+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eagles resign Jason Peters to a 5 year $52M deal

What do you guys think?

2013 was the first year since 2006 he was healthy all year. He is 32 years old and has had 2 achillies injuries.

Jason Peters was headed into the final year of the contract he signed when the Eagles acquired him from Buffalo in a trade. But he won't make it to free agency as the team locked him down on a five-year deal Wednesday.

Philadelphia announced the deal Wednesday morning and it will keep Peters in uniform with the Eagles through 2018. The deal, per multiple reports, will include $19.55 million in guaranteed money and $51.3 million overall.

Peters played in 16 games in 2013, the first time he's done that since 2006. The 32-year-old tackle was named to the Pro Bowl and was also included on the All-Pro team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-year-53m-deal
    ZERO quality wins the last 2 seasons. Major changes are needed.

holy ****. this cannot actually be five years can it? like lots of up front money im thinking?

A five-year deal for a player on the wrong side of 30 coming off of two ACL injuries. Good luck thinking that he'll make it through the next five years without injury or playing at the level he did in 2013. But, hey, it's the Eagles. They'll probably cut him before the five years are up.
    One of these teams is not like the others

almost as much as I make..

Without knowing the contract structure, it's really hard to know if it's a bad contract. Him being counting about $4m a year for signing bonus money doesn't look good, though. He'd have to be on the books for more than $8m in base salary in year 4 if they wanted to cut him loose with 2 years left on the deal.

It's probably structured in a way that makes him cuttable after a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    It's probably structured in a way that makes him cuttable after a year or so.
    Not with nearly $20m in signing bonus money. He's counting ~$3.8m/yr just in that. I suppose with 2 years left, they can make him a June 1 cut. But, I find it hard to see a scenario (except an absurd backloading, i.e. having years 4 and 5 base being $10m+), where he's easily cuttable before year 4.

I think it's going to make it much tougher to re-sign the guy in my Avy.

And the resigned the redneck racist to a 5 yr $25m deal.

And C Kelce to a 7 year $33.5M deal. Throwing the dough around now....

Must be nice to find a good lineman in the 6th round...