+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Differences Between Timmy Jernigan and Aaron Donald?

It seemed that Jernigan was the consensus #1 DT prospect a few weeks back. What happened that has made everyone want Donald? Is anyone still on the Jernigan bandwagon? Who do they both compare to NFL wise?

They are definitely going in opposite directions.

I thought that Jernigan looked pretty poor at the combine -- just the way he ran the 40 made me cringe.

The other night I heard Charlie Casserly who I do respect say that Jernigan is a 2nd round type talent --- that surprised me.

I had been poo-pooing the notion of taking Donald at #12 for months and to be honest I never looked at any of his tape because I just thought he was too small / prone to injury because of that.

Then I looked at his +10 minute highlight package and man the kid can get into the backfield.

Right now -- I'd be very comfortable picking him at #12 and keeping him fresh in a solid rotation with Hank/Jennings/Kuhn/Patterson?

It may not be the best comparison but the first player that flashed to my mind watching the Donald tape was Warren Sapp.

He didn't look as small as he is listed (288?) and his arms looked really long.

He is very explosive - relentless.

Jernigan=stout. Donald=explosive.

Jernigan isn't dropping but rather Donald rising because of his incredible show of athleticism at the combine. It was 1 of the best shows ever for a DT.

Jernigan will still make someone happy, I just think at 12 it is a slight reach. He should go around 20 is my guess. He really does have the best hands of any DT in this group. FSU had him playing out of position in 2013 at nose tackle. If you go back to 2012 and see him at the 3 tech, you see a lot of good stuff.

Donald just flies off the tape.. Very explosive.. Jernigan is meh to me

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Jernigan isn't dropping but rather Donald rising because of his incredible show of athleticism at the combine. It was 1 of the best shows ever for a DT.

Jernigan will still make someone happy, I just think at 12 it is a slight reach. He should go around 20 is my guess. He really does have the best hands of any DT in this group. FSU had him playing out of position in 2013 at nose tackle. If you go back to 2012 and see him at the 3 tech, you see a lot of good stuff.
    I would agree. Jernigan was so disruptive last year. I think he absolutely has an ability to get upfield. He still played well this year too including the championship game.

I think it's foolish to hold 40 times against a DT. At this point, I'm just hoping Dallas doesn't get him.

Donald is Dontarious Poe but just as good on tape as he was at the combine. He should be picked around 10-15. He wont get past Cowboys at 16.

Jernigan was a stud on the field, but to me looks like he didnt prepare enough for the combine. It might be though because of what we all saw with Donald. Jernigan is still a solid option for DT though. If we traded back and took him in the 20s, Id be ok with it.

the only thing that makes me wonder is, will Donald be able to handle the bigger and stronger interior linemen in the NFL? I know size isnt everything, but I think Donald may have to add some weight and work hard in the weight room.
    One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them--Jack Lengyel Marshall University

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    I would agree. Jernigan was so disruptive last year. I think he absolutely has an ability to get upfield. He still played well this year too including the championship game.

I think it's foolish to hold 40 times against a DT. At this point, I'm just hoping Dallas doesn't get him.
    If your 40 yard comment was directed at my post -- I never said anything about his time.

It was the way he ran -- he didn't look like an athlete. I realize that he is a very good prospect but I really just didn't like the way he ran structurally.