+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jerry Reeses Pieces....and ME CONSTANTLY DAWGING him

For a couple years now, Ive dawged the guy constantly. Some of it, rightly so, others, not so much. Prior to FA starting, I was willing to allow him a "one more shot" reprieve (for my own sake of course and I kind of started to feel bad for the things Ive said).

I have a tendency to believe that I know better, part of it because of my prior work in the industry, another part due to my EGO; never caring about the FACT that no matter how long Ive done the "scouting thing", JR has done it longer and has been around some great minds; and therefore, the comparison is slim to none, he beats me in that aspect, its no comp. Im sure Im not the only one. There are guys in the industry that have a tendency to believe this, and they put their names on it (see the NY POST and some twiiter feeds, its quite funny at times)

Part of the realization came about when I thought about JR being fired (after this season) and the possibility that he may succeed outside of the NY Gants, and it got me thinking. Now, while JR is the guy who makes the final call on draft day; not the owners, coaches or anyone else for that matter, he still gets most (and nearly all) of his scouting and info from those beneath him and makes the final call from their. Its possible, and we may never know for sure, that the info he has been getting could be the reason why his drafts haven't panned out as well as we originally thought or hoped for, and thats part of why Ive decided to give him a break.

As for the statement about him making the final call and not the owners, I believe that and the only time the owners approval would be required (and Im talking about the draft here, not FA) is if he were to do something quite drastic: if he plans on drafting a QB in the first, trading up quite high to take a player or even trade completely out of the first round. Even in these instances, Im certain that the discussion, of these scenarios, has already taken place. As with all teams, there are always several scenarios drawn up in preparation to the draft. Basically, thats the only scenarios I can see, where JR would require some type of approval.

Now on to my point and that is, so far, Ive been quite happy with the way FA has gone. Guys I wanted to return, have returned (LJ return was never an option to me once 2013 season started and no contract extension was done). Guys I wanted to sign, have signed (with some exceptions) and Ive been quite impressed with JR overall this offseason and even though these guys have yet to play a snap for us in 2014, I feel confident that the right moves were made so far. After all, FA is not over and the draft is still quite a ways away. The team is NOT done filling its holes and improving the team. Anther thing Ive been impressed with, is the Giants caution in extending certain players (like Rolle/ELI) and knowing that it would be wise to wait on these guys and I applaud them for that.

Now lets hope they dont ruin all this good work by drafting projects this year or doing something rash via ROLLE/ELI

Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurio View Post
    JR is the GIANTS GM as TC is the coach and Eli is the QB. Support them.
    Couldn't have said it better.

I'm willing to give him another chance since I have no choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Montemayor View Post
    Amen.

3 UNC guys in your MOCK makes me HAPPY!

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Eli View Post
    3 UNC guys in your MOCK makes me HAPPY!
    I know right! lol. They're great depth signings IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurio View Post
    JR is the GIANTS GM as TC is the coach and Eli is the QB. Support them.
    Couldn't have said it better.

He deserved all the credit for getting us into position to win 2 Super Bowls.
    He deserved all the criticism for have 5 years of really weak drafts and WAY too many "smartest guy in the room" project picks in the draft.
    He deserves all the credit for a very smart, laser like and cap friendly overhaul of a decent chunk of our roster this off season.

I am not sure why people can't just evaluate based on facts rather than always trashing or giving him a free pass.
    No one is perfect.

Go Blue!!
    No one remembers who came in second.

Just a thought. Do the coaches have the time anymore to turn a project into a player? What with the limited practice time they get, perhaps there simply isn't time like there used to be?
    Do not feed the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Just a thought. Do the coaches have the time anymore to turn a project into a player? What with the limited practice time they get, perhaps there simply isn't time like there used to be?
    Yes but you make a good point I have thought about often. I remember hearing last year how many practices there actually are with contact. It was something crazy like 18 including training camp. Projects can be parked somewhere on the roster so long as they can help on ST and as long as there are only a few of them.

JR found out the hard way that there is no room on a roster for a punter who is a project. (there's simply nowhere to hide him)
    You can always park an OL or DL or WR somewhere because there are plenty of them on the roster and they aren't being counted on too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    He deserved all the credit for getting us into position to win 2 Super Bowls.
    He deserved all the criticism for have 5 years of really weak drafts and WAY too many "smartest guy in the room" project picks in the draft.
    He deserves all the credit for a very smart, laser like and cap friendly overhaul of a decent chunk of our roster this off season.

I am not sure why people can't just evaluate based on facts rather than always trashing or giving him a free pass.
    No one is perfect.

Go Blue!!
    The 07 roster was mostly EA picks. The 2011 Roster was mostly Reese picks.

The facts are that over 5 years he is statistically one of the worse drafters in the NFL and that is the most important piece of a successful team. A few signings in FA doesn't make up for wasting picks on guys like Nassib, Robinson, Petrus, Goff...

He gets no credit for this FA season until it shows that these guys are worth their price tags and this is a much better team than last year. Not one of these guys is a blue chip signing and they could all flop as easily as they could all work out.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlooded1979 View Post
    The 07 roster was mostly EA picks. The 2011 Roster was mostly Reese picks.

The facts are that over 5 years he is statistically one of the worse drafters in the NFL and that is the most important piece of a successful team. A few signings in FA doesn't make up for wasting picks on guys like Nassib, Robinson, Petrus, Goff...

He gets no credit for this FA season until it shows that these guys are worth their price tags and this is a much better team than last year. Not one of these guys is a blue chip signing and they could all flop as easily as they could all work out.
    What you seem to be saying is..........."once I see how these offseason additions work out, I'll let you know what I think."
    Ah, hindsight is a beautiful thing. I'll bet you are right 100% of the time.

So, let us know about your evaluation of JR's additions this off season right now.
    Last edited by jomo; 03-23-2014 at 09:05 AM.