+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bench Player

Impact Player, NOT DEVELOPMENTAL in the 1st

With how we built up our roster with mediocre talent in free agency, our draft must hit on impact players at the top. With this, I truly believe we PASS on Evans and Lewan. Both of these guys would be fighting for playing time, and more than likely wouldn't be starting out of the gate. That being said, I think our top three guys are 1) Ebron 2) Donald 3) Mosley.

1) Ebron- new o-coordinator utilizes the TE, and can even mix in some double tight sets with robinson...who simply isn't reliable at this point. His potential is Vernon Davis, an outstanding difference maker on offense, and his floor would be along the lines of Dustin Keller. *Keep in mind, I believe our division is filled with a lack of talent at the safety position*, something Ebron would be attacking. He opens up the offense, he helps in-line with blocking, and allows Eli another option for a bounce back year. Ultimately he's an every down impact player. And when people bring up the tight end class being deep, it is, but situationally deep. The other guys aren't the complete package Ebron is. Jace Amaro and the gifted, but character risk Oregon tight end are intriguing though.

2) Donald- he will disrupt the pocket, he will be penetrate the backfield relentlessly on the run. A perfect compliment to the run stuffing Hankins, Donald would fight for playing time with Jenkins, but ultimately his athleticism gets him on the field more often. Improves our d-line dramatically.

3) Mosley- I'm not sure where he fits with Beason locking down the middle, but if he was able to play outside for 1-2 years while Beason is still effective, his football instincts and playmaking ability would be something our linebacker spot hasn't had in quite a while. He would be a perfect transition to Beason and carrying over the leadership of our defense. I question whether the Giants value this position, or any linebacker position for that matter, considering their in-flux of free agent stop gaps over the years.

Im okay with the giants moving down and getting Benjamin (who is developmental but a stud when it comes to potential)

this isnt a Randle type WR who the giants "believe" hes going to be a number 1. This guy WILL be a number 1 IMO with true number 1 potential

there is no one in the draft with this type of potential

where as

Ebrons type can be gotten in the 2nd round (if Amaro drops into the 2nd, granted, a big if). Also, for this type of offense, with a lot of moving parts, Amaro fits really well. Hes a GREAT blocker on the outside. Ebron, not so much.

then again, who the hell knows what offense we will be running (its possible its going to be a hybrid). The giants after all, love to pound the rock.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomerTough View Post
    He opens up the offense, he helps in-line with blocking, and allows Eli another option for a bounce back year. Ultimately he's an every down impact player. .
    NO he does not help with his inline blocking. Where did you get that from? In college he lined up inline only about 21% of snaps and he was RARELY asked to block from that position.

He is not a blocker, at least not right now. He looks awkward and a bit slow coming out of a 3 point stance. Effectively, Ebron spent a huge amount of time playing the WR position is college. He was adequate at blocking smaller DBs, that is all. He absolutely IS a developmental player if we intend to use him inline.

I am not saying he isn't a good prospect, just that if we want an inline TE there are other prospects with more value and less development time than Ebron.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    NO he does not help with his inline blocking. Where did you get that from? In college he lined up inline only about 21% of snaps and he was RARELY asked to block from that position.

He is not a blocker, at least not right now. He looks awkward and a bit slow coming out of a 3 point stance. Effectively, Ebron spent a huge amount of time playing the WR position is college. He was adequate at blocking smaller DBs, that is all. He absolutely IS a developmental player if we intend to use him inline.

I am not saying he isn't a good prospect, just that if we want an inline TE there are other prospects with more value and less development time than Ebron.
    I think hes more of a inline blocker then his type of TE's usually are. Theres definetly something to work with in that category for Ebron, unlike some other guys, who u can tell, are just never gonna be adequete in that regard.

imho there is absolutely no reason to draft ebron in the first round when we can get a player like niklaus or ASJ in the 2nd with little if any fall off in talent. yes, those guys dont have the speed, but they would be more than capable of playing a boss/ballard roll for several years to come. I would much rather go with a Barr or Lewan in the 1st rnd.

to make a long read short...i think an impact player can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round at TE without using our top 15 pick on a player who is boom or bust.

If Donalds on the board, I think he should be the pick. You got a guy who A). Fills a giant need for the giants as they have very little depth on the interior of the Dline, and B). He adds pass rush ability which we sorely need, and C). Hes got sky high upside and potential.. If for some reason Donalds off the board, I would lean towards Mike Evans, and followed by Eric Ebron.. For me, Donald and Evans have been at the top of my hopeful picks for quite along time now, and I just dont see it changing from now till draft day.

Quote Originally Posted by qndarius3 View Post
    imho there is absolutely no reason to draft ebron in the first round when we can get a player like niklaus or ASJ in the 2nd with little if any fall off in talent. yes, those guys dont have the speed, but they would be more than capable of playing a boss/ballard roll for several years to come. I would much rather go with a Barr or Lewan in the 1st rnd.

to make a long read short...i think an impact player can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round at TE without using our top 15 pick on a player who is boom or bust.
    The upside of a Eric Ebron is extremely high. Of course its a risk, and maybe Ebron's not as good as Niklas(who i like) or ASJ, but hes produced more then both of them could of dreamed of on the field, and has earned the right to be ranked ahead of them.

Your example can be said about any positon. So lets not take Donald, because we can get Anthony Johnson, Dominque Easley, or Rashede Hageman in RD 2. Lets not take Mike Evans, because we can take Paul RIchardson, Davante Adams, or Abberderis in RD2 or 3...etc You gotta take someone at some positon, and you hope hes the cream of the crop, and the upside of Ebron and Donald, in my opinion, are higher then any other player at there positon.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    The upside of a Eric Ebron is extremely high. Of course its a risk, and maybe Ebron's not as good as Niklas(who i like) or ASJ, but hes produced more then both of them could of dreamed of on the field, and has earned the right to be ranked ahead of them.

Your example can be said about any positon. So lets not take Donald, because we can get Anthony Johnson, Dominque Easley, or Rashede Hageman in RD 2. Lets not take Mike Evans, because we can take Paul RIchardson, Davante Adams, or Abberderis in RD2 or 3...etc You gotta take someone at some positon, and you hope hes the cream of the crop, and the upside of Ebron and Donald, in my opinion, are higher then any other player at there positon.
    +1.. I am sticking to what I have been saying for a while now.. Giants should Go Donald, Ebron, or Evans.. in that order. I think Ebron and Donald have extremely high ceilings. Evans has good potential too but these are guys at rare positions with traits that can be truly game changing. Donald could be the next Geno Atkins and Ebron could be the next Vernon Davis. I think it is easier to find solid WR's in the draft.. especially with how deep this one is. Ebron and Donald are at positions that are huge needs. WR is a need but not nearly as big of one as DT and TE IMO

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
    +1.. I am sticking to what I have been saying for a while now.. Giants should Go Donald, Ebron, or Evans.. in that ordeat r. I think Ebron and Donald have extremely high ceilings. Evans has good potential too but these are guys at rare positions with traits that can be truly game changing. Donald could be the next Geno Atkins and Ebron could be the next Vernon Davis. I think it is easier to find solid WR's in the draft.. especially with how deep this one is. Ebron and Donald are at positions that are huge needs. WR is a need but not nearly as big of one as DT and TE IMO
    Yeah, we only differ in I got Evans after Donald and then Ebron, and you have Ebron after Donald, and then Evans. I here what your saying about the WR positon being less of a need then TE and DT, but the one kinda WR we need, is the Plax type, big physical outside target, that can go up and get the high pass, by using his long arms and length, as well as physicality. I love how Evans adjusts to the football in the air as well, especially for someone his size. My point is, Evans is the exception to me, becuase hes the one kinda WR we lack.

That said, i'm really hoping Donalds on the board, as hes the guy i want, plain and simple. To me, he makes the most sense, and I think you agree. To have a dominant inside pass rusher is a such a treat, and should keep extra bodies off of JPP and DaMonster. Having Donald, JPP, and Hankins on the interior to go with Beason, McClain in the LB core, and Thurmond, DRC, Rolle, Brown, Prince..etc in the secondary makes for a deeply talented defense.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    That said, i'm really hoping Donalds on the board, as hes the guy i want, plain and simple. To me, he makes the most sense, and I think you agree. To have a dominant inside pass rusher is a such a treat, and should keep extra bodies off of JPP and DaMonster. Having Donald, JPP, and Hankins on the interior to go with Beason, McClain in the LB core, and Thurmond, DRC, Rolle, Brown, Prince..etc in the secondary makes for a deeply talented defense.

+1 We have a chance to have a dominant defense.

BTW, where do you have Donte Moncrief going?