+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 562 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast

Re: A look at the 2011 NFL draft

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]* Mel Kipers Mock Draft is on Espn Right now, and let it be known, i had Mikel Leshoure moving up into RD 1 before him!!!!!lol* I said expect him to have a ryan matthews, knowhson moreno type rise... Your beat Kiper!!!!lol
    [/quote]Dude I almost got killed yesterday. This chick went through a stop sign and I Tboned her. I think my car is totaled.[/quote]

****, good luck.

Just Bumping this thread. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-314104

SOUTH TEAM PRACTICE STAND OUTS

Quarterback: Christian Ponder, Florida State -- Perhaps the most well-developed quarterback here from a playbook and awareness perspective. Had Ponder not been challenged by shoulder and elbow injuries through his junior and senior seasons, he would most likely be a lead-pipe lock as a first-round pick. But he checked out medically here, and he showed what you see on tape - a great sense of route development from 0-20 yards, the occasional well-thrown deep ball, nice mobility in and out the pocket, and solid overall mechanics. Any team looking for a young quarterback to run their West Coast offense would have to be impressed with what they saw from Ponder this week.

Running back: Derrick Locke, Kentucky -- Locke had a lot to prove this week, and he ran like it at all times. He told me that NFL teams will naturally be concerned that at his size (5-8, 186), he'll be able to run between the tackles. Every day, he ran inside with authority and broke through the pile a few times. I think he put himself on the radar of a few NFL teams here, and he'll be another one to watch through Combine and Pro Day.

Receivers: Leonard Hankerson, Miami/Ronald Johnson, USC -- Hankerson was the star among all the receivers to many analysts - people like his smooth stride and ability to run routes very well. While I echo those sentiments, and also liked his toughness when going low in traffic on comebacks, I'm a little concerned that Hankerson's lack of speed will affect his NFL prospects. He doesn't make a hard cut in stride - it takes him a second to get back up to speed - and I don't know that you can get away with that against faster and more complex NFL defenses. Johnson consistently impressed me as a slot receiver; he is quick enough to get open in short spaces and helped Hankerson and other bigger receivers by taking the inside route on combo routes very quickly.

Honorable mention to West Virginia's Jock Sanders, who came to Mobile as a late add and blew me away with his speed on quick stutter-go routes from the slot. Size concerns will dog him, but that kid is ridiculously fast.

Tight Ends: DJ Williams(notes), Arkansas/Luke Stocker, Tennessee -- Not much to talk about at the tight end position on the North team, but the South had two standouts. I liked Williams' turn-and-go when getting open downfield, and he has great hands - one hand naturally follows the other when he's bringing the ball in and he's quick to grab the pass in the end zone. Stocker was one of the most physically impressive players through practice week because he caught everything thrown his way, and he also held on early in the week when Alabama's Greg McElroy throw him right into a huge hit in the secondary. He's that big, Jason Witten(notes)-type tight end who can do just about everything - a skill set that will never go out of style.

Offensive Line

Tackle: Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State -- Unlike the North team, which was loaded with tackles of interest, the South squad seemed to have more going on with its interior linemen, That said, those North tackles all struggled with consistency on a day-to-day basis, and that's one thing Sherrod didn't do - he gave a solid level of performance every day. Playing right tackle at times, he made "flipping the protections" look a lot easier than it can be. Sherrod is a smooth blocker who reminds me of Jason Smith(notes), and I wonder if he might not wind up as an outstanding right tackle as Smith has become for the St. Louis Rams.

Interior Linemen: Rodney Hudson, Florida State/Danny Watkins, Baylor -- Hudson may be on the wrong side of 300 pounds, but he plays about 30 pounds heavier than he is, because he starts so low before the snap and explodes into the defender's pads. No matter who he had on him during practice week, Hudson would not be denied. I wonder if his build (he doesn't have a really wide base in his lower body) might be more tailored to the center position. Watkins, the 26-year-old former firefighter form Canada who wound up replacing Jason Smith at Baylor, looked pretty solid at guard and told me that he felt especially comfortable at center. All through the week, he played with a serious nasty streak - he stood some good defenders up and he'll come away from this experience with a few new converts on the NFL side.

Defensive Linemen: Phil Taylor, Baylor/Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State -- At 6-4 and 330 pounds, Taylor surprised a lot of people with his quickness - he looked more like a 300-pound three-tech when doing agility drills. McPhee showed a lot of aggressiveness through the week, consistently driving blockers back and exhibiting good quickness in short spaces. He may not be an edge rusher per se, but he could complement an NFL pass rusher very well. What I liked best about McPhee was that he got penetration with inside and outside moves - he didn't seem limited when his options went one way of the other.

Linebacker: Von Miller, Texas A & M -- It's not that we didn't expect Miller to stand out, but the fact that he lived up to all expectations is a good indicator of what he brings to whatever he does on the field. Miller had the benefit of practicing all week against a stellar roster of tight ends, and he took advantage, shadowing Arkasas' D.J. Williams especially well. Everyone knows that Miller is a great pass rusher and a downhill thumper as an inline tackler - add his increased versatility shown on Mobile, and Miller is looking closer at a possible top 15 draft pick.

Defensive Backs: Curtis Brown, Texas/Shareece Wright, USC -- Two aggressive cornerbacks here. Brown can get a little grabby at times, something you hope his NFL coaching staff will train out of him before he gets a rep with officials at the pro level. But he's very quick in short spaces and he has good recovery speed. Brown's major problem - and this is true of Wright as well - is the occasional gamble leading to a score. While that may be a product of the fact that defenses are basically limited to single-high safety zone coverages (Cover-1 and Cover-3), it's something to watch going forward.

NORTH TEAM STANDOUTS

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-313930

Quarterback: Colin Kaepernick, Nevada - The six quarterbacks trying to outdo each other during Senior Bowl practice week have been a general hodge-podge, with a different quarterback looking best nearly every day. But Kaepernick, who played in the Pistol formation under Chris Ault, showed that he could throw under center and in true shotgun with no trouble whatsoever, and he was the one quarterback who seemed to display consistent development every day - he threw some gorgeous passes on Thursday. Kaepernick's throwing motion needs some help (he's got a hitch that causes a slight delay), but he's gained a lot of interest in these practices.

Running back: DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma - Nothing against Oklahoma State's Kendall Hunter, who ran well all week, but Murray was as impressive as you'd expect from his game tape, and he had a few surprises in store. We saw the ridiculous burst and downfield speed he's always had, but he also caught passes and proved to have an understanding of short routes, and he was tough down the sideline, dragging tacklers with him as he steamed downfield. If an NFL team with a zone slide blocking scheme gets a hold of this guy, watch out - we may have the next Jamaal Charles(notes) on our hands.

Receivers: Vincent Brown, San Diego State/Austin Pettis, Boise State - Brown was probably the most consistent receiver in a practice system that has wideouts taking passes from quarterbacks they're never seen before in round-robin fashion. Not that San Diego State is a "small school", but if there's one guy under the radar who could come out of this week with a stock increase it's Brown, whose skill set reminds some of Keenan McCardell.

Pettis is more the pure possession receiver ,and as much as everyone was talking Miami's Leonard Hankerson up on the South team (you'll be hearing more about Hankerson late), I thought Pettis possessed a similar skill set, and he was a little quicker off the line and in his cuts.

Offensive Line

Tackles: Anthony Castonzo, Boston College/Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin - None of the North tackles were consistent from day to day, but I thought that Castonzo, who struggled a bit early on and flashed dominance at time later in the week, and Carimi, who impressed with a lower base early on and got abused at points as the week went on, were the best of the bunch. Castonzo is a pure tackle - he looked really rough when asked to line up inside at guard - and Carimi has left questions about his footwork for all his recently improved technique. No tackle in this draft class has set himself apart as a dominant force.

Interior Lineman: Stephen Schilling, Michigan - This was a tough position to grade on the North team. Schilling got bulled over a few times, but he showed good fight and hand punch. I've seen Wisconsin's guard Jonathan Moffitt's name come up with a positive grade in a few reports, but I thought he really struggled staying in his base and blocking defenders out with any kind of agility.

Defensive Linemen: Cameron Jordan, Cal/Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue - With the increasing preponderance of NFL teams playing 3-man fronts, it's interesting that the two best North ends fit well into most 3-4 schemes from a size perspective, Jordan continued the recent trend of outstanding Cal defensive linemen established by Brandon Mebane(notes) and Tyson Alualu(notes) and showed up strong in Mobile. He's impressed at both end and tackle, making me think that teams looking for Justin Smith(notes) hybrid defender who can line up all over the place would be well-served by taking a good hard look at Jordan.

Kerrigan showed up at 255 pounds, about 10 pounds under his standard playing weight, and he seemed to be looking at a position change to 3-4 "endbacker" in the right system by dropping into coverage at times.

Linebackers: Casey Matthews, Oregon/Mason Foster, Washington - Matthews picked off a pass in goal line practice in mid-week, trying to show that he can do more than rush the passer - it's important to remember that as much as brother Clay has been a dominant pass rusher in the NFL, his rookie year was marked by as much coverage as anything else. Foster, who would fit very well in any kind of Cover-2/Tamps-2 system in which rangy linebackers rule the day, was a whirling dervish through practice week. Foster's challenge at the next level will be to prove that he can add a physical presence when tackling to an overall skill set that looks more and more impressive the more you see of him.

Defensive Back: Kendric Burney, North Carolina - it's hard to pick out defensive backs who stand out when teams are limited to Cover-1 and Cover-3 schemes, and quarterbacks are throwing to receivers they've never faced before. To make an impression at that point, you'd better be near the ball all the time, and Burney did just that. His highlight day was Thursday, when he picked two passes and almost had a third, but he looked very good all week. Thought to be a high-caliber nickel back because of his size (5-9, 181), Burney did everything he possibly could to increase his stock during practices.

That article is a damn good summary.

I really think Mason Foster is the perfect fit for the giants.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"] Mel Kipers Mock Draft is on Espn Right now, and let it be known, i had Mikel Leshoure moving up into RD 1 before him!!!!!lol I said expect him to have a ryan matthews, knowhson moreno type rise... Your beat Kiper!!!!lol
    [/quote]Dude I almost got killed yesterday. This chick went through a stop sign and I Tboned her. I think my car is totaled.[/quote] damn redeye, this is a classic post, that i wish i never missed untill now, because i would of liked to tell u, that i'm glad your all right, and that stinks... My bad, not seeing this untill now.. Sometimes, i miss posts...lol

[quote user="slipknottin"]That article is a damn good summary.

I really think Mason Foster is the perfect fit for the giants.[/quote] I've been saying this for awhile now... Seems like the perfect 4/3 SLB, and especially for us, because it would give us a LB that is very active and not one dimensional.... I love Ayers and would like him more, but after Ayers, its mason foster...

[quote user="nycsportzfan"] I've been saying this for awhile now...* Seems like the perfect 4/3 SLB, and especially for us, because it would give us a LB that is very active and not one dimensional....[/quote]

my question with foster is where does he go in the draft, is he a 2nd round pick? is he a late 3rd rounder?

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="nycsportzfan"] I've been saying this for awhile now... Seems like the perfect 4/3 SLB, and especially for us, because it would give us a LB that is very active and not one dimensional....[/quote]

my question with foster is where does he go in the draft, is he a 2nd round pick? is he a late 3rd rounder?[/quote] i think hes a 2nd rder, because as it turns out, the LB crop isn't what we thought it was gonna be coming into this season... So, i think people will jump on the top guys at the positon alittle earlier, putting Foster in RD 2...

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]i think hes a 2nd rder, because as it turns out, the LB crop isn't what we thought it was gonna be coming into this season... So, i think people will jump on the top guys at the positon alittle earlier, putting Foster in RD 2...
    [/quote]

its possible, i think alot depends on the combine. still have guys like Bruce Carter that are complete unknowns where they get drafted.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]i think hes a 2nd rder, because as it turns out, the LB crop isn't what we thought it was gonna be coming into this season... So, i think people will jump on the top guys at the positon alittle earlier, putting Foster in RD 2...
    [/quote]

its possible, i think alot depends on the combine. still have guys like Bruce Carter that are complete unknowns where they get drafted.[/quote]

A couple different sites have noted how Foster's athleticism was a pleasant suprise during the senior bowl week. I think he will perform well at the combine and his stock will continue to rise.

I also think Kelvin Sheppard showed well.

Coming into last week a lot of people questioned him as being another 1 of those LSU LBs who's numbers were inflated because of LSU's tendency to have MASSIVE DTs. However, unlike LSU LBs of recent years, Sheppard performed very well in practices, 1v1 drills, and in the game. His range was a big question mark as well and he did well in those drills. I think people will take his numbers more seriously now.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="nycsportzfan"] I've been saying this for awhile now... Seems like the perfect 4/3 SLB, and especially for us, because it would give us a LB that is very active and not one dimensional....[/quote] my question with foster is where does he go in the draft, is he a 2nd round pick? is he a late 3rd rounder?[/quote] i think hes a 2nd rder, because as it turns out, the LB crop isn't what we thought it was gonna be coming into this season... So, i think people will jump on the top guys at the positon alittle earlier, putting Foster in RD 2...
    [/quote] I think as long as he doesnt completly bomb out at the combine he will be taken in the 2nd round