+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    The D-Line conundrum

    Right now, two DL names have been floated around as early picks: Donald and Crichton. Both are really good at their respective positions. But which one would improve our defensive front as it stands now? This isn't an argument about talent, most of us would agree Donald rates higher on most draft boards, and rightly so.. But I don't think Donald could contribute as much to improve our front 4 come the regular season as much as other people may think.

    Crichton is a dedicated DE. None of this DE/OLB combo hybrid, instead is an every-down DE, can play against run or pass. This guy could seamlessly integrate into the hole left by Tuck, and pick up where we left off. Donald would be sitting his rookie year behind Jenkins and Hankins, maybe serving as a pass rush specialist in Hankins position on obvious passing downs, but hardly grabbing a starting role away from the more seasoned Jenkins. If he did, that would force Jenkins out of position to fill that void at DE, which would be far less optimal than taking a dedicated every-down DE to begin with.



    Basically, this all boils down to individual talent vs. usefulness in the system, not to mention draft position. Crichton is now awkwardly placed for us, being too much of a reach at #12 but not likely to be there at #43 (where I originally had him mocked), while Donald would be a solid-yet-reasonable value at #12. Ideally a tradeback on draft day (Carolina if Evans falls to us, Cleveland if a QB like Manziel or Bridgewater falls) would make this more feasible. But for the time being, picking where we are now, Donald is the only realistic DL option in rounds 1 or 2 anymore...

  2. #2
    Veteran NYGfanSTRICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Former NY'er now living in the Midwest
    Posts
    3,937
    I just mocked us both of them lol.

    I agree with about everything you said.. I would be up for dropping back for Crichton in the later part of the first and snagging an extra 2nd round pick

    S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

  3. #3
    All-Pro Captain Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Alexandria, Va
    Posts
    9,559
    I think that Donaldson may not fit the G'men's idea of an inside guy. Additionally, he is playing a position that the G'men could easily fortify in FA with a guy like Patterson. I like Crichton but not in the first. A DE I like better is Kareem Martin out of North Carolina; fits our Left DE needs perfectly.

  4. #4
    Veteran NYGfanSTRICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Former NY'er now living in the Midwest
    Posts
    3,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    I think that Donaldson may not fit the G'men's idea of an inside guy. Additionally, he is playing a position that the G'men could easily fortify in FA with a guy like Patterson. I like Crichton but not in the first. A DE I like better is Kareem Martin out of North Carolina; fits our Left DE needs perfectly.
    I like him as well. I do like Crichton more but if he is gone in the 2nd I would happy with Kareem Martin... Cbs sports compares him to Justin Tuck lol

    S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

  5. #5
    A prospect should never be judged by how they will fare in their first year. I don't know what's with this obsession of instant starters at the expense of a better albeit maybe rawer talent. These players, especially first rounders, are 4-5 year investments. You go for the guy with the chance of having the greater career, not the one most likely to have the best rookie year.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    A prospect should never be judged by how they will fare in their first year. I don't know what's with this obsession of instant starters at the expense of a better albeit maybe rawer talent. These players, especially first rounders, are 4-5 year investments. You go for the guy with the chance of having the greater career, not the one most likely to have the best rookie year.
    Adrien Robinson
    Marvin Austin
    Ramses Barden

    Good athletics, good measurables, terrible at football. Wilson might be headed that way too if he doesn't step up his game soon.

    I for one am done with the project picks for a while. Get us a competent player at each position, THEN we can talk.

  7. #7
    All-Pro Captain Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Alexandria, Va
    Posts
    9,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Adrien Robinson
    Marvin Austin
    Ramses Barden

    Good athletics, good measurables, terrible at football. Wilson might be headed that way too if he doesn't step up his game soon.

    I for one am done with the project picks for a while. Get us a competent player at each position, THEN we can talk.
    Project picks are fine if they happen in the late rounds:

    A guy like Larry Webster from a small school with excellent pedigree is a project that may be worth a look in the 6th:

    Larry Webster Bloomsburg DE 2014 6-6 252 4.58

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Project picks are fine if they happen in the late rounds:

    A guy like Larry Webster from a small school with excellent pedigree is a project that may be worth a look in the 6th:

    Larry Webster Bloomsburg DE 2014 6-6 252 4.58
    I'm less against it in the late rounds, but those three were picked in the 2nd-4th rounds...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Adrien Robinson
    Marvin Austin
    Ramses Barden

    Good athletics, good measurables, terrible at football. Wilson might be headed that way too if he doesn't step up his game soon.

    I for one am done with the project picks for a while. Get us a competent player at each position, THEN we can talk.
    Are you stretching the argument to the cryptic term"project player" now? Austin wasn't terrible at football by any means in college. The other two are mid rounders. Your argument against a first rounder like Donald is that he wouldn't play much in his first year, but conceded that he rates higher. So you insinuate taking someone who rates lower because they have a better opportunity to play in their first year? That's just a nonsensical approach and a sure fire way to sabotage your roster in the future.
    Last edited by penguinfarmer; 03-28-2014 at 11:44 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    Are you stretching the argument to the cryptic term"project player" now? Austin wasn't terrible at football by any means in college. The other two are mid rounders. Your argument against a first rounder like Donald is that he wouldn't play much in his first year, but conceded that he rates higher. So you insinuate taking someone who rates lower because they have a better opportunity to play in their first year? That's just a nonsensical approach and a sure fire way to sabotage your roster in the future.
    My original argument is that Donald doesn't fit our needs as much as a guy like Crichton does. We HAVE a pass rushing DT on the roster already. We DON'T HAVE an every-down left DE (unless you want to turn back time and tell JR to offer a 2 year/8million to Tuck).

    You simply CAN'T make decisions in a vacuum. Drafting in the first 3 rounds merely upon player measurables and college highlights without having a clear plan how he fits into the system is what got us into this mess to begin with (which is why I listed the names I did). If we could snag both Donald and Crichton, great. But Crichton will give us a more immediate improvement to our front 4 than Donald will (whose improvement would only be realized upon release or injury of Jenkins). If Jenkins can get us through another year, we can pick up an early DT in next year's FA or draft.
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 03-28-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts