Closed Thread
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 354
  1. #251
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Aufidius View Post
    Outside of last year, Joe Flacco has never thrown more than 12 INTs since he's been in the NFL. His arm strength is one of the reasons hes thrown so few picks in his career. He can thread the needle better than most.

    Arm strength is something that is highly valued when evaluating the QB position. There is a reason that in very windy stadiums such as Green Bay and Chicago that QBs with arm strength like Favre, Rodgers and Cutler are so sought after.
    Arm strength is the single most overrated quality, just so long as the QBs arm is strong enough to make the throws you need to make in the NFL. Any QB evaluator worth a damn will tell you as much.

    And as far as throwing in windy stadia, throwing a tight spiral is more important than arm strength.

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Arm strength is the single most overrated quality, just so long as the QBs arm is strong enough to make the throws you need to make in the NFL. Any QB evaluator worth a damn will tell you as much.

    And as far as throwing in windy stadia, throwing a tight spiral is more important than arm strength.
    Arm strength is not overrated in the NFL or it wouldn't be such a sought after quality.

    Superior arm strength helps you throw a tight spiral in to the wind.

  3. #253
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Aufidius View Post
    Arm strength is not overrated in the NFL or it wouldn't be such a sought after quality.

    Superior arm strength helps you throw a tight spiral in to the wind.
    If you say so. Arm strength is coveted by armchair scouts. There are several qualities that are much more sought after.

    Also, arm strength has little to nothing to do with throwing a spiral. Spiral is all about grip and release. Actually, throwing a tight spiral improves arm strength as it reduces drag and wind/air resistance on the ball as it travels, not the other way around.

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    If you say so. Arm strength is coveted by armchair scouts. There are several qualities that are much more sought after.

    Also, arm strength has little to nothing to do with throwing a spiral. Spiral is all about grip and release. Actually, throwing a tight spiral improves arm strength as it reduces drag and wind/air resistance on the ball as it travels, not the other way around.
    Arm strength will help the QB throw a tight spiral in to the wind. The technique of course helps but of course arm strength comes in to play in the wind, no way around it.One of the reasons Phil Simms could throw a tight spiral in to the wind at Giants Stadium and Eli Manning has difficulty with that is based mainly on arm strength.

    There are many qualities for QBs that are sought after but arm strength is near the top of the list.
    Last edited by Aufidius; 05-27-2014 at 12:08 PM.

  5. #255
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Aufidius View Post
    Arm strength will help the QB throw a tight spiral in to the wind. The technique of course helps but when arm strength comes in to play in the wind. One of the reasons Phil Simms could throw a tight spiral in to the wind at Giants Stadium and Eli Manning has difficulty with that is based mainly on arm strength.

    There are many qualities for QBs that are sought after but arm strength is near the top of the list.
    Eli's arm is plenty strong. Eli's problem comes from him not throwing a tight spiral which causes it to be more easily caught up by the wind. It's simple physics.

    Arm strength isn't sought after as much as you'd like to think. It only matters is the arm strength isn't adequate.

  6. #256
    All-Pro Sarcasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manussa Loka
    Posts
    6,237
    Quote Originally Posted by BronxBomberBlue View Post
    No, it's about his thrill seeking enjoyment of watching two dogs fight for hours until the death of one of them, and building a dog fighting business empire where hundreds of dogs were brutally tortured and killed over a period of years..

    I would have no other reason to extremely hate Michael Vick like the way I do.

    Fair enough - I don't hate him just like I don't hate so many other human beings who do horrible things.

  7. #257
    All-Pro Sarcasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manussa Loka
    Posts
    6,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Aufidius View Post
    The main thing that may keep around is the fact that he has a laser cannon of an arm, he's right up there with Cutler, Flacco and Rodgers in that department. Guys with superior arm strength seem to have a very long window in NFL.
    Agreed. And that's just one of the many flaws in the player evaluation process.

  8. #258
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Arm strength is the single most overrated quality, just so long as the QBs arm is strong enough to make the throws you need to make in the NFL. Any QB evaluator worth a damn will tell you as much.

    And as far as throwing in windy stadia, throwing a tight spiral is more important than arm strength.
    I agree that a QB just has to have the arm strength to make all of the NFL throws. Anything more than that is gravy.

    If you look at the star QB's over the past few decades they all seem to have one characteristic/trait: they are tireless workers and competitors; first in the building and last out; always studying film, etc. If you find a college QB whose work ethic has been questioned, stay away. Far away.

    You could have the strongest arm in the world, but you are not going to be a good NFL QB unless you have the work ethic that the star QB's in the league have.

  9. #259
    Veteran BronxBomberBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Suffolk County
    Posts
    2,284

    Michael Vick says he can help the New York Jerks to win the Superbowl.

    First he says the Jets starting QB position "belongs" to Geno Smith..
    Then two days later, he says he can help the Jets win the Superbowl.. (How?? If you're the back up QB!!)

    You can't believe a single word that comes out of this "serial animal killer's" mouth!!!



    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-to-super-bowl

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1802530



    The Drive for Super Bowl Championship #5!!!

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Eli's arm is plenty strong. Eli's problem comes from him not throwing a tight spiral which causes it to be more easily caught up by the wind. It's simple physics.

    Arm strength isn't sought after as much as you'd like to think. It only matters is the arm strength isn't adequate.
    Its one of many factors that is sought after particularly in regard to the where you play. Obviously in San Diego or Miami, arm strength may not be as high up on the list as it is in Chicago, Green Bay and NE.

    Eli Manning has problems throwing a tight spiral in to the wind at Giants Stadium because of arm strength. He has a decent arm but it's nothing special. Phil Simms didn't have trouble throwing in to the wind at Giants Stadium because he had superior arm strength.
    In his first year when RG III was tearing up NFL, Pittsburgh Baltimore and Seattle had success against because they made him have to throw long on the fly and he had issues with that. He is a good QB with a decent arm but like Eli's, it's nothing special.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts