+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Bench Player

Packer fan/shareholder here.

First off, I want to say congrats on your team's late season surge. I was happy to see you win the NFC East over Dallas and Philly. Your win over Atlanta last week was also very impressive. We ended that "Matty Ice" crap with that beat-down last year (especially Williams' pick-6 before half), and you guys further buried it last week. Well done.

I'm not going to lie: the Giants are a formidable opponent for the Green Bay Packers. You have the best d-line in the playoffs, multiple solid WRs, a great RB combo, and a QB that is playing good ball. You also have a good mix of veteran leadership and youthful enthusiasm. I've enjoyed watching them play.

That said, this Packers team may be the most disrespected defending champ that I have ever seen. We're coming off a 15-1 regular season, which is the best record a defending championship team has ever posted. Rodgers is playing the QB position as well as anyone has ever played it. We have a outstanding group of WRs. And while our defense gives up yards, it still has a number of playmakers (e.g., CMIII, Woodson, etc.), is opportunistic (i.e., forces turnovers), and is usually stingy in the red zone. On top of all of that, we have home field advantage. With all of that in mind, I like our chances.

Keys to the game:

1) Turnovers. The Packers' defensive success depends on whether we get turnovers. We don't mind giving up the yards, as long as we get turnovers in the process. It is not a coincidence that the Packers' only loss this year came in a game in which they defense did not cause a single turnover. We must force turnovers to win the game. On the other hand, it's going to be tough for the Giants to win a game if they lose the turnover battle. The Packers just don't turn it over much.

2) Packers' offensive line vs. Giants' defensive line. Both of these units are getting healthy at the right time, so this should be interesting. Green Bay's o-line is generally underrated. When they are healthy, they are a solid group. Clifton and Bulaga are dependable tackles, and Sitton is one of the best guards in football. Well has been a rock at center. One issue I have had is that when a guy is having an off day, the Packers seem reluctant to give him help. We'll see if that trend continues, should someone have a bad day. Meanwhile, the Giants' defensive line is STACKED. But the key isn't just pressuring Rodgers; they will have to put him on the ground in order to have any success. Consider Rodgers' play over the Packers current run of 21-1. Plenty of teams have put pressure on him (e.g., Falcons in the playoffs last year), the problem is that he is one of the best at escaping pressure, and he is honestly the most accurate QB that I have ever seen on move. If the Packers can protect Rodgers and he has time, watch out...the Giants secondary will have a long day.

3) Special teams play. Crosby and Tynes are both solid kickers, but I'll give the edge to Crosby. Masthay (Packers' punter) has been a great player for the Packers. He was critical to our run last year, and he has been solid this entire year. He has played at an pro bowl level. With Cobb, the Packers march into the playoffs with the best special teams weapon that they've fielded since Desmond Howard. The kid is a rookie, so he will make the occasional rookie mistake (e.g., not make the fair catch call when it is the smart thing to do), but overall, Cobb has been an outstanding addition to the Packers (even as the #4/5 WR). He has the ability to take one to the house at any given point. As far as coverage, we were NOT good last year, but for the most part, I think the Packers ST units have been solid this year. I'll be honest: I don't know much about the Giants' ST units. I welcome your take.

4) Finley (Packers' TE). He has an arrogance to him that rubs some people the wrong way, and recently he has had a case of the dropsies. However, when this guy balls, he is an absolute nightmare. You can't single cover him with a LB, CB, or S, because he represents such a difficult matchup. Thus, you typically see his man receive help from the safety, which opens things up for the others. For this reason, his effect isn't always evident by this stats. If he suffers from the case of the dropsies on Sunday, though, it can be a major problem for the Packers. His drops have killed many drives this season.

5) Giants' ability to run. I know that the Giants rank towards the bottom of the league in rushing, but I'm not buying it. You're brining a healthy Jacobs & Bradshaw to the party, so I fully expect you all to try to establish the run. The Packers must be able to stop it with their front 7 and leave the safeties available to defend the pass. The Packers should benefit from the return of Bishop and Hawk (more so Bishop, because Smith & Francois are playmaking backups in Hawk's absence). I'm also looking for Raji, Pickett, and Green to accept the challenge that the Giants' rushing attack presents. If the Packers' front-7 can't handle it, and they are forced to drop a safety at times, I expect Eli to take advantage.

6) Red Zone success. The Packers can put up a lot of points, and in order to keep up, the Giants will have to put 7s on the board instead of 3s. And while the Packers' defense has given up a lot of yards, they have been fairly successful in the redzone. Their redzone play & turnovers are the reason they rank in the middle of the league in points allowed, while they rank dead last in yards. It is a bend but don't break attitude.

Overall, my prediction is that Rodgers go into beast mode, and Manning struggles to keep up. It is fairly close going into the 4th, but then Rodgers & Co. put it away. Woodson & Clay make some key big plays on defense.

Packers 38
    Giants 27

Good luck, guys. Nice forum.

Re: Packer fan/shareholder here.

[quote user="barrister"]First off, I want to say congrats on your team's late season surge. I was happy to see you win the NFC East over Dallas and Philly. Your win over Atlanta last week was also very impressive. We ended that "Matty Ice" crap with that beat-down last year (especially Williams' pick-6 before half), and you guys further buried it last week. Well done. I'm not going to lie: the Giants are a formidable opponent for the Green Bay Packers. You have the best d-line in the playoffs, multiple solid WRs, a great RB combo, and a QB that is playing good ball. You also have a good mix of veteran leadership and youthful enthusiasm. I've enjoyed watching them play. That said, this Packers team may be the most disrespected defending champ that I have ever seen. We're coming off a 15-1 regular season, which is the best record a defending championship team has ever posted. Rodgers is playing the QB position as well as anyone has ever played it. We have a outstanding group of WRs. And while our defense gives up yards, it still has a number of playmakers (e.g., CMIII, Woodson, etc.), is opportunistic (i.e., forces turnovers), and is usually stingy in the red zone. On top of all of that, we have home field advantage. With all of that in mind, I like our chances. Keys to the game: 1) Turnovers. The Packers' defensive success depends on whether we get turnovers. We don't mind giving up the yards, as long as we get turnovers in the process. It is not a coincidence that the Packers' only loss this year came in a game in which they defense did not cause a single turnover. We must force turnovers to win the game. On the other hand, it's going to be tough for the Giants to win a game if they lose the turnover battle. The Packers just don't turn it over much. 2) Packers' offensive line vs. Giants' defensive line. Both of these units are getting healthy at the right time, so this should be interesting. Green Bay's o-line is generally underrated. When they are healthy, they are a solid group. Clifton and Bulaga are dependable tackles, and Sitton is one of the best guards in football. Well has been a rock at center. One issue I have had is that when a guy is having an off day, the Packers seem reluctant to give him help. We'll see if that trend continues, should someone have a bad day. Meanwhile, the Giants' defensive line is STACKED. But the key isn't just pressuring Rodgers; they will have to put him on the ground in order to have any success. Consider Rodgers' play over the Packers current run of 21-1. Plenty of teams have put pressure on him (e.g., Falcons in the playoffs last year), the problem is that he is one of the best at escaping pressure, and he is honestly the most accurate QB that I have ever seen on move. If the Packers can protect Rodgers and he has time, watch out...the Giants secondary will have a long day. 3) Special teams play. Crosby and Tynes are both solid kickers, but I'll give the edge to Crosby. Masthay (Packers' punter) has been a great player for the Packers. He was critical to our run last year, and he has been solid this entire year. He has played at an pro bowl level. With Cobb, the Packers march into the playoffs with the best special teams weapon that they've fielded since Desmond Howard. The kid is a rookie, so he will make the occasional rookie mistake (e.g., not make the fair catch call when it is the smart thing to do), but overall, Cobb has been an outstanding addition to the Packers (even as the #4/5 WR). He has the ability to take one to the house at any given point. As far as coverage, we were NOT good last year, but for the most part, I think the Packers ST units have been solid this year. I'll be honest: I don't know much about the Giants' ST units. I welcome your take. 4) Finley (Packers' TE). He has an arrogance to him that rubs some people the wrong way, and recently he has had a case of the dropsies. However, when this guy balls, he is an absolute nightmare. You can't single cover him with a LB, CB, or S, because he represents such a difficult matchup. Thus, you typically see his man receive help from the safety, which opens things up for the others. For this reason, his effect isn't always evident by this stats. If he suffers from the case of the dropsies on Sunday, though, it can be a major problem for the Packers. His drops have killed many drives this season. 5) Giants' ability to run. I know that the Giants rank towards the bottom of the league in rushing, but I'm not buying it. You're brining a healthy Jacobs & Bradshaw to the party, so I fully expect you all to try to establish the run. The Packers must be able to stop it with their front 7 and leave the safeties available to defend the pass. The Packers should benefit from the return of Bishop and Hawk (more so Bishop, because Smith & Francois are playmaking backups in Hawk's absence). I'm also looking for Raji, Pickett, and Green to accept the challenge that the Giants' rushing attack presents. If the Packers' front-7 can't handle it, and they are forced to drop a safety at times, I expect Eli to take advantage. 6) Red Zone success. The Packers can put up a lot of points, and in order to keep up, the Giants will have to put 7s on the board instead of 3s. And while the Packers' defense has given up a lot of yards, they have been fairly successful in the redzone. Their redzone play & turnovers are the reason they rank in the middle of the league in points allowed, while they rank dead last in yards. It is a bend but don't break attitude. Overall, my prediction is that Rodgers go into beast mode, and Manning struggles to keep up. It is fairly close going into the 4th, but then Rodgers & Co. put it away. Woodson & Clay make some key big plays on defense. Packers 38 Giants 27 Good luck, guys. Nice forum.[/quote]

This is a very good, objective post.

One thing that I think that you left out though is the recent resurgence of the Giants D. I don't think that they will shut Rodgers down by any means -- but I think that they will do a better job than they did last game.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the game goes the way that you predict.

[quote user="barrister"]First off, I want to say congrats on your team's late season surge. I was happy to see you win the NFC East over Dallas and Philly. Your win over Atlanta last week was also very impressive. We ended that "Matty Ice" crap with that beat-down last year (especially Williams' pick-6 before half), and you guys further buried it last week. Well done. I'm not going to lie: the Giants are a formidable opponent for the Green Bay Packers. You have the best d-line in the playoffs, multiple solid WRs, a great RB combo, and a QB that is playing good ball. You also have a good mix of veteran leadership and youthful enthusiasm. I've enjoyed watching them play. That said, this Packers team may be the most disrespected defending champ that I have ever seen. We're coming off a 15-1 regular season, which is the best record a defending championship team has ever posted. Rodgers is playing the QB position as well as anyone has ever played it. We have a outstanding group of WRs. And while our defense gives up yards, it still has a number of playmakers (e.g., CMIII, Woodson, etc.), is opportunistic (i.e., forces turnovers), and is usually stingy in the red zone. On top of all of that, we have home field advantage. With all of that in mind, I like our chances. Keys to the game: 1) Turnovers. The Packers' defensive success depends on whether we get turnovers. We don't mind giving up the yards, as long as we get turnovers in the process. It is not a coincidence that the Packers' only loss this year came in a game in which they defense did not cause a single turnover. We must force turnovers to win the game. On the other hand, it's going to be tough for the Giants to win a game if they lose the turnover battle. The Packers just don't turn it over much. 2) Packers' offensive line vs. Giants' defensive line. Both of these units are getting healthy at the right time, so this should be interesting. Green Bay's o-line is generally underrated. When they are healthy, they are a solid group. Clifton and Bulaga are dependable tackles, and Sitton is one of the best guards in football. Well has been a rock at center. One issue I have had is that when a guy is having an off day, the Packers seem reluctant to give him help. We'll see if that trend continues, should someone have a bad day. Meanwhile, the Giants' defensive line is STACKED. But the key isn't just pressuring Rodgers; they will have to put him on the ground in order to have any success. Consider Rodgers' play over the Packers current run of 21-1. Plenty of teams have put pressure on him (e.g., Falcons in the playoffs last year), the problem is that he is one of the best at escaping pressure, and he is honestly the most accurate QB that I have ever seen on move. If the Packers can protect Rodgers and he has time, watch out...the Giants secondary will have a long day. 3) Special teams play. Crosby and Tynes are both solid kickers, but I'll give the edge to Crosby. Masthay (Packers' punter) has been a great player for the Packers. He was critical to our run last year, and he has been solid this entire year. He has played at an pro bowl level. With Cobb, the Packers march into the playoffs with the best special teams weapon that they've fielded since Desmond Howard. The kid is a rookie, so he will make the occasional rookie mistake (e.g., not make the fair catch call when it is the smart thing to do), but overall, Cobb has been an outstanding addition to the Packers (even as the #4/5 WR). He has the ability to take one to the house at any given point. As far as coverage, we were NOT good last year, but for the most part, I think the Packers ST units have been solid this year. I'll be honest: I don't know much about the Giants' ST units. I welcome your take. 4) Finley (Packers' TE). He has an arrogance to him that rubs some people the wrong way, and recently he has had a case of the dropsies. However, when this guy balls, he is an absolute nightmare. You can't single cover him with a LB, CB, or S, because he represents such a difficult matchup. Thus, you typically see his man receive help from the safety, which opens things up for the others. For this reason, his effect isn't always evident by this stats. If he suffers from the case of the dropsies on Sunday, though, it can be a major problem for the Packers. His drops have killed many drives this season. 5) Giants' ability to run. I know that the Giants rank towards the bottom of the league in rushing, but I'm not buying it. You're brining a healthy Jacobs & Bradshaw to the party, so I fully expect you all to try to establish the run. The Packers must be able to stop it with their front 7 and leave the safeties available to defend the pass. The Packers should benefit from the return of Bishop and Hawk (more so Bishop, because Smith & Francois are playmaking backups in Hawk's absence). I'm also looking for Raji, Pickett, and Green to accept the challenge that the Giants' rushing attack presents. If the Packers' front-7 can't handle it, and they are forced to drop a safety at times, I expect Eli to take advantage. 6) Red Zone success. The Packers can put up a lot of points, and in order to keep up, the Giants will have to put 7s on the board instead of 3s. And while the Packers' defense has given up a lot of yards, they have been fairly successful in the redzone. Their redzone play & turnovers are the reason they rank in the middle of the league in points allowed, while they rank dead last in yards. It is a bend but don't break attitude. Overall, my prediction is that Rodgers go into beast mode, and Manning struggles to keep up. It is fairly close going into the 4th, but then Rodgers & Co. put it away. Woodson & Clay make some key big plays on defense. Packers 38 Giants 27 Good luck, guys. Nice forum.[/quote]

You have yet to explain how your secondary will stop our wr's?

And you say Rogers will go into beast mode, last time I checked Eli has been in beast mode for majority of the season.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Bench Player

I'll openly admit that the Giants WRs are excellent. Nicks is a BEAST, and Cruz has been a pleasant surprise for you all.

As for the Packers' pass D, the problem hasn't necessarily been our CB play; it has been the lack of pressure on the QB. A team can have the best CBs in football, but if you don't get good pressure on the QB, they will look quite average out there. The Packers are no different. They have struggled to get pressure on the opposing QB all season long. Hopefully Capers comes up with a plan to change that this week. We need to find a way to get Clay in the backfield. He's been putting pressures on the QBs, but his sack numbers are definitely down. The rest has been critical for him.

I don't see Eli having a choker. He'll probably put up around 300 yards/2 TDs. I think we get some key pressure on him, though, to force a couple turnovers.

I think we win the turnover battle by 2, and that will be one of the keys to victory.

[quote user="ny06"]And you say Rogers will go in beast mode, last time I checked Eli has been in beast mode for majority of the season.[/quote]

No, what he means is the NFL record setting 122 QB rating Rodgers had during the entire season is just normal Aaron Rodgers. I know right? That's the very definition of beast mode. But it's not. That's just Aaron Rodgers.

Now he goes into beast mode.

Thanks for your predictions. Green Bay fans are a very good bunch.

Veteran

As much as I want to bash you, I can't argue with a logical levelheaded poster.

Hope your wrong regarding the final score, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did go that way.

I wouldn't be surprised if we win 21-7 or if the Packers win 31-0 so basically this game really won't surprise me at all.

[quote user="barrister"]I'll openly admit that the Giants WRs are excellent. Nicks is a BEAST, and Cruz has been a pleasant surprise for you all. As for the Packers' pass D, the problem hasn't necessarily been our CB play; it has been the lack of pressure on the QB. A team can have the best CBs in football, but if you don't get good pressure on the QB, they will look quite average out there. The Packers are no different. They have struggled to get pressure on the opposing QB all season long. Hopefully Capers comes up with a plan to change that this week. We need to find a way to get Clay in the backfield. He's been putting pressures on the QBs, but his sack numbers are definitely down. The rest has been critical for him. I don't see Eli having a choker. He'll probably put up around 300 yards/2 TDs. I think we get some key pressure on him, though, to force a couple turnovers. I think we win the turnover battle by 2, and that will be one of the keys to victory.[/quote]

I feel you guys will not be able to stop our 3 wr's Nicks,Cruz and Manningham.

Like you said, good pressure will make any secondary look good.

That's our weakness, our tackles get beat by speed rushers.

Also we have been running the ball real well as of late (about time) how do you guys fair against the run? If we are able to run for success it will make our passing attack more dangerous.

Last time we played you guys our defense was an utter joke, mostly cause of the injuries we have faced on defense.

But I like how the defense has been playing as of late, the d-line is playing attack mode. And our secondary is playing much better.

The main concern I have is you guys have so many weapons on the receiving game. You're tightend is a wr in a tightends body, Jennings and Driver are solid, and Nelson who has been under the radar is a real good player.

All in all it will be a great game.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Bench Player

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]Thanks for your predictions. Green Bay fans are a very good bunch.[/quote]

better than Atlanta fans right? Those guys are some fools.

27-20 Giants

My reasoning? No one will stop JPP.