+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giant Changes For Big Blue, But Are They Better Off?

http://nypost.com/2014/04/03/giant-c...ey-better-off/

Excerpt: "To “replace’’ is to take the place of, especially as a substitute or successor.

No definition of “replace’’ or “replacement’’ contains any promise of “improvement’’ or “upgrade’’ — no assurance that new means better.

There’s no doubt the Giants in early April are different, more different than anyone could have suspected after they signed 13 free agents who played elsewhere in 2013. That’s the biggest haul of any team in the NFL, but it doesn’t guarantee the Giants have taken a quantum leap forward in skill and talent. They have, unquestionably, gained tremendous experience — all 13 newcomers have been starters or important players in the league — but in almost every case, these players were not considered priorities by their former teams.

What are we to make of these ReplaceJints? Of the 13 newcomers, six figure to be starters or key contributors — cornerbacks Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Walter Thurmond, offensive linemen Geoff Schwartz and J.D. Walton, linebacker Jameel McClain and running back Rashad Jennings. Five represent modest investments in good players.

Rodgers-Cromartie, the shut-down cornerback who came aboard on a five-year, $35 million contract that one month ago seemed too deep for the Giants’ pockets, represented a significant monetary splash, but he was the one glaring exception. Otherwise, the most money the Giants gave to attract someone from the outside is the four-year, $16.8 million deal for Schwartz, who figures to be the starting left guard. The only big money given to one of their own was handed to linebacker Jon Beason (three years, $16.8 million).

Factor in a new offensive coordinator, Ben McAdoo, and a new playbook, there’s no doubt the spring and summer will contain more teaching than in any of Tom Coughlin’s previous 10 years." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Banned
    We're better off with every move we've made except not bringing back Tuck.. and Nicks too if we don't get Evans in the draft, but if we do than were better off in that spot as well

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Excerpt: "To “replace’’ is to take the place of, especially as a substitute or successor.

No definition of “replace’’ or “replacement’’ contains any promise of “improvement’’ or “upgrade’’ — no assurance that new means better.

There’s no doubt the Giants in early April are different, more different than anyone could have suspected after they signed 13 free agents who played elsewhere in 2013. That’s the biggest haul of any team in the NFL, but it doesn’t guarantee the Giants have taken a quantum leap forward in skill and talent. They have, unquestionably, gained tremendous experience — all 13 newcomers have been starters or important players in the league — but in almost every case, these players were not considered priorities by their former teams.

What are we to make of these ReplaceJints? Of the 13 newcomers, six figure to be starters or key contributors — cornerbacks Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Walter Thurmond, offensive linemen Geoff Schwartz and J.D. Walton, linebacker Jameel McClain and running back Rashad Jennings. Five represent modest investments in good players.

Rodgers-Cromartie, the shut-down cornerback who came aboard on a five-year, $35 million contract that one month ago seemed too deep for the Giants’ pockets, represented a significant monetary splash, but he was the one glaring exception. Otherwise, the most money the Giants gave to attract someone from the outside is the four-year, $16.8 million deal for Schwartz, who figures to be the starting left guard. The only big money given to one of their own was handed to linebacker Jon Beason (three years, $16.8 million).

Factor in a new offensive coordinator, Ben McAdoo, and a new playbook, there’s no doubt the spring and summer will contain more teaching than in any of Tom Coughlin’s previous 10 years." Read more...
    Short answer, YES YES YES YES. I was tired of watching the same old slackers!
    Giants fan since '58

I think the Giants are better off, but it's too early to know if they are slightly better off or significantly better off.

But they needed to shake things up and make some long overdue changes, which they've done. They've still got work to do, but I'm much more optimistic about 2014 than I would've been if they hadn't made the changes they did and kept the status quo.
    One of these teams is not like the others

how cant they be....the last two seasons sucked...
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post

I think Reese did a phenomenal job of filling, replacing and adding depth.
    He got a good bang for the limited bucks he had to work with and he managed to snag a couple of big names, all his signings were starters last season and most important of all.....many multi year contracts for players that could turn out to be very good Giants for more than one season.
    I'm very excited and we still have the Draft to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookskingdom View Post
    We're better off with every move we've made except not bringing back Tuck.. and Nicks too if we don't get Evans in the draft, but if we do than were better off in that spot as well
    we are better off with those moves also.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    we are better off with those moves also.
    Na.. don't get me wrong I like the Ayers signing, but he's half the player Tuck is which is fair since he's getting paid half what Tuck would have but unfortunately that half of his game (pass rushing) is what we deperately need right now, and there's really none to be found, anywhere. **** out of luck and no way around it, a player like Tuck at 4 mil a year over just 2 years (what he wanted from us) would be a steal and there was no reason not to take it. Ill always love Nicks but originally I wanted him gone too, but that was before Evans stock shot up, may not be possible to get now, and no Nicks+no Evans= a suck *** group of wideouts once again

Quote Originally Posted by Mookskingdom View Post
    Na.. don't get me wrong I like the Ayers signing, but he's half the player Tuck is which is fair since he's getting paid half what Tuck would have but unfortunately that half of his game (pass rushing) is what we deperately need right now, and there's really none to be found, anywhere. **** out of luck and no way around it, a player like Tuck at 4 mil a year over just 2 years (what he wanted from us) would be a steal and there was no reason not to take it. Ill always love Nicks but originally I wanted him gone too, but that was before Evans stock shot up, may not be possible to get now, and no Nicks+no Evans= a suck *** group of wideouts once again
    tuck is passed his prime , these are the things that the giants had to change , which was stop over paying old vets . tuck hasnt been the same since he tweaked his neck vs the jets a couple years ago. he was a great player but ,sometimes its best to move on.

and nicks well he wasnt on the same page with tc and wasnt happy ,no use keeping him here also.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    tuck is passed his prime , these are the things that the giants had to change , which was stop over paying old vets . tuck hasnt been the same since he tweaked his neck vs the jets a couple years ago. he was a great player but ,sometimes its best to move on.

and nicks well he wasnt on the same page with tc and wasnt happy ,no use keeping him here also.
    I won't argue that Tuck is as good as he used to be (obv) but who cares? He's still easily one of the best 4-3 DEs in the league, theres getting to be less and less good ones, and he wanted 2yrs 8mil LOL my god.. I think that's more than reasonable, Nicks however is a much more difficult case to argue, but he may have been worth taking one more chance on eespecially at the price he signed at, unless we get Evans which has been the preferable move to me all along, if not than we are continuing to do what we've always done with Eli, make his job harder, and sometimes (last year) straight up impossible, idc what anyone says Joe Montana couldn't do **** with our offensive personel (and playcalling) last year
    Last edited by Mookskingdom; 04-04-2014 at 03:03 PM.