Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Yankees-Jets fans

So here's what I'm thinkin about today. Some people on this board who are Giants-Yankees fans have a lame problem with us Giants fans who are also Mets fans. Thing is, I also happen to know a lot of Yankees-Jets fans. In fact, my dad and brother in law happen to be Yankees-Jets fans. A few of my friends are as well.

Seems a lot of people who are bitter toward Giant fans being Met fans use the whole traditional teams argument, yet they never acknowlege the fact that there another group of fans who also go Yankees-Jets (ew).

Personally, I'm not old enough to have been a NY sports fan when it was only the Giants and Yankees, or when the Mets and Jets were first created. To me, being a Giants-Yankees fan has become less automatic for younger generations because the Mets and Jets are now about 50 years old.

I can't say why some are Yankees-Jets fans, but I know why I'm a Giants-Mets fan. First, they were both good in the 80s when I was growing up (Giant fan since '84, Mets since '83). Second, they wear similar colors. Third, they are both in the National Conference whereas Yankees and Jets are in the American Conference. Fourth, I test-marketed the Yankees and Jets and remember being bored watching them both. (The yankees in the '81 WS, and the Jets when my dad had them on).

All-Pro

Re: Yankees-Jets fans

I dont have a problem with Giants-Mets fans at all, being a Giants Yankees fan. Its those Giants-Red Sox fans that piss me off. That is ridiculous. You CAN NOT like one team from NY and one from Boston, its just imposible.

[quote user="Jack Robinson"]

So here's what I'm thinkin about today. Some people on this board who are Giants-Yankees fans have a lame problem with us Giants fans who are also Mets fans. Thing is, I also happen to know a lot of Yankees-Jets fans. In fact, my dad and brother in law happen to be Yankees-Jets fans. A few of my friends are as well.

Seems a lot of people who are bitter toward Giant fans being Met fans use the whole traditional teams argument, yet they never acknowlege the fact that there another group of fans who also go Yankees-Jets (ew).

Personally, I'm not old enough to have been a NY sports fan when it was only the Giants and Yankees, or when the Mets and Jets were first created. To me, being a Giants-Yankees fan has become less automatic for younger generations because the Mets and Jets are now about 50 years old.

I can't say why some are Yankees-Jets fans, but I know why I'm a Giants-Mets fan. First, they were both good in the 80s when I was growing up (Giant fan since '84, Mets since '83). Second, they wear similar colors. Third, they are both in the National Conference whereas Yankees and Jets are in the American Conference. Fourth, I test-marketed the Yankees and Jets and remember being bored watching them both. (The yankees in the '81 WS, and the Jets when my dad had them on).

[/quote]

If I've ever offended you, I apologize....I don't have an issue with Mets fans.

My issue with the Jets as an organization and/or her fans is the perception that comes with the Jets.

to the point, the combination of Inferiority Complex + Sheer Arrogance....it's like the cowboys lite.

this is the United States of America, a person can root for any team that wish to.

I don't doubt the 80s brought many bandwagon fans of the Mets onboard, I DON"T doubt the 90s doing the same for the Yanks....but what starts as bandwagoning has the potential to become pure and real.

All I ask for is steadiness, that is to say: stick by your "team" no matter what. please don't flock to the jets because their coach is a tub and you think their QB is dreamy; only to "return" to Big Blue when the bottom falls out.

[quote user="TuckYou"]I dont have a problem with Giants-Mets fans at
    all, being a Giants Yankees fan. Its those Giants-Red Sox fans that piss
    me off. That is ridiculous. You CAN NOT like one team from NY and one
    from Boston, its just imposible.[/quote]

[:P]

oh, leave Morehead and RBCarp alone......they're people too

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

And here we have it folks. On # 1 Giants forum in the world. Dumb *** Yankees, and Jets conversations.

Hey guy who made this thread who cares???????????

[/quote]

Any one that has been around a while remembers the expansion teams of the 1960s and there were a ton of them. The Mets filled the void of the 1950's desertion of the Dodgers and the Giants (check the Metropolitans (AKA Mets) colors dodger blue and Giants' black and orange). They were horrific when they started and the Dodger and Giant fans that this team was to placate were not impressed and most had converted to Yankee fans, hence no one liked the Mets until there unprobable WS victory in 1969. For the Jets they played in the AFL, at the time a much weaker league which started in 1960 (for like the fifth time) and many people were just plain skeptical. In addition look at the Yankees and Giants of the early 1960s they were two dominant teams and few would change there allegiance from a winner to a loser. Enter the mid 60's to the mid 70's and you will see that both the Giants and the Yankees performance slipped dramatically and with the emergence of the Mets and Jets in the late 60s many jumped from the Yankees and Giants and many younger kids just growing up went with the then winners as well. It has made for a great rivalry (subway series etc). I have a number of friends that are Giants-Mets, Yankees-Jets, and yes a few delusional (tongue in cheek) Jets-Mets fans. I find it great fun when both season's are going in September when we get together to watch a Giant's game and poke fun at the Mets fans as there team slides into oblivion as the season closes (isn't that the way it always happens). Love the rivalry....Chaos!!

Hmmm... I was unaware of this hatred towards us Giants/Mets fans. I am saddened by this news.

For me, it was quite easy. I come from a deep family heritage of staunch Giants fans and was born with a Giants hat on. I grew up in Flushing Queens, walking distance from Shea Stadium. During my youth, Shea Stadium was my second home. And that is my story of how I became a Giants/Mets fan.

[quote user="giantyankee1976"][quote user="Jack Robinson"]

[/quote]

If I've ever offended you, I apologize....I don't have an issue with Mets fans.

My issue with the Jets as an organization and/or her fans is the perception that comes with the Jets.

to the point, the combination of Inferiority Complex + Sheer Arrogance....it's like the cowboys lite.

this is the United States of America, a person can root for any team that wish to.

I don't doubt the 80s brought many bandwagon fans of the Mets onboard, I DON"T doubt the 90s doing the same for the Yanks....but what starts as bandwagoning has the potential to become pure and real.

All I ask for is steadiness, that is to say: stick by your "team" no matter what. please don't flock to the jets because their coach is a tub and you think their QB is dreamy; only to "return" to Big Blue when the bottom falls out.

[quote user="TuckYou"]I dont have a problem with Giants-Mets fans at all, being a Giants Yankees fan. Its those Giants-Red Sox fans that piss me off. That is ridiculous. You CAN NOT like one team from NY and one from Boston, its just imposible.[/quote]

[:P]

oh, leave Morehead and RBCarp alone......they're people too

[/quote]

I didn't have any particular Giants-Yankee fan in mind writing this, and I wouldn't remember if you said anything about it anyway.

Agreed on the stick to your team thing. I don't know that I was a bandwagoner because the '83 mets weren't very good and its hard to bandwagon when you're that young. Like the Giants, they started getting good in '84. Became a Giant fan in '84 when Simms had his 4000 yard season.

[quote user="Faulkner"]And here we have it folks. On # 1 Giants forum in the world. Dumb *** Yankees, and Jets conversations.

Hey guy who made this thread who cares???????????

[/quote]

I'll translate this for anyone who finds this morons font not big enough:

"I NEED ATTENTION. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME."

All-Pro

I think Met fans have more isssues with yankee fans. As a Yankee fanI think the Mets have a nice club.

Veteran

[/quote]

Lol, I just met someone on Friday who is a Jets-Yankees fan. A rarity indeed but not non-existant. I would say Giants-Mets fans are more common though than Jets-Yankees fans.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35