+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2nd and Later Round Receivers

With this being one of the deepest draft at the receiver position in years, who are some of the guys you really like that will be somewhere around our 2nd pick and onward in the draft?

Guys I like a lot:

Jordan Matthews
    Martavis Bryant
    Donte Moncrief
    Devin Street
    Quincy Enunwa

Most of these guys have nice size and speed. Moncrief and Matthews in particular I feel could translate nicely as X receivers (not to say I don't think the others can't). I think Matthews is a much safer prospect between the two, but I think Moncrief's upside is pretty insane, and I love the way he high-points and fights for the ball at 6'4".

I like those guys, also brandon Coleman, jared abbrederis, paul Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by King Sully View Post
    I like those guys, also brandon Coleman, jared abbrederis, paul Richardson
    I like those additions and am a huge Richardson. I would add Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, and Cody Latimer. I have really been a fan of Richardson, Adams, and Latimer which I have stated many times. I have said a few things about Landry. Even though he hurt himself with his performance at the combine if you watch his tape you have to like his game. He makes unreal catches and is tough as hell. He is not afraid to lay out for a ball even if he knows he is going to get crushed.

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
    I like those additions and am a huge Richardson. I would add Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, and Cody Latimer. I have really been a fan of Richardson, Adams, and Latimer which I have stated many times. I have said a few things about Landry. Even though he hurt himself with his performance at the combine if you watch his tape you have to like his game. He makes unreal catches and is tough as hell. He is not afraid to lay out for a ball even if he knows he is going to get crushed.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention Adams, he is another guy that I like. I think Landry on the other hand is kind of a head-scratcher. 4.77 official 40 time is unacceptable as a wr, Aaron Donald ran a 4.68 at 280 lbs for crying out loud (granted Donald is a freak). On tape he makes some amazing catches, but he also makes plenty of dumb drops. Another thing I don't like about Landry is that I think he has a lot less upside than these other guys, and his crappy combine really attests to that.

I need to watch more tape on Richardson, I think I only watched two games and wasn't that impressed. Latimer I haven't seen at all. I really hope if we don't take evans in the first that we take a receiver with our 2nd pick, or at very least our 3rd. This class is just too good to pass on them through the money rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ObsessedNYGFan View Post
    Yeah, I forgot to mention Adams, he is another guy that I like. I think Landry on the other hand is kind of a head-scratcher. 4.77 official 40 time is unacceptable as a wr, Aaron Donald ran a 4.68 at 280 lbs for crying out loud (granted Donald is a freak). On tape he makes some amazing catches, but he also makes plenty of dumb drops. Another thing I don't like about Landry is that I think he has a lot less upside than these other guys, and his crappy combine really attests to that.

I need to watch more tape on Richardson, I think I only watched two games and wasn't that impressed. Latimer I haven't seen at all. I really hope if we don't take evans in the first that we take a receiver with our 2nd pick, or at very least our 3rd. This class is just too good to pass on them through the money rounds.
    If Richardson had a legit QB his stats would have been stupid. He is a real deep ball threat. I swear every go route he gets open on. He knows how to create separation early with a quick move and it is speed from there.

Here is a game vs Oregon who has a good secondary and he beat them deep repeatedly. I swear if you just watch his tapes it looks like you could complete a pass to him 75% of the time. He really made one big drop where he took his eyes off of it but that is pretty uncharacteristic of him. He also has a remarkable one handed catch.. He even throws for a TD because the defense crashes on him when they saw him with the ball. The dude is a flat out playmaker. He reminds me a lot of Desean Jackson which quite a few people have used that comparison on here as well.

This game you get to see more of his deep threat ability... could have had two TD's pretty easily but bad throws only resulted in one being caught but didn't lead him so he didn't score. This game you get to see a lot of his route running skills. A lot of comeback routes because the DB's are so worried about the deep ball.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
    If Richardson had a legit QB his stats would have been stupid. He is a real deep ball threat. I swear every go route he gets open on. He knows how to create separation early with a quick move and it is speed from there.

Here is a game vs Oregon who has a good secondary and he beat them deep repeatedly. I swear if you just watch his tapes it looks like you could complete a pass to him 75% of the time. He really made one big drop where he took his eyes off of it but that is pretty uncharacteristic of him. He also has a remarkable one handed catch.. He even throws for a TD because the defense crashes on him when they saw him with the ball. The dude is a flat out playmaker. He reminds me a lot of Desean Jackson which quite a few people have used that comparison on here as well.

I agree that Richardson does a good job of getting open deep, and overall I think he is a good receiver. However he has holes in his game. He is fast but he doesn't have that rare breakaway speed that a guy like djax has. The thing I dislike most is really just from a team need standpoint. I think the giants really need a red-zone threat and there are a lot of good receivers with the size/speed combo to be both good x-receivers and red-zone threats. I don't think that Richardson is much of a red-zone threat at all. He is good at locating the ball and as you point out he has some nice one-handed catches, but he has average height, is only 175 lbs, and has relatively small hands for a receiver (8 7/8", most receivers hands range from 9 1/2" to 10 1/2"). With his lack of size he is also vulnerable to jams and will generally be contained by physical corners that can get their hands on him. It doesn't matter if he can get open deep if by the time he does so the qb is on his back because the timing of his route is disrupted.

Don't get me wrong I think he is a talented receiver, I just really think we need a better red-zone threat, and I just like the other guys I listed better. I'd be fine taking Richardson in the 4th, maybe the 3rd depending on who's available.

Quote Originally Posted by ObsessedNYGFan View Post
    I agree that Richardson does a good job of getting open deep, and overall I think he is a good receiver. However he has holes in his game. He is fast but he doesn't have that rare breakaway speed that a guy like djax has. The thing I dislike most is really just from a team need standpoint. I think the giants really need a red-zone threat and there are a lot of good receivers with the size/speed combo to be both good x-receivers and red-zone threats. I don't think that Richardson is much of a red-zone threat at all. He is good at locating the ball and as you point out he has some nice one-handed catches, but he has average height, is only 175 lbs, and has relatively small hands for a receiver (8 7/8", most receivers hands range from 9 1/2" to 10 1/2"). With his lack of size he is also vulnerable to jams and will generally be contained by physical corners that can get their hands on him. It doesn't matter if he can get open deep if by the time he does so the qb is on his back because the timing of his route is disrupted.

Don't get me wrong I think he is a talented receiver, I just really think we need a better red-zone threat, and I just like the other guys I listed better. I'd be fine taking Richardson in the 4th, maybe the 3rd depending on who's available.
    Yeah I understand what you are saying. Richardson was the first WR that I looked extensively into and became a real fan. I do think we could use a redzone guy which is why when I continued to look I found Moncrief soon after I started really watching Davante Adams. I saw one of his games and really liked his game. Unfortunately when I started becoming a big fan there wasn't much on him on Draftbreakdown so I watched Derek Carr tapes so I could watch him through those games. He is a guy who I think would be really nice for the team. Moncrief as well. 6'2 runs a 4.4 (I was pleasantly surprised with that time) and with all of his receiving skills. Plus like I said he is a really good blocker which is another positive.

The thing with Richardson though is his quick moves off the line don't allow a lot of CB's to get his hands on him when he is getting pressed. I get the redzone target thing though but a nice TE would be just as good as a big WR when it comes to redzone targets I think. Someone like Fiedorowicz in the 3rd a really big target would make a pick like Richardson okay because you would have Richardson 6ft (runs good fade routes to get open despite his lack of ideal fade route player's height), Cruz and JJ are quick and can work the quick routes and Randle and run fades as well. If you have a guy like Fiedorowicz running a seam or post pattern he is a really big target with soft hands.

That being said.. Fit wise I would have to agree that guys like Bryant, Moncrief, and Adams are better for what the Giants are lacking at the WR position.

Martavis has all the tools

98 - 88 = Eli

Starter
    Jordan Matthews, Kelvin Benjamin, Jared Abbrederis all have the height and fluidity. Matthews has the most well rounded package - size, strength, speed, polish, attitude and will be solid. Abbrederis is hard to cover due to his route running ability.

Jarvis Landry has the look of a sure-handed elusive receiver that makes the tough catches in traffic.