+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Giants WRs + Draft implications

so the bucs just traded mike williams to the Bills. they literally have no one on their depth chart after vjax now.

Wide Receiver
    V. Jackson
    S. Dawson
    R. Shepard
    T. Streeter
    C. Owusu
    E. Page
    L. Murphy

bunch of no names plus doody louis murphy.

i think this all but guarentees TB either taking Evans or trading up for Watkins.

now lets say they take Evans at 7....that basically all but assures were not taking a WR at 12. the only way we take a WR round 1 it seems is if we traded back a few picks, because any other WR at that spot would seem like a reach.

we'll prob end up taking one a little later between rounds 2-5 (jerry reese has taken a wr in first 4 rounds 5 of 7 drafts), which also means to me that more likely than not a rookie wr will not be a main part of our offense, maybe a WR3 at best, and well be rolling out with Randle and Cruz as starters.

do the people here feel comfortable with this ? i know weve all, and i have, spoken about Randles involvement and if he can take the next step up. but what about Cruz? is he ready to step in and be the leader and the main guy on the team? we all know hes more of a slot guy, but can he expand his game to be an effective outside WR that can handle a double team? because its a huge question mark if Randle can handle a double team, and coming out of the gate of the regular season we should expect teams to double cruz right away since hes our only legit known WR option thats proven can do something.

i think Cruz will have to prove a lot and expand his game to be able to handle double teams and be able to be the main guy in the offense.

Your guys opinions, thoughts?

Banned

Boards change all the time, I'm sure this will really perplex the pundits of the pig skin….

Cruz is absolute dynamite when we have/had a serious threat on the outside, ala Nicks 2011. I'm not sure we have that on our roster right now. I'm also not sure a rookie WR will be able to provide that immediately. I guess that means I am very nervous about the WR position this year. I hope RR, and MM can provide enough support for Cruz.

I don't think Schiano was committed to Glennon despite him having a decent rookie year. I hardly think that guarantees Smith will be. They can very well go QB.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    Cruz is absolute dynamite when we have/had a serious threat on the outside, ala Nicks 2011. I'm not sure we have that on our roster right now. I'm also not sure a rookie WR will be able to provide that immediately. I guess that means I am very nervous about the WR position this year. I hope RR, and MM can provide enough support for Cruz.
    this is how i feel. Cruz has been at his best when hes had someone who can take the double teams and still play well. and Cruz has clearly struggled when hes the one with multiple defenders on him. and its not his size, Cruz is 6' 200 so he needs to get better at that. if not our passing game could continue to struggle unless Randle and Jernigan reallyyy step up

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    I don't think Schiano was committed to Glennon despite him having a decent rookie year. I hardly think that guarantees Smith will be. They can very well go QB.
    they signed josh mccown to a 2yr $10mill deal too. i dont think they're going to go QB with the 7 pick when they can have those two battle it out for a spot in training camp

I personally don't think WR is high on the Giants list.

Would they probably be very interested in M-Evans if he falls? Yes

But -- I could see us waiting until late in the draft or not picking a WR at all. We already have 4 solid WR options -- we have potentially glaring needs at TE, DT, OT, DE and RB.

I let the pros figure out all the draft scenarios. That's why they get paid. You never know what's going to happen, who might drop to us. Who might trade up to snatch someone unexpectantly. No matter what, we will have plenty of options with the 12th pick. And there are some good WRs worth a second round pick.
    Do not feed the trolls.

If anything I think this may help land Evans. Many people had the Bills taking Evans at 9th, now with Stevie Johnson and Williams they are not going WR, so TB may trade up looking for Watkins which may leave Evans for us!

I personally am NOT comfortable with their current WRs, and I have said so. I think Eli is in decline, although I can't see him being as bad as last year, but still he is going to need a really good receiving corps to help him out. If Cruz gets doubled a lot, which he will unless we get a true #1, he won't have nearly the production he has had. Remember last season? In the beginning of the year Cruz did great when teams thought they still had to worry about Nicks, once teams started focusing on Cruz his numbers became much worse.

The Giants need to try and get Watkins(doubtful) or at least Evans in the draft imo, to really solidify their offense. I think RR is a good receiver, he can be valuable, but he doesn't profile as a #1 at all, he is more like Toomer imo, a good possession receiver who can make a tough catch. After Cruz and RR, who do we have? A broken and old MM, who can't understand an offense and is dumb as a box of rocks, and an unproven JJ, who had 1 or 2 decent games in trash times when teams weren't even looking at defending him. We don't even have a good TE to help out..
    Last edited by BBlue4ever; 04-04-2014 at 02:22 PM.