+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    IMO as it pertains to Donald I feel that as a DT in the NFL he has boom or bust written all over him. Yes Donald is fast for a 285lb man but he is short with Short arms playing against guys much bigger and experienced in dealing with fast guys. Aaron Donald is no Clowney and lets not make the mistake and act as if he is. He is not the answer as a 3T. He will be one dimesional if he pans out. he is not gonna be able to hold up against the run he will get killed and run all over. Thats why people out there like me would rather see the Giants take a guy like Jerrnigan or Nix they are guys who can fit into more schemes cause they can stop the run and rush the passer. Nix may be big and not as fast as Donald but he has a quick first step for a 335 pounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
    What about guys that are strong, do they not have a massive advantage on the bench as well???

Those guys may have short arms but you're not putting up 40reps unless you have strength, I dont care how short your arms are

...Sometimes I feel like you argue just to argue
    You are just missing half of the meaning of the bench numbers.

Work = force * distance

You are eliminating distance from the equation and saying strength = reps.

That's massively incorrect.

A guy could do the same number of reps as donald, but if his arm length is twice as long he has done twice the work

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post

Work = force * distance

A guy could do the same number of reps as donald, but if his arm length is twice as long he has done twice the work
    Very true....Short arm guys have a huge advantage in the bench press.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
    Who really cares about combines and pro days, for me its all about your game tape.

Slip is making it seem that any weakling with short arms can put up 50 reps because they have TRex arms. Yes short arms might help, but you arent putting up any reps unless you're strong, its plain and simple

I dont agree with the combine drills, when is someone running without pads, doing a standing high jump or broad jump, or doing the bench press. Its a way to measure speed, strength, agility, etc but the best way to do that is game tape
    I like the combine and pro days to confirm what you already knew about a guy, open up your eyes about things you may have overlooked (and go back to the tape with that in mind), or opens your eyes about a guy you didnt know about before and you then check his tape out

thats all. it is definitely blown up to be more than it is

Work = force * distance

PHYSICS BABY. love it

Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
    Slip I know that the reps are easier if you have shorter arms since it is common sense you don't have to bench it as high as other players but Donald does have great strength. His bench total isn't all because of his shorter arms. He sat Cyril Richardson on his *** when he was considered possibly the best Guard prospect at the time. Plus Richardson outweighs him by like 50 pounds. His short arms didn't do that. That was his strength. When you watch him play he is quick enough that the Guards cannot get their hands locked on him and he is strong enough to destroy double teams. He is a beast

Donald has massive lower body strength and can play with excellent leverage due to his height.

That's where I would argue his power comes from. Not his arm strength.

Well oversimplifications, but quantity reps does not indicate strength. Muscle endurance within a rapid set varies wildly upon everyone regardless of their max bench. I'm willing to bet that NFL teams don't put too much stock into it, at least not in comparing one player's to another to determine strength. If anything, there's a cutoff number at each position that is just a gauge to show a commitment to training. Some of the strongest players in the each draft class put up lower numbers than their peers.

Donald has massive lower body strength and can play with excellent leverage due to his height.

That's where I would argue his power comes from. Not his arm strength.
    i find it interesting that they do not do a leg press or anything like that at the combine. what are your thoughts on that?

Work = force * distance

I see we are yet again going to debate in circles and circles.

So according to you any weakling with short arms can put up more reps than a beast with long arms??

You are taking strength out of the equation completely and thats incorrect. I said before that it is easier with short arms but you cant put up 50reps without strength and you arent grasping that
    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    Well oversimplifications, but quantity reps does not indicate strength. Muscle endurance within a rapid set varies wildly upon everyone regardless of their max bench. I'm willing to bet that NFL teams don't put too much stock into it, at least not in comparing one player's to another to determine strength. If anything, there's a cutoff number at each position that is just a gauge to show a commitment to training. Some of the strongest players in the each draft class put up lower numbers than their peers.
    I agree with this as well.

Though it has it's value as an upper body endurance test. Guys do play a bunch of snaps in a row.

I do think it is an incredibly poor measurment of actual strength