+ Reply to Thread

GiantPride's Mock... What do you think?

Round 1: Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt - Great Athlete that Provides Pressure up the Middle! Will take protection away from JPP, Kiwi and Moore. Hankins is a big boy who eats up blockers to keep them off the LBs and defend against the run but doesn’t have the quickness that is required to shoot the gaps and get to the QB like Donald. Put them together and you have a very potent DT tandem. I’ll take the best D-Tackle (2nd best DLmen) in the class to go along with our solid starter of the future any day!

Round 2: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington – Fits the Giants TE Prototype. Massive dude with nasty streak while blocking (if not the most technically sound). Huge mismatch in the receiving game especially in the red zone. Potential to be a top blocker and Receiver. Will help Eli as a Comfort Blanket and improve the run game with his inline blocking. I feel that a TE like this is more important to the NYG than a TE like Ebron who is a Receiver First and foremost

Round 3: Demarcus Lawrence, DE/OLB, Boise State – Could be the Gem of the draft. Great pass rusher to develop in the Giants Rotation with JPP, Moore, and Kiwi. 10.5 sacks last season and 20.5 TFL! Could use some more Bulk on his frame, but still has good size at 6’3’’ 242lbs. Double Dip on the DL in the first 3 rounds to solidify the front 7. Can stand up and rush in 3rd down passing situations to give pressure coming from EVERYWHERE!! With the improvements made to the Secondary and Resigning Beason and signing McClain (to give the giants the most solid LB corp they have had since Pierce/Boley)… Suring up the DL should be a priority.

Round 4: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers – Still Need offensive playmakers. ASJ helps some lost production. Coleman is a big bodied receiver who can go up and get the ball. Runs very well after the catch for a guy his size (19 ypr for a career). Smart kid with high football IQ. (CRUZ, RR, Coleman)

Round 5: Bryan Stork, C, Florida State – Very Experienced player (rSr) on a very productive team. Big Boy at 6’4’’ 315lbs. Great Pedigree – Rimington Trophy winner. Played against top competition and dominated and was a leader. I like the JDW signing but getting a young guy in there to push him and at worst end up backing him up is a good move. Competition breeds excellence. I think he is a real steal in the later rounds.

Round 6: Michael Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest – This may be higher than he is projected but it’s a selfish pick ill admit. I watched a lot of Camps games over the last two years and was extremely impressed. Built in a thicker Wes Welker frame and with better athleticism. Very quick and fast but also runs excellent routes, especially out of the slot. Also an extremely solidly built and compact runner, very strong (20 reps at 225lbs). With the ball in his hands he looks more like a RB than a WR with decent wiggle and good power. Explosive off the line and extremely intelligent football player. Always knows the situation and where the markers are.

Summary:
    DT – TE – DE – WR – C – WR
    Filled a lot of holes with the BPA. Solidified the DL that lost a solid DT and a DE that was an Aging Leader (Joseph/Tuck). Defense looks nasty with LB Corp and Secondary via FA and DL via Draft. Need at TE filled with the best prospect for the Giants style. Helped the run blocking and Pass game with TE pickup. NEEDED more WR help. Got a big bodied “go up and get it” style WR and a Shift quick Slot style WR to compete for the #3 spot with JJ and Mario (personally my money would be on one of the rookies). In FA Reese did a good job picking up a lot of OL help(and we needed it) but the nations best collegiate Center to compete, back up, or possibly start is a good move.

What do you guys think?

Your rd1 and rd2 picks are as good as it can get for me in the draft. I like Lawrence too and he would give us a hell of a DL rotation with JPP/Moore/Lawrence/Kiwi/Donald/Jenkins/Hankins. Coleman is a guy who has the same potential as Kelvin Benjamin, in my opinion, and he would not be rushed into a big role with Manningham being brought back for a year. Stork gives us good center depth and insurance if Walton does not play well. Do not know much about Campanaro.

I like this draft a lot man. Very good work.

Really like 1-3! Donald is a monster, ASJ is a big target at a position of a big need, and Lawrence I mocked to us recently too... He could be considered a tweeter but his frame could allow him to easily add 10 lbs to be a for sure DE.

4-5 is solid... Coleman could be a beast for Ramses 2.0 though.. Stork is a nice 5th round pick too

Campanaro in the 6th is not a bad pick either

Overall a solid mock man!

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

I can't argue with Donald mocks. I don't necessarily agree that Donald is the best way to go, given Hankins and Jenkins both being on the roster, but I wouldn't complain if Donald actually was taken by us at #12.

Love the ASJ pick, although my personal preference in the 2nd is Crichton. Although, given Crichton's more recent ascent in draft stock, might want to trade lower somehow and take him later in the 1st, and ASJ in the 2nd. I'd say getting a good three-down defensive end FAR outweighs the need for a DT, to the point that if he continues to improve on the boards overall, Crichton would actually overtake Donald as a #12 pick, just by virtue of need.

Lawrence i'm not too keen on. Sounds like a Moore redux. Can be useful (like Moore), but essentially a situational pass rusher. I'd rather have the All-around DE in Crichton than just a pass rusher.

Like the Coleman and Stork picks (though I'd rather go with Swanson at C in the 3rd and Coleman in the 5th, since I think he will still be there). Never heard of Campanaro before...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I can't argue with Donald mocks. I don't necessarily agree that Donald is the best way to go, given Hankins and Jenkins both being on the roster, but I wouldn't complain if Donald actually was taken by us at #12.

Love the ASJ pick, although my personal preference in the 2nd is Crichton. Although, given Crichton's more recent ascent in draft stock, might want to trade lower somehow and take him later in the 1st, and ASJ in the 2nd. I'd say getting a good three-down defensive end FAR outweighs the need for a DT, to the point that if he continues to improve on the boards overall, Crichton would actually overtake Donald as a #12 pick, just by virtue of need.

Lawrence i'm not too keen on. Sounds like a Moore redux. Can be useful (like Moore), but essentially a situational pass rusher. I'd rather have the All-around DE in Crichton than just a pass rusher.

Like the Coleman and Stork picks (though I'd rather go with Swanson at C in the 3rd and Coleman in the 5th, since I think he will still be there). Never heard of Campanaro before...
    Crichton is the better overall player but i would rather get a starting TE in the second and a rotational DE in the third than a rotational DE in the 2nd and a backup/project TE later in the draft.