+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran

Re: Giants do not need a linebacker...

[quote user="Danny1024"]Those 3 linebackers have been playing their asses off lately. That's a really lame comment you made.
    [/quote]

Notice the key word "lately". Blackburn and Kiwi are clearly not the long term solution and that is what I'm referring to when i say we need linebackers. I love Boley btw but you have to admit he is a little undersized and is also getting up there in age (30 next year). We definitely have some great young depth but we need an impact linebacker to man the middle.

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Danny1024"]Those 3 linebackers have been playing their asses off lately. That's a really lame comment you made.
    [/quote] Notice the key word "lately". Blackburn and Kiwi are clearly not the long term solution and that is what I'm referring to when i say we need linebackers. I love Boley btw but you have to admit he is a little undersized and is also getting up there in age (30 next year). We definitely have some great young depth but we need an impact linebacker to man the middle.[/quote]

Kiwi has looked like the real deal this season so idk what your talking about, to me he has finally made the full transition to LB

[quote user="poppa smurph"]I'm thinking secondary or O-line in the first would be nice..[/quote]

Yeah I wouldn't mind either or but am leaning towards CB. Who knows though....The Giants might even take another DE.

I don't know why Blackburn is so dissed. He has played as good as Goff at this point, and has played great. He's capable of starting again if Goff gets hurt, and we won't drop off if at all.

Veteran

[quote user="B-Red22"]

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Danny1024"]Those 3 linebackers have been playing their asses off lately. That's a really lame comment you made.
    [/quote] Notice the key word "lately". Blackburn and Kiwi are clearly not the long term solution and that is what I'm referring to when i say we need linebackers. I love Boley btw but you have to admit he is a little undersized and is also getting up there in age (30 next year). We definitely have some great young depth but we need an impact linebacker to man the middle.[/quote]

Kiwi has looked like the real deal this season so idk what your talking about, to me he has finally made the full transition to LB

[/quote]

Once again long term. Kiwi only has a 1 year deal and will be 29 next season. Also isn't a great pass defender. We need a 3 down lb.

In my humble opinion. I believe that the team only needs that one true middle backer. I am actually very happy with what I see on the outside. I see Boley as an amazing overall talent who plays smart football, and helps the whole defense on passing down with his great play recognition and play-calling. I like Williams and Kiwanuka as complementing eachother with speed and experience, while Sintim, Paysinger and Jones still have me guessing.... although I have been impressed with Jones' special team's play as of late. Jones may be the story down the line, as he reminds me of when I first watched Armstead play, as he was not much of a full-time player but was wrecking the opposition on special teams. Time will tell, but so far, I have been impressed with Williams as a coming talent; Kiwanuka and Boley for their stability and consistency, and feel that that is enough reason for us to be optimistic about the outside backer positions.. now, if we could just find that monster in the middle, and perhaps that killer pass rusher.... that would be amazing.

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="B-Red22"]

[/quote]

Once again long term. Kiwi only has a 1 year deal and will be 29 next season. Also isn't a great pass defender. We need a 3 down lb.[/quote]

And Kiwi can't be resigned after his deal is up next year? And we have already drafted Boley's replacement with Jacquian Williams. And Jonathan Goff is only 26 years old. You're just making up excuses to draft a linebacker early when we don't need to.

It's not happening though even if you want to continue to debate it.

Veteran

BPA BPA BPA

The number one need of any football team is talent.

If you can add the absolute best talent available, you do it. Regardless of position or perceived need. In 2010 we were LOADED at DE, and JPP was a absolute luxury pick... then Kiwi goes down, Osi becomes questionable with knee/hip problems, and JPP becomes a godsend, in addition to the only good thing about Giants ST's. Then, for a while THIS year JPP and Tolly were the depth at DE.

Likewise, we didn't really need another corner with TT24, Ross, Webby, Johnson, Coe, and Witherspoon. But the drafted Prince anyway... and then this year CB's have gone down as fast as they could be added to the roster.

You never know what you're going to need next year other than more talent. THAT'S where JR's genius lies: Identifying talent, and sticking with to his guns and ignoring pressure to reach for "Need" or spend gold (draft picks) to jump around to hunt for guys people think he needs to draft. Rather he lets the draft come to him, and picks the talent that other teams ignored in favor of "need".

This is honestly one of the better posts I've read in a long time.

Thinking long term, I'd say every position on the team is a need - except QB. I'd love it if Kuechly is this year's Prince (won't happen), but it's totally out of character for Reese to reach for a position in the first. Would be nice to walk away from the draft with a stud OLB, a pass rushing DE, a run blocking O-Lineman, a ball-hawking safety and a shutdown corner though. Actually maybe a couple of each.

Bench Player

so if we draft an OL which position do we need to upgrade and who is worthy of a ~ 25th pick?
    the only guy i like there is PKonz but they're paying Baas a lot of money.i can't think of a OT (right) prospect there deserving of being drafted there and would be an effective starter in his rookie season.
    BPA may be a LB or a CB or DL if they choose not to resign TT, trade OSI or cut Canty,