 25 games for three Cubs minor
    league affiliates last summer, but he sounds as if he is leaning toward
    pursuing an N.F.L. career. He has been invited to the Senior Bowl on
    Jan. 30 in Mobile, Ala. The game, Szczur said, will be a test run.
    Talley has said he could be drafted as high as the third round.

Szczur decided to attend Villanova over larger colleges like Vanderbilt, Duke
    and Rutgers because it offered him a better chance to play two sports.
    Even after the Cubs drafted him, he decided he wanted to play his senior
    football season at Villanova. He still wants to play both sports.

“Football is just a shorter window,” he said. “If I decide to play
    baseball, I don’t think I would be able to go back to playing football.”

He was the most outstanding player in last year’s F.C.S. title game,
    which Villanova won over Montana, but his senior season, at least until
    Saturday, has not been as successful. Szczur missed six games with a
    high ankle sprain and Villanova lost three of them.

“There was a great morale lift when he came back,” Talley said. “He was like Superman.”

Szczur, who is listed at 5 feet 11 inches and 205 pounds, does a little
    of everything for the Wildcats. He catches a lot of passes, but he also
    takes snaps in Villanova’s version of the wildcat offense, running or
    throwing the ball, and he has returned punts and kickoffs.

He played only the first half of Villanova’s regular-season finale on
    Nov. 20 at Delaware, but he contributed enough to help the Wildcats beat
    the Blue Hens, then ranked No. 1 in the country, 28-21 in overtime, to
    squeak into the national playoffs. He also re-emerged as a vocal leader.

“It’s tough for any player who’s not playing much to say anything,” said Chris Whitney, the Villanova quarterback.

In Villanova’s first playoff game, against Stephen F. Austin on Dec. 4,
    Szczur rushed for 68 yards and caught 11 passes for 128 yards and a
    touchdown in a come-from-behind victory in Nacogdoches, Tex.

The next game was a one-man tour de force. Szczur scored four touchdowns
    — three rushing and one receiving — and threw a touchdown pass in a
    42-24 victory Saturday against Appalachian State in Boone, N.C.
    Appalachian State, which won three straight national title from 2005-7,
    was the top seed in the 20-team tournament.

Football fans at Delaware and Villanova — two Colonial Athletic
    Association universities that are only 40 miles apart — would be
    delighted to see a rematch in the national championship game, but Szczur
    will worry about that later. He has never played at Eastern Washington,
    whose home field is nicknamed the Inferno because it has red FieldTurf.

Szczur, a liberal arts major, has also had to take a couple of final
    examinations this week. No matter where he ends up in the spring, he
    plans to take his last four courses at Villanova through the Internet
    and graduate with his class in May.

“This isn’t nearly as hard a decision as it was last year,” Szczur said.
    “I was really stressing out about that, because I wanted to play
    football. That was more of a stressful decision than this one. I feel I
    have better options now.”

[/quote]i hate you. THIS IS MY GUY. love this kid and his ability to make a play is amazing. hope he plays football will be very ticked if he doesnt. i almost brought him up a few weeks ago but the n saw he had signed with a baseball team so figured he wasnt even thinking of entering the nfl.