+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giants do not need a linebacker...

Re: Giants do not need a linebacker...

LB is & has been the weakest part of our team for years.......we have playmakers at every position other than LB......end of story..

[quote user="myles2424"]LB is & has been the weakest part of our team for years.......we have playmakers at every position other than LB......end of story..[/quote]

No I definitely feel like OL has been our weakest unit this year. Think about it, 32nd in rushing and a piss poor pass blocking unit as well. Eli makes them like a lot better than they actually are (and they look pretty bad to begin with...).

And people keep saying the LB unit is weak... this is some kind of fallacy that I keep hearing. Michael Boley is an above average linebacker. Kiwanuka has been playing out of his mind these past few weeks and I think its because he finally got use to the OLB role. Jacquian Williams had a very good rookie season. Jonathan Goff doesn't put up flashy stats but he's an extremely underrated player and he'll be back next year. Read this article and you'll find out why http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...w-york-giants/

Veteran

[quote user="Danny1024"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="B-Red22"]

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Danny1024"]Those 3 linebackers have been playing their asses off lately. That's a really lame comment you made.
    [/quote] Notice the key word "lately". Blackburn and Kiwi are clearly not the long term solution and that is what I'm referring to when i say we need linebackers. I love Boley btw but you have to admit he is a little undersized and is also getting up there in age (30 next year). We definitely have some great young depth but we need an impact linebacker to man the middle.[/quote]

Kiwi has looked like the real deal this season so idk what your talking about, to me he has finally made the full transition to LB

[/quote]

Once again long term. Kiwi only has a 1 year deal and will be 29 next season. Also isn't a great pass defender. We need a 3 down lb.[/quote]

And Kiwi can't be resigned after his deal is up next year? And we have already drafted Boley's replacement with Jacquian Williams. And Jonathan Goff is only 26 years old. You're just making up excuses to draft a linebacker early when we don't need to.

It's not happening though even if you want to continue to debate it.
    [/quote]

You never know, kiwi might not be resigned and once again he's getting up there in age and is somewhat of a liability in coverage. All I'm saying is that we need a legit MLB that can man the middle for the next 10 years.

[quote user="deekay7685"]so if we draft an OL which position do we need to upgrade and who is worthy of a ~ 25th pick?
    the only guy i like there is PKonz but they're paying Baas a lot of money.i can't think of a OT (right) prospect there deserving of being drafted there and would be an effective starter in his rookie season.
    BPA may be a LB or a CB or DL if they choose not to resign TT, trade OSI or cut Canty,[/quote]

What about Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia? I've heard him mocked to us in a few places. Drafting a guard is never a splash pick, but when you grab one this early you're hopefully getting one of the best.

So, we don't need a linebacker because our linebackers have been playing good recently... But we need an offensive lineman? Who have also been playing good lately.

I personally hope we take Dont'a Hightower in the first. I think he'll have a long career and I like his versatility if we run into injury problems again. He can play MLB or DE and dominate at both. He's a monster against the run and is one of the smartest LBs in the draft (he almost chose Vanderbilt over Alabama simply for the academics). He's the guy I want getting our defense in the right place.

We definitely do need some OL help though. It's hard to complain any time you take OL early. I just think there will be some solid options beyond the 1st round.

Brandon Boykin and Dequan Menzie are great CB options for later in the draft.

[quote user="BlueDog10"][quote user="deekay7685"]so if we draft an OL which position do we need to upgrade and who is worthy of a ~ 25th pick?
    the only guy i like there is PKonz but they're paying Baas a lot of money.i can't think of a OT (right) prospect there deserving of being drafted there and would be an effective starter in his rookie season.
    BPA may be a LB or a CB or DL if they choose not to resign TT, trade OSI or cut Canty,[/quote]

What about Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia? I've heard him mocked to us in a few places. Drafting a guard is never a splash pick, but when you grab one this early you're hopefully getting one of the best.[/quote]

I would love this pick. Not in the first round of course, but think he's a good get.

Veteran

[quote user="critters"]So, we don't need a linebacker because our linebackers have been playing good recently... But we need an offensive lineman? Who have also been playing good lately.

I personally hope we take Dont'a Hightower in the first. I think he'll have a long career and I like his versatility if we run into injury problems again. He can play MLB or DE and dominate at both. He's a monster against the run and is one of the smartest LBs in the draft (he almost chose Vanderbilt over Alabama simply for the academics). He's the guy I want getting our defense in the right place.

We definitely do need some OL help though. It's hard to complain any time you take OL early.* I just think there will be some solid options beyond the 1st round.

Brandon Boykin and Dequan Menzie are great CB options for later in the draft.
    [/quote]

Hightower would be a solid pick because of the versatility but I also question his speed and athleticism. that's not everything though.

I actually agree. Although, Goff is a FA and if you take him out of the mix, we do suffer a bit.

I think People on these boards are seriously underestimating just how good a rookie year Jaquan Williams has had.

Compare him to all the highly drafted LBs of the draft and he holds his own.

For example: Akeem Ayers has played well and has played many more downs than Jaquain. Yet, they have almost identical stats. If anything JW's are very slightly better.

The Bills have been raving about Kelvin Sheppards rookie performance, yet his stats arent as good as JW's either.

In fact, Von Miller aside, JW has played as well as any rookie LB in the NFL this year.

This, from a guy who most draft experts didnt even have a rating for, and some has never heard of....

We should all get down on our knees daily and thank God, or Allah, or the Tooth Fairey or whoever you believe in, for Reese's ability to draft.

Veteran

[quote user="BlueSanta"]I actually agree. Although, Goff is a FA and if you take him out of the mix, we do suffer a bit.

I think People on these boards are seriously underestimating just how good a rookie year Jaquan Williams has had.

*For example: Akeem Ayers has played well and has played many more downs than Jaquain. Yet, they have almost identical stats. If anything JW's are very slightly better.

*The Bills have been raving about Kelvin Sheppards rookie performance, yet his stats arent as good as JW's either.

In fact, Von Miller aside, JW has played as well as any rookie LB in the NFL this year.

This, from a guy who most draft experts didnt even have a rating for, and some has never heard of....

We should all get down on our knees daily and thank God, or Allah, or the Tooth Fairey or whoever you believe in, for Reese's ability to draft.
    [/quote]

There's no doubt that Kiwi, Boley, and JWill have been playing very well this year but there's also no doubt that the Giants need a legit MLB. If we had Patrick Willis do you realize how much better out defense would be?? None of our guys are even half of Patrick Willis. Idk where this legit MLB will come from but it's not my job so idc just get it done Reese!

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="BlueSanta"]I actually agree. Although, Goff is a FA and if you take him out of the mix, we do suffer a bit.

For example: Akeem Ayers has played well and has played many more downs than Jaquain. Yet, they have almost identical stats. If anything JW's are very slightly better.

The Bills have been raving about Kelvin Sheppards rookie performance, yet his stats arent as good as JW's either.

[/quote]

There's no doubt that Kiwi, Boley, and JWill have been playing very well this year but there's also no doubt that the Giants need a legit MLB. If we had Patrick Willis do you realize how much better out defense would be?? None of our guys are even half of Patrick Willis. Idk where this legit MLB will come from but it's not my job so idc just get it done Reese![/quote]

there are 31 teams in the NFL who can say the same thing: "if we had Pat Willis we would be better off!"

PW's dont come along every year.

+ Reply to Thread