+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Perry Fewell play more press coverage this season now that we are better suited?

Question Will Perry Fewell play more press coverage this season now that we are better suited?

DRC is more comfortable in man coverage, as is Prince and just about everyone in our secondary. They all prefer to play physical and get their hands on receivers to disrupt their timing at the LOS. They players have echoed this for years but Fewell continues to have them sit off with soft coverage.

Webster was a better press corner and I believe the players even questioned the scheme at times with all of the zone.

No doubt the Cromartie signing has to have Fewell thinking about adjusting his coverages. He's a physical presence on the outside. Now we have two physical outside corners(yes, Prince is physical) along with Thurmond in the slot. That's a very physical group and I hope Perry is advantageous this season and utilizes his personnel accordingly.

I have mixed feelings about Fewell. One game he can call an ABSOLUTE masterful gem(Packers, Patriots in Foxboro to name a few).... just outright genius schemes... and then the next game you're left shaking your head in disbelief. I was one of his biggest supporters the minute he was hired as our new DC. It seemed he got more out of his lack of talent in Buffalo then he has with our defense at times which is always baffling.

Out secondary should no doubt be a position of strength for us this season. I hope Fewell is licking his chops with all of his toys.
    Last edited by NYG4lifeNYK; 04-02-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

i freakin' hope so... i want to have a fun aggressive defense to watch this year, like seattle was last year. play tough and physically dominate your opponent.

Webster wasent good at anything the past two years

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Webster wasent good at anything the past two years
    +1

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    DRC is more comfortable in man coverage, as is Prince and just about everyone in our secondary. They all prefer to play physical and get their hands on receivers to disrupt their timing at the LOS. They players have echoed this for years but Fewell continues to have them sit off with soft coverage.

Webster was a better press corner and I believe the players even questioned the scheme at times with all of the zone.

No doubt the Cromartie signing has to have Fewell thinking about adjusting his coverages. He's a physical presence on the outside. Now we have two physical outside corners(yes, Prince is physical) along with Thurmond in the slot. That's a very physical group and I hope Perry is advantageous this season and utilizes his personnel accordingly.

I have mixed feelings about Fewell. One game he can call an ABSOLUTE masterful gem(Packers, Patriots in Foxboro to name a few).... just outright genius schemes... and then the next game you're left shaking your head in disbelief. I was one of his biggest supporters the minute he was hired as our new DC. It seemed he got more out of his lack of talent in Buffalo then he has with our defense at times which is always baffling.

Out secondary should no doubt be a position of strength for us this season. I hope Fewell is licking his chops with all of his toys.
    If they can start the season healthy with everyone playing their natural position and not having to double other positions due to injuries etc… with other addition whether through draft and UDFA process pushing the competition during off season, they can generate more coverage sacks, limit the deep ball and keep a lot of stuff in front of them.

DRC and Thurmond excel in press coverage and I wouldn't leave bowman too far behind. I have been begging for press coverage because the receivers always get a free release and our cb's were 5-10 yards off the wr. They would make the cut on a slant or short hitch and we were still 3-5 yards away. We need to play more press and disrupt the routes and timing. I pray Fewell wakes the f up and realizes the plethura he has available to him in the secondary. I also want to see some more CB blitzes.

you can get physical at the line of scrimmage out of zone coverage is as well. It isn't just man coverage. Now I agree our corners are better suited for man coverage. Press man to man that Is. but DRC is good in zone coverage as is Prince. We're going to see a variety of coveragess I would hope because the way the defense is looking deptH Wise, we have flexibility to play a lot out of a base package.

This excerpt is from a New York Newsday article by Tom Rock - January 21, 2012.

It just seems to address the topic of man coverage.

["We had a lot of interchangeable parts and I spoke throughout the season that we were not able to play together as a front, as a secondary and as a linebacking corps," Fewell said. "So over the last four or five weeks, we've been able to play together. Our coverage is based on feel and knowing where people are and trust. We've been able to feel and trust each other now because we've played together as a unit."

The players have responded, not only on the field but to Fewell. Safety Antrel Rolle credited him with not only devising game plans but listening to the players.

When the Giants were using too much zone coverage -- a scheme that is based on that feel and trust that Fewell described -- during their four-game losing streak in November and into December, he heard the players' concerns and backed off. Some called it "simplifying" the defense, but really, what they did was play more man coverage. Lining up against a receiver and saying, "I got him." That's about as simple as it gets.

Fewell said that was accomplished "because we are able to communicate and we talk to each other."

"I know the players a lot better, definitely," he said. "I think that as a coordinator and as a leader, you're most effective when you're listening, not talking."

If the Giants win Sunday night and their defense keeps playing the way it has for the last month, Fewell could wind up listening to a lot more than just his players. He could be hearing some offers to make him a head coach.]

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...fire-1.3469462

I don't particularly like seeing defensive ends dropping into coverage. I understand dropping to take away short crossing routes but i don't like seeing defensive ends 20 yards down field on coverage.

Banned
    We better

+ Reply to Thread