+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants do not need a linebacker...

Giants do not need a linebacker...

Hey guys, I see too many posts about drafting a linebacker in the 1st round. It's not happening because we don't need one...

Our linebacker core (WHEN HEALTHY*) is extremely underrated... Jonathan Goff was a great two down run defending linebacker who tore his ACL but he'll be back next season. Michael Boley is very good and his replacement (Jacquian Williams) has already been drafted. And then we have Kiwi who's made the full transition to OLB.

The Giants have 4 very solid linebackers...

Now here are my thoughts on the draft... our immediate needs are offensive line and maybe cornerback (depending on who we sign/resign in free agency). Yes you could argue that RB and TE could be needs but we don't ever draft RB's or TE's in the 1st or 2nd round.

This draft is TOP HEAVY in offensive linemen (particularly tackles)... I think that's what we take with our 1st pick.

Also for everyone saying we're gonna draft another DE, keep in mind that this draft is very weak in the DE department and there is only 1, maybe 2 legit DE 1st rounders. As for cornerback I could see us taking one through BPA if a guy like Dre Kirkpatrick falls to us but again, I doubt that's gonna happen.

Veteran

Re: Giants do not need a linebacker...

If Osi is gone, Kiwi could very well go back to the DE rotation fulltime, meaning we'd need a SLB.

Yeah I agree with this as well. Have all year. I'd love a Kuechly, maybe even a Hightower, but I think we have bigger needs.

[quote user="Itlan"]If Osi is gone, Kiwi could very well go back to the DE rotation fulltime, meaning we'd need a SLB.[/quote]

Even if that's true, Reese will not use our 1st or 2nd round pick on a 2 down strong side linebacker that won't even contribute in passing situations. I could see us drafting one in the later rounds though (3-6).

[quote user="gmen0820"]Yeah I agree with this as well. Have all year.
    I'd love a Kuechly, maybe even a Hightower, but I think we have bigger
    needs.[/quote]

Yes I agree with you. I'd like to maybe add another linebacker but we have bigger needs to address in the early rounds.

Just like your statements on the DE/CB situation, our potential need at LB is conjecture dependent on who we sign or resign and where they are physically in being able to play.

Kiwi is signed for one more year, behind him is Sintim and Tracy. I think Goff is better suited over there, but we'll wait and see on both his FA situation and his health.

As of now, the middle is filled with depth to develop, but not one I'd like to call a starter. One can very well turn into a very consistent player, but again, why gamble and bank on it.

I would love an emphasis on the offensive line as well.

Veteran

[quote user="Danny1024"]Hey guys, I see too many posts about drafting a linebacker in the 1st round. It's not happening because we don't need one...

Our linebacker core (WHEN HEALTHY*) is extremely underrated... Jonathan Goff was a great two down run defending linebacker who tore his ACL but he'll be back next season. Michael Boley is very good and his replacement (Jacquian Williams) has already been drafted. And then we have Kiwi who's made the full transition to OLB.

Now here are my thoughts on the draft... our immediate needs are offensive line and maybe cornerback (depending on who we sign/resign in free agency). Yes you could argue that RB and TE could be needs but we don't ever draft RB's or TE's in the 1st or 2nd round.

This draft is TOP HEAVY in offensive linemen (particularly tackles)... I think that's what we take with our 1st pick.

Also for everyone saying we're gonna draft another DE, keep in mind that this draft is very weak in the DE department and there is only 1, maybe 2 legit DE 1st rounders. As for cornerback I could see us taking one through BPA if a guy like Dre Kirkpatrick falls to us but again, I doubt that's gonna happen.

[/quote]

this is the lb situation right now Chase Blackburn, a defensive end, and a LB in a safeties body.

you're right we don't need a linebacker we need linebackers.

Veteran

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Danny1024"]Hey guys, I see too many posts about drafting a linebacker in the 1st round. It's not happening because we don't need one...

[/quote]

this is the lb situation right now Chase Blackburn, a defensive end, and a LB in a safeties body.

you're right we don't need a linebacker we need linebackers.[/quote]Boley has a safeties body?

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Danny1024"]Hey guys, I see too many posts about drafting a linebacker in the 1st round. It's not happening because we don't need one...

[/quote]

you're right we don't need a linebacker we need linebackers.[/quote]

Those 3 linebackers have been playing their asses off lately. That's a really lame comment you made.

To add they also have guys like Greg Jones and Mark Herzlich....Being those guys didn't have off season training and were pretty much thrown into the fire their rookie year, I'd like to think they'll only be better acclimated next year....(Not sure if people have already written them off...I haven't)

For the draft I wouldn't mind the Giants picking up another CB in the 1st to be honest. The secondary is thin and guys are coming back off injuries. ....Alfonzo Denard, Janoris Jenkins, Chase Minnifield to name a few who might be around when the Giants pick...

^
    I'm thinking secondary or O-line in the first would be nice.
    Especially if they happen to be bpa.
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

+ Reply to Thread