+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Impact Player, NOT DEVELOPMENTAL in the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
    The one skill Ebron would need to finesse is his blocking, which is very teachable. Eveyrthing else is there and can only get better. As a first round and potential top ten pick, everyone of those guys are expected to have some type of immediate impact, as Im sure is always the case. My good buddy is a Tarheel and played a year of footbal there so Ive watched many UNC games and can say Ebron is not nearly as bad an inline blocker as some posters here make him out to be. .
    He played 21% of his snaps as an inline blocker. On many of these he still released on routes. On the few run plays they did run they were mostly short yardage situations and they often ran away from Ebron's side. He simply was not asked to block inline very often at all, at least not in any meaningful capacity and when he did he looked awkward. As I said, he is a high school level inline blocker. He has the body and strength to develop into much more though.

However, he was asked to block from the slot position in the run game quite a bit and he did alright, even against LBs. He didn't shy away from the duty, that is a positive. As I said, I do think there is enough to work with and develop.

I am not making the case against him. I would not be upset with him as the 12th pick simply because I have no idea how we intend to use a TE. But, if we pick him at 12, and then try to make him just an inline TE, I would be a little annoyed because I do not think that is using him to the best of his ability and I think he will not see the field much this year if we do that.

Ebron and Donald could be options. Ebron would have a better shot at starting. Lewan would not fight for a spot. He is an immediate upgrade over Beatty. We gave Beatty way to much money for a player who always had difficulties at times. Reason he did well at RT was because Snee was performing at a All pro level and that helped.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by qndarius3 View Post
    imho there is absolutely no reason to draft ebron in the first round when we can get a player like niklaus or ASJ in the 2nd with little if any fall off in talent. yes, those guys dont have the speed, but they would be more than capable of playing a boss/ballard roll for several years to come. I would much rather go with a Barr or Lewan in the 1st rnd.

to make a long read short...i think an impact player can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round at TE without using our top 15 pick on a player who is boom or bust.
    Ebrons upside is Vernon Davis/Jimmy Graham type. I'd take that any day over a Boss/Ballard type. Who knows who'll be better, but I dont think u can put Niklas in the same category as Ebron right now. With our pick I'd rather go Donald and maybe a Davante Adams or Gabe Jackson in the 2nd rd.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxnygmen View Post
    Ebron and Donald could be options. Ebron would have a better shot at starting. Lewan would not fight for a spot. He is an immediate upgrade over Beatty. We gave Beatty way to much money for a player who always had difficulties at times. Reason he did well at RT was because Snee was performing at a All pro level and that helped.
    Even tho I think Lewan is gonna be a really good pro I pray the Giants don't draft him. Seems like such a *****hole.

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNiCcA56 View Post
    Even tho I think Lewan is gonna be a really good pro I pray the Giants don't draft him. Seems like such a *****hole.
    Exactly, contrary to what the OP says, Lewan will be an immediate impact and starter wherever he goes. He is just the prototypical player we pass up due to off the field issues. Evans will also be an immediate starter wherever he falls. OP, these guys aren't top 10 potentials just to compete and ride the bench by any means. Not sure why you think any team would take them that early and question their starting ability.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

+ Reply to Thread