Closed Thread
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Do Sports Fans Have No Soul? (Regarding Michael Vick's Free Agency)

Since I've seen his name pop up in free agent rumors, there's been absolutely no mention of his crimes or the potential backlash his signing would have with fans of whatever team acquires him. Why is this not an issue? The guy is the scum of the earth and doesn't deserve to live a peaceful day for the rest of his life for his actions. Selling this guy to a fan base should be impossible at it is, not to mention he's no longer in his prime or capable of staying healthy for a full year. So, it seems teams are willing to acquire someone, as a potential backup, that murdered and tortured dogs for sport, and not risk upsetting their fans?

Because there are players in the league who have done much much worse. And his issues were already years and years ago, and a few teams ago. He was in jail for a long time while some people Who do worse things to humans (Ray rice, donate stallworth, etc) are off Scott free.
    NFL Fantasy Football Lineup:

QB - Michael Vick
    RB - Adrian Peterson
    RB - Ray Rice
    WR- Josh Gordon
    WR- Justin Blackmon
    TE - Aaron Hernandez
    RB/WR- Le'Veon Bell
    K - Matt Prater
    D/ST - 49ers

Owner - Jim Irsay
    GM - ??????

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Because there are players in the league who have done much much worse. And his issues were already years and years ago, and a few teams ago. He was in jail for a long time while some people Who do worse things to humans (Ray rice, donate stallworth, etc) are off Scott free.
    I don't get this at all. Stallworth had liability in his case, as did the victim, but took ownership and didn't intend to hurt anyone. Stallworth's actions have always shown he was sorry. With absolutely an inhuman degree of malice, Michael Vick had a hand in dogs being electrocuted, hung, and tortured to their deaths. There's a point you go in life that is unforgivable. For people to look the other way on Vick just cries to me that we don't respect pets like we should. Ray Rice's hit his fiancee, which is terrible, but we don't know the circumstances. He certainly didn't kill or torture her. One punch versus a calculated sequence of events? I'm sorry. Ray Rice is not in the scumbag discussion with Michael Vick.

Central NJ - the DMZ of Giants/Eagles land
    Vick is not as bad as you think.

He handled himself extremely well in Philadelphia.
    **Fan since 1970**

Quote Originally Posted by strahantuck1 View Post
    Since I've seen his name pop up in free agent rumors, there's been absolutely no mention of his crimes or the potential backlash his signing would have with fans of whatever team acquires him. Why is this not an issue? The guy is the scum of the earth and doesn't deserve to live a peaceful day for the rest of his life for his actions. Selling this guy to a fan base should be impossible at it is, not to mention he's no longer in his prime or capable of staying healthy for a full year. So, it seems teams are willing to acquire someone, as a potential backup, that murdered and tortured dogs for sport, and not risk upsetting their fans?
    He was found guilty and paid for his crimes with jail time and financial losses. I think this thread is childish and a big waste.
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

It's childish to wish a man that had a hand in torturing and murdering dog gets punished in the court of public opinion and loses his privilege to make millions of dollars? This "paid for his crimes" argument is ridiculous. He should have banned by the NFL at least. There's no coming back from the stuff he did.

I don't get this at all. Stallworth had liability in his case, as did the victim, but took ownership and didn't intend to hurt anyone. Stallworth's actions have always shown he was sorry. With absolutely an inhuman degree of malice, Michael Vick had a hand in dogs being electrocuted, hung, and tortured to their deaths. There's a point you go in life that is unforgivable. For people to look the other way on Vick just cries to me that we don't respect pets like we should. Ray Rice's hit his fiancee, which is terrible, but we don't know the circumstances. He certainly didn't kill or torture her. One punch versus a calculated sequence of events? I'm sorry. Ray Rice is not in the scumbag discussion with Michael Vick.
    Beating women / Killing someone while high on drugs is 10000000x worse then killing dogs IMO. I am a dog lover, but human life is way more important, sorry. If someone killed my dog, I wouldnt wish death on him. But if he abused my sister or killed a family member high on drugs, I would consider it.

Vick did his time in jail. Probably too much time. He served his time for the crimes and awful acts he committed. Forgive but never forget.
    NFL Fantasy Football Lineup:

QB - Michael Vick
    RB - Adrian Peterson
    RB - Ray Rice
    WR- Josh Gordon
    WR- Justin Blackmon
    TE - Aaron Hernandez
    RB/WR- Le'Veon Bell
    K - Matt Prater
    D/ST - 49ers

Owner - Jim Irsay
    GM - ??????

It's silly to argue which is offense is worse, but knocking your wife out with a punch puts you squarely in the middle of the "scumbag discussion" as you put it . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Yeah but how many players are complete sociopaths to not only make a mistake or lose control in the heat of the moment, but to commit premeditated murder on 8 separate occasions, and indirectly killed countless others.

Yes they were just dogs. But that's the kind of thing that complete psychopaths do before moving on to bigger fish.

Not saying Vick is a psychopath or that is THE prerequisite to losing your mind, but the deliberate aspect of it all is the most telling-- It's not just something he slipped up on. He intentionally committed heinous crimes over and over and over again.

Can't say that I scorn Vick as much as in the past; he's served his time, he's endured a lot of justified ridicule, but there just seems like there is something fundamentally wrong with his morals/way of life.

I'm no fan of Vick's and the dog-killer label will follow him for the rest of his life, as it should. But he went to jail, did his time and he's been on his best behavior since. Now, would I want the Giants to sign him? No. But that's because I never liked Vick BEFORE the dog fighting.

Not to mention, there are players in the league who have done far worse than torture dogs. If every team was going to have to worry about the backlash from signing certain players most teams would barely sign anybody. There's a reason why the NFL has earned the nickname the National Felons League.
    One of these teams is not like the others