+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-Pro

Evaluate Jerry Reese

A lot of you were out for blood at the beginning of the season.

That still the case?

I'm probably the biggest JR homer, but I'm genuinely curious.

Veteran

Re: Evaluate Jerry Reese

I slammed Reese alot this season.

I was highly critical of his inactivity during free agency. I understand alot of that is cap-related, but since the GM is responsible for managing the cap, I didn't accept that as an excuse.

When the "hot seat" was burning for Coughlin, I defended Coughlin.....I thought the blame was on Reese for being stuck in neutral this season.

I remember making a post called "If Coughlin is fired, blame Reese".

Well, Coughlin is off the hot seat, so maybe I should eat some crow about Reese, too. He came out in the preseason and "guaranteed" the Giants would get to the playoff and make a run....and he was right.

I still give Coughlin the greater credit for this season....because he was the one who kept this team togetherthrough all the ups and downs.

But now that we are getting guys back, Reese's original position on not shaking up the roster is looking pretty smart, too.

Really, when it comes to judging Reese, or Coughlin....they both owe a huge thank you to Ernie Accorsi, because Eli might have saved both their asses.

There was definitely some aspects I didn't like early on. I thought going into the year with a bunch of mid level rookie LBers was a mistake (I still think I'm right about that since Chase has made such a difference). I didn't like the idea of starting Beatty at LT, I just don't think he's good enough. Not yet anyways.

But all in all it's all worked out so how can I complain?

All-Pro

[quote user="JMFP2"]

I was highly critical of his inactivity during free agency. I understand alot of that is cap-related, but since the GM is responsible for managing the cap, I didn't accept that as an excuse.

When the "hot seat" was burning for Coughlin, I defended Coughlin.....I thought the blame was on Reese for being stuck in neutral this season.

Well, Coughlin is off the hot seat, so maybe I should eat some crow about Reese, too. He came out in the preseason and "guaranteed" the Giants would get to the playoff and make a run....and he was right.

I still give Coughlin the greater credit for this season....because he was the one who kept this team togetherthrough all the ups and downs.

But now that we are getting guys back, Reese's original position on not shaking up the roster is looking pretty smart, too.

[/quote]

Haha. I remember that thread. I was busy defending JR for pages and pages and pages.

according to footballoutsiders, giants defense was the 2nd most injured defense they had ever recorded, and their data goes back like 30 years.

So i cant blame Reese for any of that really.

And as usual, every FA he brings in spends most of their first year hurt, so of course Baas fit right in.

The irony of a lot of the Reese hate, is that the players everyone blames him most for... Rolle, Canty, Bernard, and Boley have all been playing great down the stretch.

Veteran

[quote user="gumby742"][quote user="JMFP2"]

[/quote]

Haha. I remember that thread. I was busy defending JR for pages and pages and pages.

[/quote]

LOL....I remember that too.

Thing is, I've been a Reese supporter since Day 1.... I was just very critical of him this season. I think it's because I'm a big Coughlin supporter, and I just felt like he didn't have the weapons he needed to get back into the playoffs.

Again, a ton of this was due to injuries. I'm pretty used to the Giants getting banged up, but this season was a ****ing joke.

When it comes to picking gems, I can't think of anyone with a better track record than Reese...... granted, JPP was a 1st rounder, but if anyone had a clue he'd be this good, he might have been a top 3 pick. Cruz is playing like a 1st rounder. Bradshaw, Boss, Ballard, etc., etc., etc.,.....the guy has struck gold in the draft.

[quote user="gumby742"]

That still the case?

[/quote]

I was very upset with Reese in the off season. Mostly because it seemed like we weren't even in a position (financially) to make a move IF we wanted to. I wasn't a fan of the moves he was making, but I generally do trust him. IMO being so unprepared for the FA signing period is a legit knock on Reese. Overall I think he's great, and clearly we have a talented roster but I think he could have done better in that respect.

All-Pro

[quote user="JMFP2"][quote user="gumby742"][quote user="JMFP2"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thing is, I've been a Reese supporter since Day 1.... I was just very critical of him this season. I think it's because I'm a big Coughlin supporter, and I just felt like he didn't have the weapons he needed to get back into the playoffs.

Again, a ton of this was due to injuries. I'm pretty used to the Giants getting banged up, but this season was a ****ing joke.

[/quote]

We'll be an even better team next season. Hopefully by that time we'll have our oline figured out.

Veteran

[quote user="gumby742"][quote user="JMFP2"][quote user="gumby742"][quote user="JMFP2"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We'll be an even better team next season. Hopefully by that time we'll have our oline figured out.

[/quote]

On paper, no doubt....maybe we can get a witch doctor to lift our injury curse next season.

I'm still trying to keep an open mind about Baas.....I think he hasn't been 100% all season.

[quote user="gumby742"]

That still the case?

[/quote]While i think he has made some mistakes ALA Baas for one.

I still feel he has done well. Plus people have to realize the cap issue we had this year. But over paying Baas for a sub par year was very bad.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul