+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1

    Why is no one mentioning the WR position??!? Watkins??

    Ok so we have Victor Cruz who is a slot receiver, Randle who is a possession receiver, a couple younger unproven guys like JJ and Murphy Jr. And now an aging has-been in MM who could never understand a game plan anyway and whos career was based on one SB catch. None of these guys profile as a #1 WR!!!

    Also we don't have a decent TE to take any coverage away from any of these guys. Teams are going to double Cruz again all year, and make Randle try to beat them. He had a decent year last year but he lacks speed and deep threat potential.

    Why is no one mentioning this? We NEED a #1 receiver, someone with speed who can play on the outside and be a deep threat. We all know Cruz functions best when he has a #1 guy to take some of the coverage off of him; thats when he kills you. The Giants have no one to do this. Both of the SB winning years the Giants used the dynamic of great outside receiver, great possessions receiver, and great slot guy. In 2007 it was Plax/Toomer/SS, and in 2011 it was Nicks/Manningham/Cruz respectively.

    I believe this dynamic will lead to success again if it can be achieved. This is why I am advocating for the Giants to trade up for Watkins, do whatever they have to do to get him. He is NFL ready to start, he is an amazing deep threat, has the tools to do it all.

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by BBlue4ever; 04-03-2014 at 02:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer Harooni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Think Big Rudy
    Posts
    58,205
    Manham fits well with us and i bet he see's a ;lot of 3rd down action RR is very good also.

  3. #3
    He wont fall out of the top 5 maybe top 3. We would have to give up way too much to get up there and even have a shot at drafting him. Their better off keeping their fingers crossed that Mike Evans is still there at #12. We have too many holes to fill other than WR right now

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Udownwithjpp View Post
    He wont fall out of the top 5 maybe top 3. We would have to give up way too much to get up there and even have a shot at drafting him. Their better off keeping their fingers crossed that Mike Evans is still there at #12. We have too many holes to fill other than WR right now
    Then what was the point of all these FA signings? I thought it was to fill holes.We addressed the Oline, which everyone was screaming about, we addressed the secondary, resigned Beason and got Mcclain from Balt for LBers, and now just obtained Ayers to play with Moore and JPP. They even addressed STs!

    What are these huge gaping holes? I know they still may need a little help at Oline, but you can get a quality player in later rounds with that. They need a RB? Maybe, but they have Jennings now and Wilson should be ready within the first few weeks. Also they still have Hillis.

    I know TE is a weak spot, but that also can be filled in later rounds. Maybe Dline, that would be the only thing I would want them to draft in the 1st if they don't try for Watkins.

    Depending on what they would have to give up why not go for a difference maker like Watkins? Imagine the upside if we got him!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BBlue4ever View Post
    Ok so we have Victor Cruz who is a slot receiver, Randle who is a possession receiver, a couple younger unproven guys like JJ and Murphy Jr. And now an aging has-been in MM who could never understand a game plan anyway and whos career was based on one SB catch. None of these guys profile as a #1 WR!!!

    Also we don't have a decent TE to take any coverage away from any of these guys. Teams are going to double Cruz again all year, and make Randle try to beat them. He had a decent year last year but he lacks speed and deep threat potential.

    Why is no one mentioning this? We NEED a #1 receiver, someone with speed who can play on the outside and be a deep threat. We all know Cruz functions best when he has a #1 guy to take some of the coverage off of him; thats when he kills you. The Giants have no one to do this. Both of the SB winning years the Giants used the dynamic of great outside receiver, great possessions receiver, and great slot guy. In 2007 it was Plax/Toomer/SS, and in 2011 it was Nicks/Manningham/Cruz respectively.

    I believe this dynamic will lead to success again if it can be achieved. This is why I am advocating for the Giants to trade up for Watkins, do whatever they have to do to get him. He is NFL ready to start, he is an amazing deep threat, has the tools to do it all.

    Thoughts?
    You're right we could use a top flight recieved, this is a bad year for us to move up to draft one. WR is about 3rd in our list of needs behind DL, TE and possibly OL still. Also we're not sure what this new offense will look like. Gilbrides offense was WR driven, Based on what GB did, they were able to rotate guys in and out of that line up at all the skill positions and be pretty productive. I think this lessens the blow of not having a dynamic #1, if we have above average play from our RB's and TE

  6. #6
    watkins will be taken at least by 5th pick in draft.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dattdoode View Post
    You're right we could use a top flight recieved, this is a bad year for us to move up to draft one. WR is about 3rd in our list of needs behind DL, TE and possibly OL still. Also we're not sure what this new offense will look like. Gilbrides offense was WR driven, Based on what GB did, they were able to rotate guys in and out of that line up at all the skill positions and be pretty productive. I think this lessens the blow of not having a dynamic #1, if we have above average play from our RB's and TE
    Good point. Maybe with Mcadoo the new offense won't be so predicated on WR play. I still don't see Eli being as successful as he could be without a top flight #1 WR. I think Eli needs that deep threat to move the secondary around, and open things up for his other guys. Let's be honest, Eli was never a pinpoint accuracy guy, he was more of a deep ball thrower. Maybe that was because he always played in KGs offense which was based on throwing deep, but I still would feel a lot more comfortable if the Giants had a legit #1 guy

  8. #8
    louis Murphy isnt on the team...MM, RR and even Cruz at times have had some difficulty understanding Gilbride's system. Lets see how they will be utilized in this new one. I think DT is a more pressing need.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by luni View Post
    watkins will be taken at least by 5th pick in draft.
    So trade up! They are sitting at 12th, and if they do some clever maneuvering they may be able to get up to #5 to take him. I am not saying to mortgage the farm like they did with Eli, that was just stupid, but if they can get into a situation where he was still available and they wouldn't have to give up too much, PULL THE TRIGGER!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_truth View Post
    louis Murphy isnt on the team...MM, RR and even Cruz at times have had some difficulty understanding Gilbride's system. Lets see how they will be utilized in this new one. I think DT is a more pressing need.
    Ok thats fair. I guess we can see how the new offense functions first, but I am with you, if they don't get Watkins they HAVE to go Dline in the 1st!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts