+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
Results 201 to 205 of 205

Thread: nothing is impossible... David Wilson

  1. #201
    All-Pro B&RWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    7,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    .........and I thought I argued about stupid stuff......
    It'a a message board dedicated to a sport that none of us get paid to play, watch or discuss. It's built and thrives on frivolous debate.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

  2. #202
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,303
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    It'a a message board dedicated to a sport that none of us get paid to play, watch or discuss. It's built and thrives on frivolous debate.
    Well then let me ask this "frivolous" question......

    What do we worry about more?........ A couple fumbles or 27 interception?

    Seems like a few fumbles are a meaningless thing in this context.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  3. #203
    All-Pro B&RWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    7,852
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    What's extreme about "a turnover hurts the team", and "a non-turnover does not hurt the team"? I thought that was pretty basic, to be honest.

    Your argument for all fumbles being equal seems to be about what MIGHT happen any time a fumble occurs, and how many yards MIGHT have been gained if a fumble had not occurred. My god, you can say exactly the same thing about when a runner is tackled (how many more yards he could have gained, if that damned LB hadn't tackled him first!!)

    And a ball CAN be fumbled forward. A player cannot kick it forward or deliberately push or tip the ball forward in an attempt to recover or prevent an opponent from recovering the fumble. Accidental forward progress occurs fairly frequently in scrambles to recover a fumble. Or a ball is stripped or punched forward out of a carrier's grasp and is downed wherever the ball is eventually recovered and blown dead. Happens all the time.

    I'm not saying any fumble is GOOD, per se, just like it's not good to have your RB tackled for a short gain or a loss. I'm stating what I thought was the profoundly obvious--that the only fumble that actually hurts a team is the fumble that is lost to the other team. And as such, that's the fumble that matters--that counts, for all intents and purposes-- in any given game.
    The extreme points I made were in earlier posts when I asked should other players be benched because the RB fumbled and they did not recover it.

    To this latest ridiculous post all I can say is, "Are you serious?" Let's keep it simple. If a running back fumbles the ball and it's recovered for an 8 yard loss by the LT did that fumble hurt or help the team? If a player fumbles the ball without contact and had a clear path to the end zone, but the ball is instead recovered by a teammate short of the endzone did the fumble help or hurt the team?

    The bigger issue was that Tiki Barber came into the league with ball security issues and when his touches increased his fumbles shot through the roof. Mostly, I'm guessing because the word got out that he was a fumbler, so where in the first 3 years he fumbled only occasionally (9 times)as an unknown RB, once his touches increased by year 4 every time he touched the ball defenders where trying to strip him due to his reputation as a fumbler.

    To bring this full circle, Tiki Barber fumbled 45 times from 1999-2004, never did he receive an extended benching. Compare that to Wilson fumbling in his first game as rookie and then being benched for the majority of the season. It's a joke that TC would try to hold up this high standard for TOs as the reason.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

  4. #204
    All-Pro B&RWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    7,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well then let me ask this "frivolous" question......

    What do we worry about more?........ A couple fumbles or 27 interception?

    Seems like a few fumbles are a meaningless thing in this context.
    Ha! You are preaching to the quire. I just think players should have a fair shot before we write them off. 126 touches seems like too small a sample to decide if a RB that has made some plays playing behind a decidedly porous line is the real deal or not; that's just me though.

    As for Eli, I was definitely disappointed in his effort last year. Our most important player was our worst performing player, and it was totally unexpected.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

  5. #205
    All-Pro gmen46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    5,892
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    The extreme points I made were in earlier posts when I asked should other players be benched because the RB fumbled and they did not recover it.

    To this latest ridiculous post all I can say is, "Are you serious?" Let's keep it simple. If a running back fumbles the ball and it's recovered for an 8 yard loss by the LT did that fumble hurt or help the team? If a player fumbles the ball without contact and had a clear path to the end zone, but the ball is instead recovered by a teammate short of the endzone did the fumble help or hurt the team?

    The bigger issue was that Tiki Barber came into the league with ball security issues and when his touches increased his fumbles shot through the roof. Mostly, I'm guessing because the word got out that he was a fumbler, so where in the first 3 years he fumbled only occasionally (9 times)as an unknown RB, once his touches increased by year 4 every time he touched the ball defenders where trying to strip him due to his reputation as a fumbler.

    To bring this full circle, Tiki Barber fumbled 45 times from 1999-2004, never did he receive an extended benching. Compare that to Wilson fumbling in his first game as rookie and then being benched for the majority of the season. It's a joke that TC would try to hold up this high standard for TOs as the reason.
    Same as a tackle for an 8 yard loss. Same as a tackle right before the end zone.

    As to Tiki, he'd already established himself as a game breaker that could make game changing plays by the time his fumbles increased as his load increased in 2000. His years of 2000-2003 were when he fumbled the most times, 9 (lost 3), 8 (lost 2), 9 (lost 6), and 9 (lost 6), respectively. Those were all under Fassel. Obviously, his coaching approach was different (and more forgiving) than is Coughlin's. Turns out that Coughlin's approach worked quite well for Tiki (and for subsequent RBs), despite his bellyaching.

    On the other hand, Coughlin did not have Wilson "in the dog house" his rookie season as much as many would have us believe. He did have Wilson return kick offs the entire season (maybe 1 game was excluded, I don't remember). That skill requires the returner to catch and protect the ball before running, with all 11 guys running full tilt boogie at him and him alone. That, to me, showed Coughlin did have trust in him, in spite of his first play/fumble of the year at RB.

    The "it's Coughlin and Gilbride's fault" for Wilson's unimpressive 1 and 1/3 seasons as RB is overwrought and overstated, in my view. The fumble argument concerning Wilson's rushing talents is a side issue, as Morehead, you, and a couple others have indicated. It truly is only in the minds of some fans as a reason for not giving him more touches than he's had so far, but there is no evidence that confirms that belief.

    However, a player of his perceived talent, who was drafted in first round because of the perception, absolutely MUST make the most of his limited playing time early in his first year. Entering year 3, and he has yet to prove he should be the primary RB on this team.
    Last edited by gmen46; 03-24-2014 at 12:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts