Closed Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Do Sports Fans Have No Soul? (Regarding Michael Vick's Free Agency)

Since I've seen his name pop up in free agent rumors, there's been absolutely no mention of his crimes or the potential backlash his signing would have with fans of whatever team acquires him. Why is this not an issue? The guy is the scum of the earth and doesn't deserve to live a peaceful day for the rest of his life for his actions. Selling this guy to a fan base should be impossible at it is, not to mention he's no longer in his prime or capable of staying healthy for a full year. So, it seems teams are willing to acquire someone, as a potential backup, that murdered and tortured dogs for sport, and not risk upsetting their fans?

Because there are players in the league who have done much much worse. And his issues were already years and years ago, and a few teams ago. He was in jail for a long time while some people Who do worse things to humans (Ray rice, donate stallworth, etc) are off Scott free.
    ZERO quality wins the last 2 seasons. Major changes are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Because there are players in the league who have done much much worse. And his issues were already years and years ago, and a few teams ago. He was in jail for a long time while some people Who do worse things to humans (Ray rice, donate stallworth, etc) are off Scott free.
    I don't get this at all. Stallworth had liability in his case, as did the victim, but took ownership and didn't intend to hurt anyone. Stallworth's actions have always shown he was sorry. With absolutely an inhuman degree of malice, Michael Vick had a hand in dogs being electrocuted, hung, and tortured to their deaths. There's a point you go in life that is unforgivable. For people to look the other way on Vick just cries to me that we don't respect pets like we should. Ray Rice's hit his fiancee, which is terrible, but we don't know the circumstances. He certainly didn't kill or torture her. One punch versus a calculated sequence of events? I'm sorry. Ray Rice is not in the scumbag discussion with Michael Vick.

Quote Originally Posted by strahantuck1 View Post
    I don't get this at all. Stallworth had liability in his case, as did the victim, but took ownership and didn't intend to hurt anyone. Stallworth's actions have always shown he was sorry. With absolutely an inhuman degree of malice, Michael Vick had a hand in dogs being electrocuted, hung, and tortured to their deaths. There's a point you go in life that is unforgivable. For people to look the other way on Vick just cries to me that we don't respect pets like we should. Ray Rice's hit his fiancee, which is terrible, but we don't know the circumstances. He certainly didn't kill or torture her. One punch versus a calculated sequence of events? I'm sorry. Ray Rice is not in the scumbag discussion with Michael Vick.
    Beating women / Killing someone while high on drugs is 10000000x worse then killing dogs IMO. I am a dog lover, but human life is way more important, sorry. If someone killed my dog, I wouldnt wish death on him. But if he abused my sister or killed a family member high on drugs, I would consider it.

Vick did his time in jail. Probably too much time. He served his time for the crimes and awful acts he committed. Forgive but never forget.

It's silly to argue which is offense is worse, but knocking your wife out with a punch puts you squarely in the middle of the "scumbag discussion" as you put it . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Yeah but how many players are complete sociopaths to not only make a mistake or lose control in the heat of the moment, but to commit premeditated murder on 8 separate occasions, and indirectly killed countless others.

Yes they were just dogs. But that's the kind of thing that complete psychopaths do before moving on to bigger fish.

Not saying Vick is a psychopath or that is THE prerequisite to losing your mind, but the deliberate aspect of it all is the most telling-- It's not just something he slipped up on. He intentionally committed heinous crimes over and over and over again.

Can't say that I scorn Vick as much as in the past; he's served his time, he's endured a lot of justified ridicule, but there just seems like there is something fundamentally wrong with his morals/way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    Yeah but how many players are complete sociopaths to not only make a mistake or lose control in the heat of the moment, but to commit premeditated murder on 8 separate occasions, and indirectly killed countless others.

Yes they were just dogs. But that's the kind of thing that complete psychopaths do before moving on to bigger fish.

Not saying Vick is a psychopath or that is THE prerequisite to losing your mind, but the deliberate aspect of it all is the most telling-- It's not just something he slipped up on. He intentionally committed heinous crimes over and over and over again.

Can't say that I scorn Vick as much as in the past; he's served his time, he's endured a lot of justified ridicule, but there just seems like there is something fundamentally wrong with his morals/way of life.
    Thank you!! Vick's actions are utterly contemptible because they were cold and calculated. And I just can't buy that he's done his time, since he still got back his millions of dollars. The least the NFL could have done was ban him. He didn't deserve a job in the NFL after that.

Thank you!! Vick's actions are utterly contemptible because they were cold and calculated. And I just can't buy that he's done his time, since he still got back his millions of dollars. The least the NFL could have done was ban him. He didn't deserve a job in the NFL after that.
    He lost 2 years of his life in prison.... Give me a break. There are killers who do less time, human killers, who have good lawyers. Vick was an example, just like Plax was. Sure they were in the wrong, and knew they were, but if you can honestly sit here and tell me thier crimes were worse then a murderers of human life, than there is something wrong with you.

Do I like Vick? No. Do I think what he did was ok? No. Do I believe he did his time and probably too much? Yes. What he does after his sentence is up to him. Some people fall and dont get up, some people learn from their mistakes. I just look around the world and see so much worse, including white crimes happening every day that are much more impactful and hurt so many more people in the world, and those guys are looked up at. Its scary the things that go on that society just doesnt know about or just doesnt care about. Complete hypocrisy.

Central NJ - the DMZ of Giants/Eagles land
    Vick is not as bad as you think.

He handled himself extremely well in Philadelphia.
    **Fan since 1970**

Since I've seen his name pop up in free agent rumors, there's been absolutely no mention of his crimes or the potential backlash his signing would have with fans of whatever team acquires him. Why is this not an issue? The guy is the scum of the earth and doesn't deserve to live a peaceful day for the rest of his life for his actions. Selling this guy to a fan base should be impossible at it is, not to mention he's no longer in his prime or capable of staying healthy for a full year. So, it seems teams are willing to acquire someone, as a potential backup, that murdered and tortured dogs for sport, and not risk upsetting their fans?
    He was found guilty and paid for his crimes with jail time and financial losses. I think this thread is childish and a big waste.
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Get Better #80, Hermano !!