+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    Well for one, I don't think he is our quarterback of the future. I don't think they drafted him with that intention.
    i think you always draft a QB hoping that , but they would be ok with him becoming a solid #2 i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    i think you always draft a QB hoping that , but they would be ok with him becoming a solid #2 i think.
    Not necessarily. Would they like and hope he becomes starting caliber? Absolutely. But competent backups let alone starters are hard to find. And backup QB is still a position in the final 53.

Not necessarily. Would they like and hope he becomes starting caliber? Absolutely. But competent backups let alone starters are hard to find. And backup QB is still a position in the final 53.
    think about it, what GM goes hey ill move down and draft a QB and i know he will never be a starter? you draft one with the hope he can step up and be that guy. just like the pats drafted brady late and it worked out.

think about it, what GM goes hey ill move down and draft a QB and i know he will never be a starter? you draft one with the hope he can step up and be that guy. just like the pats drafted brady late and it worked out.
    You mean like Jerry Reese publicly stating he hopes Nassib never has to play? Mentioning Brady is such a far-fetched hyperbole. If Pats had a remote clue as to what he was going to become, they wouldn't have waited until the end of the draft to nab him.

You mean like Jerry Reese publicly stating he hopes Nassib never has to play? Mentioning Brady is such a far-fetched hyperbole. If Pats had a remote clue as to what he was going to become, they wouldn't have waited until the end of the draft to nab him.
    saying you hope he never has to play and drafting him knowing he cant be a starter is two different things. it doesnt matter what pos or what round, you draft a bradshaw in the 7th hoping he can be a starter.

Reese meant he hoped Eli never went down in a game
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

0% havent seen him play a game with anyone on the team currently.

saying you hope he never has to play and drafting him knowing he cant be a starter is two different things. it doesnt matter what pos or what round, you draft a bradshaw in the 7th hoping he can be a starter.
    Again, I never said anything on hope. Draft boards aren't created on hope and luck. It's built on evaluation and expectations. If teams expect a certain player to become a starter, they draft him early. Simple as that. A team can absolutely draft or sign a player with the expectation of him being a backup. Backup QB isn't a pejorative term. It's a part of the final roster. It's why teams can pay up to $4mil annually for one. That's hardly saying they expect them to be starter material since half of the league don't even have a set starter. That's just unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Reese meant he hoped Eli never went down in a game
    exactly , he didnt mean i hope he never plays because he sucks. lol smh at some of these fans thinking you draft knowing a guy isnt very good. you scout and you hope that player can rise up and develope into a starter one day , no matter the position or the round.

exactly , he didnt mean i hope he never plays because he sucks. lol smh at some of these fans thinking you draft knowing a guy isnt very good. you scout and you hope that player can rise up and develope into a starter one day , no matter the position or the round.
    I didn't even say that. I can make you look like a moron if I made up your half of the argument as well. Backups and depth make up every single roster in the NFL. Given the success rate in players sticking in the NFL exponentially decreases with each round, it's hardly absurd to think a GM takes a player with the expectations that he will never start. That hardly means he can't contribute.